Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pentacostal laying on of hands
12-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Pentacostal laying on of hands
I have been doing some reading about the Pentacostal movement and I'm wondering if believers of that faith system accept the idea that all members of their faith can heal through laying on of hands, and whether it's believed that all members can speak in tongues.

Wiki is a bit unclear on whether by dint of membership, any person can automatically perform the above 'spiritual gifts'.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2017, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 03:24 PM by Herminator.)
RE: Pentacostal laying on of hands
(12-04-2017 01:06 PM)Visqueen Wrote:  I have been doing some reading about the Pentacostal movement and I'm wondering if believers of that faith system accept the idea that all members of their faith can heal through laying on of hands, and whether it's believed that all members can speak in tongues.

Wiki is a bit unclear on whether by dint of membership, any person can automatically perform the above 'spiritual gifts'.

I remember wondering the same after seeing that "speaking in tongues" video someone posted a short while ago, and the ensuing reading (not that much!) I did Smile

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it
12-05-2017, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2017 10:15 AM by Alison2.)
Speaking in tongues is the least of the spiritual gifts, but many Pentecosts live and die by that one gift. Biblically, for speaking in tongues to be from God, there MUST be an interpreter present - also an ability given by God.

I'm not Pentecost, but 1 Corinthians 14 gives a run-down.

There are Pentecost sects that teach, enforce and believe that if you DON'T speak in tongues, you ain't right with the Lord and you get put under "church discipline."

We (Christians in general) believe that everyone is given a gift, but outside of the Pentecostal church, I don't know anyone who wishes they had that one.

As for laying on of hands / healing, that's in James 5:13-16. Many Christian churches practice it, including mine. Growing up as a Baptist, that wasn't something that was discussed much and I think my congregation would have passed out cold if someone had brought out a vial of frankincense, but there were several occasions of laying on of hands.

In my current church, Church of God, it's a part of our service on Sunday - both the anointing and laying of hands. We've also been known to pull out the oil on Wednesday nights, so it's just part of what we believe and practice.

Let me say that we don't believe that WE can heal ... we believe that God heals.
12-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Quote:Let me say that we don't believe that WE can heal ... we believe that God heals.

Which ailments does God heal? Have you tried it with an amputee?

----------------------
Does anyone know where the love of God goes
when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
12-05-2017, 02:02 PM
(12-05-2017 11:17 AM)The_Squid Wrote:  
Quote:Let me say that we don't believe that WE can heal ... we believe that God heals.

Which ailments does God heal? Have you tried it with an amputee?

Squid, there hasn't been an amputee healed, that I'm aware of, through faith or science.

As for which ailments that God heals, I could tell you MY experience with God and His healing, but I know that isn't what you're wanting. Note that I said that we - Christians - believe that God heals. It's belief. It's fundamental to the practice of Christianity.

I could easily give you the rote response(s) of why bad things are allowed to happen in the world, but you've already heard them and dismissed them, for whatever reason(s).

I know what my faith teaches. I know what I believe. I know in whom I believe. My faith practice is just that - mine. I've been through the paces with it and in the end, it's what works for my life.

Vis asked about a couple of Pentacostal practices. I have some experience with them ... ish ... so I thought I'd put my two cents in. I certainly don't want to derail her thread.
12-05-2017, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2017 07:41 PM by Visqueen.)
Thanks for the response Ali!!

(12-05-2017 10:14 AM)Alison2 Wrote:  Speaking in tongues is the least of the spiritual gifts, but many Pentecosts live and die by that one gift. Biblically, for speaking in tongues to be from God, there MUST be an interpreter present - also an ability given by God.

There are Pentecost sects that teach, enforce and believe that if you DON'T speak in tongues, you ain't right with the Lord and you get put under "church discipline."

The very first thing that popped in my mind about that practice is that it must lead to fakery. Or I would think so. That is, the threat of being put under discipline might easily lead people to faking it.

Ali Wrote:We (Christians in general) believe that everyone is given a gift,

By this do you mean a spiritual gift of some power? Just wanting to understand you as some of these words can be interpreted different ways. I mean that it seems for those who believe they are speaking in tongues for example, that is a grant of a certain amount of power to relay a message from God (I presume that's the idea?)

