Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paganism & Multiculturalism
07-10-2013, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 02:51 PM by Vagabond.)
Paganism & Multiculturalism
Take out those witches and idols and compare just faith and interaction between two faiths. What is the difference between Paganism and Multiculturalism? May be Paganism did not accommodate an achiest or God with no form. Hinduism accommodated even that. Coming back to the question. What is the difference?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2013, 12:05 PM
RE: Paganism & secularism
Am I reading this question right? Take the differences out, and then ask for the differences?

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
Find all posts by this user
07-10-2013, 12:09 PM
You mean to say Paganism is only about witch and idols and you have no words to say about the tolerance shown between two tribes of different faith? Have Abrahamic religions been so tolerant with each other?
07-10-2013, 12:12 PM
(07-10-2013 12:04 PM)Vagabond Wrote:  Take out those witches and idols and compare just faith and interaction between two faiths. What is the difference between Paganism and Multiculturalism?

Well, Paganism is a community of many cultural Gods and practices. If you take out a small portion of the practitioners (not all Pagans are witches,) and take out ritual artwork, you're still left with the beliefs.

Multiculturalism is a group containing many different cultures. No mention of religion specifically, but this would include religion I assume. So Paganism is a multicultural, Eurocentric belief system.

Not sure where this thread was driving towards, to be honest.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
07-10-2013, 02:44 PM
(07-10-2013 12:12 PM)Satyros Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 12:04 PM)Vagabond Wrote:  Take out those witches and idols and compare just faith and interaction between two faiths. What is the difference between Paganism and Multiculturalism?

Well, Paganism is a community of many cultural Gods and practices. If you take out a small portion of the practitioners (not all Pagans are witches,) and take out ritual artwork, you're still left with the beliefs.

Multiculturalism is a group containing many different cultures. No mention of religion specifically, but this would include religion I assume. So Paganism is a multicultural, Eurocentric belief system.

Not sure where this thread was driving towards, to be honest.
Just wanted to say, Pagan society is not an extinct culture. It is still present in today's world with a different label called "Multiculturalism". When many monolithic communities (or cults) learn to coexist without friction, we call it Polytheism. In that case, which culture/religion (monotheism/polytheism) is primitive and which is advanced?
07-10-2013, 02:52 PM
No, Pagan society exists today with the label of Contemporary Paganism. The United Nation is a display of "multiculturalism," as is the United States themselves. Yet one would hardly call those "Pagan."

07-10-2013, 03:13 PM
(07-10-2013 02:52 PM)Satyros Wrote:  No, Pagan society exists today with the label of Contemporary Paganism. The United Nation is a display of "multiculturalism," as is the United States themselves. Yet one would hardly call those "Pagan."
I am aware of this, hence I am asking this. Why not? Those who practice Paganism as a separate group; are they not shrinking (narrowing down) the concept of real Paganism?
07-10-2013, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 03:29 PM by Satyros.)
RE: Paganism & Multiculturalism
No. I've been debating this on the other thread ("Common ground in pagan religions") and quite literally do not have the energy to debate the same thing in two different ways.

Paganism includes "multiculturalism" to the variety of the various European (and to minor inclusion of Egyptian) cultures and their pre-christian theologies, but it is not the exact same thing as "Multiculturalism" to the degree that said term can be taken.

07-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Multiculturalism is a state where in a multitude of differing cultures coexist within a given wider whole; the inverse of this would be monoculture, wherein all minority groups are to (varying degrees) conform to the single, dominant cultural paradigm. nation wise, a decent enough comparison would be Canada (multicultural) and The United States of America (melting pot).

The historic term being left out here for many cultures coexisting together to varying degrees in the ancient world, would be cosmopolitan, and not multi-cultural. Rome was cosmopolitan, but it was far from multicultural.

We are lightning, straying from the thunder; miracles of ancient wonder.
07-10-2013, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 04:57 PM by Vagabond.)
Sorry! In that case, I would participate in the other thread. I just tried to perceive Paganism as a theology. I felt, it takes a beating when one perceives it (the idea) as a separate community from the rest (as Paganism is about inclusiveness). One cannot revive a theology which is still contemporary (which according to me is what happening). But then, to each their own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink neo-paganism Vana 18 1,135 09-20-2014 01:31 AM
Last Post: Vana
  Was Paganism the FIRST belief system megaflies 15 1,555 04-06-2014 06:33 AM
Last Post: 01234g
  Paganism Exposed CabinInTheForest 85 15,366 11-12-2013 06:54 PM
Last Post: Satyros
  Is multiculturalism a good idea for a society? lilJimmy 7 1,309 11-03-2010 11:36 PM
Last Post: Sinlful Hypocrite
  Celtic Paganism Urthred 14 2,578 12-29-2008 05:12 PM
Last Post: dyluck

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)