Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Personal Christianity
06-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Personal Christianity
As most of you know I am no fan of organized religions. On these boards I am especially hard on Muslims and Zionist Jews. Had this been the 14th or 15th centuries I would be railing against the Catholics. I am an equal opportunity prophet of doom for organized religions.Tongue But I have good reasons to be hard on them I tell you.

I think and the historical record backs me up that when religious believers stop thinking for themselves about important social matters and start relying on one of the various ancient Scripts of the organized religions, then social troubles, usually in the form of religiously inspired warfare, is usually not long in coming. The Abrahamic organized religions are especially guilty of producing warring religionists who have caused great damage in the world with wars based on religious intolerance.

Over above the great propensity of organized Abrahamic religions to inspire religious warfare is the devaluing of individual thought and religious freedom to discover one's own personal relationship with God. Organized Abrahamic religions offer people remedies in their various Scripts for social ills that allow believers to think they've completed their obligation to God and society by becoming co-members with others who have also given up individually arrived at thought to join in one of the organized religions. Psychologists tell us there is a great need in many people to have authority figures telling them how to think and how to act so organized religions become very popular with the masses who are willing to trade lack of freedom to think for themselves with inclusion in a group mindset where difficult decision-making is reduced to reading and obeying verses by ancient religious leaders found in one of the ancient Scripts. Scripts do not have to be religious, btw, to blind and bind their believers to their stated goals, e.g. Marxist-Leninism, e.g. Nazism.

Here and there in the historical record there have philosophical and spiritual revolts against organized religions. One such revolt was seen in the Gnostic movement that began in earnest with Greek-speaking Jews in Alexandria, Egypt some time in the 1st or perhaps 2nd century B.C. One of the primary elements of gnosticism was reliance on oneself as the only true authority that could receive knowledge of God, "gnosis". To Gnostics when one relied on ancient texts and their priesthood intercessors between believer and God, one gave up establishing an authentic relationship with God which can only be one to One. Going through others not yourself was getting a second-hand, third-hand, nth-hand facsimile of a true relationship, not the real deal. Not all Gnostics believed this way, e.g. the Manicheans and Mandeans, but most did. Ancient Scripts and ancient religious authorities were not placed on pedestals where their ideas could not be examined. In fact, God was often placed under scrutiny by the early Gnostics and found wanting which records the most anarchistic revolt in religious history.

I give this brief background to gnosticism to come to the point of the post: personal Christianity which is to say a belief in Christ and Christ's spiritual messages that not dependent on placing absolute faith in the traditional New Testament Story of Christ but placing faith in one's own personal spiritual communion with God and the Spirit of Christ. The ancient words are then of secondary importance to direct contact with God via the experience of gnosis.

Because the traditional Christian writings about Jesus Christ are in the realm of religious propaganda and fiction, no Christian can claim absolute knowledge of just who or what "Jesus Christ" was or is. The Story varies with the authors plus there is no reliable non-Christian vetting of the Story of Jesus Christ. Like the Story of Moses and the Exodus, the tales are so filled with fantastic happenings which cannot be verified by either archeology or common sense, that to believe in the Gospel accounts is to deliberately throw rationality to the wind in order not to think, to have one's thinking done for them by ancient men. Organized religions ultimately dull intellectual and moral individual thought processes as far as I'm concerned. Only the individual in his/her historical time frame can arrive at truth for themselves. Relying for truth in ancient men only arrives at their personal truths, not yours. Relying on oneself for gnosis of God is called following the Solitary Path and for those seeking authentic spiritual knowledge of God it is the only way to do it.

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2010, 10:38 PM
RE: Personal Christianity
Existence of God or don't exist is not important, it is important everyone happyness.The idea of Personal Christianity are unique.

herve leger on sale
07-02-2010, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2010 01:55 PM by digipixel.)
(06-30-2010 09:42 PM)biomystic Wrote:  As most of you know I am no fan of organized religions. On these boards I am especially hard on Muslims and Zionist Jews. Had this been the 14th or 15th centuries I would be railing against the Catholics. I am an equal opportunity prophet of doom for organized religions.Tongue But I have good reasons to be hard on them I tell you.