Or do you mean that the gift is being a believer and therefore assuring oneself of a place in heaven?

Ali Wrote:but outside of the Pentecostal church, I don't know anyone who wishes they had that one.

As for laying on of hands / healing, that's in James 5:13-16. Many Christian churches practice it, including mine. Growing up as a Baptist, that wasn't something that was discussed much and I think my congregation would have passed out cold if someone had brought out a vial of frankincense, but there were several occasions of laying on of hands.

Here you'll have to explain further. Does the laying on of hands require the use of frankincense? I was under the impression but could be completely wrong - that actual touching is not necessary. That such people place their hands just over the person's body but keep them in the air. Or is that just an embarrassed Canadian version of the practice?

Ali Wrote:In my current church, Church of God, it's a part of our service on Sunday - both the anointing and laying of hands. We've also been known to pull out the oil on Wednesday nights, so it's just part of what we believe and practice.

What happens on Wednesdays? More info please.Smile

ALi Wrote:Let me say that we don't believe that WE can heal ... we believe that God heals.

Understood - but it's easy for me to imagine a group of people or a church deciding that the person who can do such a thing - be the conduit - is more special than those who can't. That they are necessary for the action to take place, they are perhaps just as important as the divine intervention. If you follow me.
12-06-2017, 10:02 AM
(12-05-2017 07:40 PM)Visqueen Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 10:14 AM)Alison2 Wrote:  Speaking in tongues is the least of the spiritual gifts, but many Pentecosts live and die by that one gift. Biblically, for speaking in tongues to be from God, there MUST be an interpreter present - also an ability given by God.

The very first thing that popped in my mind about that practice is that it must lead to fakery. Or I would think so. That is, the threat of being put under discipline might easily lead people to faking it.

For some sects, yes. As an adult, I haven’t spent much time in a Pentecost church but as a child, my mother’s family were members of one and I’d go to church with them when we visited. There were a couple of people that always went to shouting in tongues and whatnot, which made many others respond in various ways. I never did understand it, but it seemed like everyone was happy about it.

Ali Wrote:We (Christians in general) believe that everyone is given a gift,

By this do you mean a spiritual gift of some power? Just wanting to understand you as some of these words can be interpreted different ways. I mean that it seems for those who believe they are speaking in tongues for example, that is a grant of a certain amount of power to relay a message from God (I presume that's the idea?)

Or do you mean that the gift is being a believer and therefore assuring oneself of a place in heaven?

We believe that everyone is given a gift by God. Romans 12 and 1 Corinthians 12 list them:

prophesying, serving, teaching, encouraging, giving, leadership, and mercy (Romans)

word of wisdom, the word of knowledge, faith, healing, miraculous powers, prophecy, distinguishing between spirits, speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues (Corinthians)

I don’t know that I’d describe them as power. For instance, my gift seems to be service. I cook, clean, make meals for sick/surgery/whatever, do the behind-the-scene stuff. Now, saying that we believe that we are all given a gift isn’t to say that we are only given one. I’d like to say that I’m a pretty decent encourager. I definitely have faith and I have no problem giving. I’m not so much merciful, though I’m working on it. I can’t teach. At. All. Not even to fill in if the teacher is out. I absolutely cannot teach. It’s just not in me. I’m not much on leadership, but I can organize.

I’ve known some very wise, knowledgeable pastors, leaders, elders, deacons, church members. I don’t really know how to describe them other than to say that you just know that they’re wise. I’m sure you have someone in your life that just always seems to have good advice, someone that you trust and migrate to when you need some clarity. It’s similar to that.

Prophecy is one of those things that gets a bad rap from all of the “end of the world-ers” who set a date. That isn’t the experience of prophecy that I’ve had. I may be over-simplifying it, but it’s more of what’s coming down the pike, if that makes any sense.

Healing, miraculous powers … Here’s what I’ve been taught: The Apostles were given the abilities in the early church to affirm God’s message, what Jesus taught. Obviously, humans can’t heal or perform miracles as were done in the first church, but we have medicine, physicians and such.

Ali Wrote:but outside of the Pentecostal church, I don't know anyone who wishes they had that one.

