Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Origen question
09-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Origen question
Hello

I would be grateful if someone could assist me with this, please.

I have the following text:

Origen (Rom v.1) explains that after Christ had defeated Death in his own domain, he was reduced to “not so much reigning as robbing, and driven from his kingdom wandering through deserts and byways seeking for himself unbelievers”.

I take it that Rom v.1 refers to Romans, but does anyone know where I can locate the bit about the devil on the highway in Origen - that is, in which work of his?

Many thanks.

High1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
RE: Origen question
(09-29-2009 11:28 AM)high1 Wrote:  Hello

Origen (Rom v.1) explains that after Christ had defeated Death in his own domain, he was reduced to “not so much reigning as robbing, and driven from his kingdom wandering through deserts and byways seeking for himself unbelievers”.

I take it that Rom v.1 refers to Romans, but does anyone know where I can locate the bit about the devil on the highway in Origen - that is, in which work of his?

Many thanks.

High1

The book is Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans Volume 1. Thats what (Rom v. 1) means. There are an amazing five volumes to Origen's Romans.

Here is the Google Books version. Search on reigning.
09-30-2009, 07:02 AM
Hello Parousia

Many thanks for your very useful reply. I'll chase up those books.

Cheers

Steve
09-30-2009, 09:10 AM
(09-30-2009 07:02 AM)high1 Wrote:  Hello Parousia

Many thanks for your very useful reply. I'll chase up those books.

Cheers

Steve

The Google Books link I provided contains the entirety of the 5 volumes if you don't mind reading online.

But if you want a copy you can write in, highlight, read on the subway etc. try Amazon. But be warned. Being both out of print and popular (!) it is currently selling for about twice list price or more.
09-30-2009, 12:41 PM
(09-29-2009 11:28 AM)high1 Wrote:  Hello

Many thanks.

High1

I understand you where just looking for where it was located,
but could you explain to me what that passage is saying.

Does that mean that after Jesus died he went to hell?
What is that passage saying?

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
09-30-2009, 01:08 PM
(09-30-2009 12:41 PM)Azrael17 Wrote:  I understand you where just looking for where it was located,
but could you explain to me what that passage is saying.

Does that mean that after Jesus died he went to hell?
What is that passage saying?

The passage is not about Jesus nor is it exactly about the devil. The 'person' Origen is referring to is not a person at all but is in fact death. The death and resurrection of Jesus metaphorically destroyed the 'kingdom of death', that is, death as the ultimate victor. The promised resurrection of the dead could now be seen to be a realistic expectation because Jesus showed that it is possible.

Origen may not be an easy read but he is a colorful one.
10-01-2009, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2009 10:56 AM by high1.)
Hello Parousia

Thanks for the Google link.

I've gone through it this afternoon using the 'Search' box to enable me to find the passage I am looking for (using key words such as devil, kingdom, desert, etc - taken from the passage I originally posted) but I can find it nowhere.

Thanks again.

High1
10-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Search 'seeking for himself'. It's on page 325. The text is different to your original quote in its wording, i.e. 'expelled' instead of 'driven from'. It is there though, I found it fairly quickly.

Hope that helps High1, good luck.
10-01-2009, 03:54 PM
(10-01-2009 10:55 AM)high1 Wrote:  Hello Parousia

Thanks for the Google link.

I've gone through it this afternoon using the 'Search' box to enable me to find the passage I am looking for (using key words such as devil, kingdom, desert, etc - taken from the passage I originally posted) but I can find it nowhere.

Thanks again.

High1

Zagreus is right. It is on page 325. (Incidentally that happens to be in Volume 5, not Volume 1 as the original reference stated.)

It can be found the way Zagreus said or by searching on reigning as I previously said. In that case it would be the second hit.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)