Here you'll have to explain further. Does the laying on of hands require the use of frankincense? I was under the impression but could be completely wrong - that actual touching is not necessary. That such people place their hands just over the person's body but keep them in the air. Or is that just an embarrassed Canadian version of the practice?

Frankincense isn’t required. It’s just what is generally sold at Lifeway or Mardel’s. Any oil can be used – it’s more about the act than the product. James 5:14 :

Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord.

I don’t know if every church touches or not. Ours does. And if you’re two or three deep and can’t actually touch the person, you just put your hand on the person in front of you if you want, or just be there. Whatever works for you. It’s not about making people uncomfortable or feeling weird. Anointing is voluntary. During that time of our service, if you have something you’d like to be prayed for or anointed over, you come up, you’re anointed and the elder/pastor prays over you. When there is a major need, surgery for instance, that has been a time where the church body would be asked to participate in the anointing.

In our church, it isn’t a Benny Hinn type gig. We believe in the power of prayer and we believe that God can and does heal.

Ali Wrote:In my current church, Church of God, it's a part of our service on Sunday - both the anointing and laying of hands. We've also been known to pull out the oil on Wednesday nights, so it's just part of what we believe and practice.

What happens on Wednesdays? More info please.Smile

Wednesday nights … we have a meal (that’s where my gift comes in, lol, because I cook), the youth have a class and the adults have a class, like a bible study group. Before the class starts, prayer requests are given, just like on Sunday mornings. We also do it Sunday evenings.

ALi Wrote:Let me say that we don't believe that WE can heal ... we believe that God heals.

Understood - but it's easy for me to imagine a group of people or a church deciding that the person who can do such a thing - be the conduit - is more special than those who can't. That they are necessary for the action to take place, they are perhaps just as important as the divine intervention. If you follow me.

I believe that anyone can anoint. I believe all it takes is faith in the scripture. If you believe that God can heal, either through divine intervention or though physicians and medicine or through any means, then it doesn’t matter if you use Crisco because that’s all you have on hand, or if you use olive oil or a dab of lotion by your nightstand.

I can see, though, how some sects would use that angle (the conduit/special person) to wield a sense of power within the church.
12-07-2017, 12:28 AM
Quote:When there is a major need, surgery for instance, that has been a time where the church body would be asked to participate in the anointing.

Surgery? Clearly you’re using this term in a different way than usual.

Why does God only heal things we can’t see do you think? Never a new limb...

----------------------
Does anyone know where the love of God goes
when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
12-07-2017, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2017 08:32 AM by journeyman.)
(12-04-2017 01:06 PM)Visqueen Wrote:  I have been doing some reading about the Pentacostal movement and I'm wondering if believers of that faith system accept the idea that all members of their faith can heal through laying on of hands, and whether it's believed that all members can speak in tongues.

I've spoken to members of different pentecostal churches. Never heard one say all may heal, but some did believe everyone could speak in tongues. Matthew Henrys' commentary on 1 Cor.14 is excellent for understanding the gift of tongues.

(12-07-2017 12:28 AM)The_Squid Wrote:  Why does God only heal things we can’t see do you think?...

He doesn't, although according to Jesus having sin forgiven is more important than physical healing. Anyone can look up cases of instantaneous healing for which MDs' have no answer.
12-07-2017, 09:29 AM
(12-07-2017 08:10 AM)journeyman Wrote:  

I've spoken to members of different pentecostal churches. Never heard one say all may heal, but some did believe everyone could speak in tongues. Matthew Henrys' commentary on 1 Cor.14 is excellent for understanding the gift of tongues.

(12-07-2017 12:28 AM)The_Squid Wrote:  Why does God only heal things we can’t see do you think?...

He doesn't, although according to Jesus having sin forgiven is more important than physical healing. Anyone can look up cases of instantaneous healing for which MDs' have no answer.

And for which there is zero evidence they are in any way "divine". There's also auto-healing and the placebo effect in play.

And Squid is correct: such cases of "instantaneous healing" have never been shown to actually heal serious illnesses, like cancer or severed limbs.

It's always "invisble" illnesses, or very minor ones like common colds.

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)