I think and the historical record backs me up that when religious believers stop thinking for themselves about important social matters and start relying on one of the various ancient Scripts of the organized religions, then social troubles, usually in the form of religiously inspired warfare, is usually not long in coming. The Abrahamic organized religions are especially guilty of producing warring religionists who have caused great damage in the world with wars based on religious intolerance.

Over above the great propensity of organized Abrahamic religions to inspire religious warfare is the devaluing of individual thought and religious freedom to discover one's own personal relationship with God. Organized Abrahamic religions offer people remedies in their various Scripts for social ills that allow believers to think they've completed their obligation to God and society by becoming co-members with others who have also given up individually arrived at thought to join in one of the organized religions. Psychologists tell us there is a great need in many people to have authority figures telling them how to think and how to act so organized religions become very popular with the masses who are willing to trade lack of freedom to think for themselves with inclusion in a group mindset where difficult decision-making is reduced to reading and obeying verses by ancient religious leaders found in one of the ancient Scripts. Scripts do not have to be religious, btw, to blind and bind their believers to their stated goals, e.g. Marxist-Leninism, e.g. Nazism.

Here and there in the historical record there have philosophical and spiritual revolts against organized religions. One such revolt was seen in the Gnostic movement that began in earnest with Greek-speaking Jews in Alexandria, Egypt some time in the 1st or perhaps 2nd century B.C. One of the primary elements of gnosticism was reliance on oneself as the only true authority that could receive knowledge of God, "gnosis". To Gnostics when one relied on ancient texts and their priesthood intercessors between believer and God, one gave up establishing an authentic relationship with God which can only be one to One. Going through others not yourself was getting a second-hand, third-hand, nth-hand facsimile of a true relationship, not the real deal. Not all Gnostics believed this way, e.g. the Manicheans and Mandeans, but most did. Ancient Scripts and ancient religious authorities were not placed on pedestals where their ideas could not be examined. In fact, God was often placed under scrutiny by the early Gnostics and found wanting which records the most anarchistic revolt in religious history.

I give this brief background to gnosticism to come to the point of the post: personal Christianity which is to say a belief in Christ and Christ's spiritual messages that not dependent on placing absolute faith in the traditional New Testament Story of Christ but placing faith in one's own personal spiritual communion with God and the Spirit of Christ. The ancient words are then of secondary importance to direct contact with God via the experience of gnosis.

Because the traditional Christian writings about Jesus Christ are in the realm of religious propaganda and fiction, no Christian can claim absolute knowledge of just who or what "Jesus Christ" was or is. The Story varies with the authors plus there is no reliable non-Christian vetting of the Story of Jesus Christ. Like the Story of Moses and the Exodus, the tales are so filled with fantastic happenings which cannot be verified by either archeology or common sense, that to believe in the Gospel accounts is to deliberately throw rationality to the wind in order not to think, to have one's thinking done for them by ancient men. Organized religions ultimately dull intellectual and moral individual thought processes as far as I'm concerned. Only the individual in his/her historical time frame can arrive at truth for themselves. Relying for truth in ancient men only arrives at their personal truths, not yours. Relying on oneself for gnosis of God is called following the Solitary Path and for those seeking authentic spiritual knowledge of God it is the only way to do it.

Thoughts?

So, are we to throw all scripture out the window? What guidance do we have other than our on internal spiritual experiences? What should be our starting point to know and experience the presence of God in our lives?
07-02-2010, 07:59 PM
"So, are we to throw all scripture out the window? What guidance do we have other than our on internal spiritual experiences? What should be our starting point to know and experience the presence of God in our lives?
[/quote]

Throw away Word idolatry. When you read about Einstein's theories are you required to become a physicist? Or do we have a different code of behavior for accepting spiritual knowledge vs. secular knowledge? Why can't we read the Books as ancient wisdom literature like we do for the pagan men of wisdom? Why do we let ourselves become blinded to the fact that spiritual consciousness is not uniformly received by people and indeed cannot be so received because we are not clones and each of us learns things in different ways? I am fully Christian, fully believe the Gospel of John to be one of the most important spiritually true documents around, yet I do not subscribe to every word of John being the true Voice of Jesus. In other words, there is no reason to make John and his gospel into idols that one must believe in totally in order to receive valuable spiritual knowledge. Look at Jesus' example of whittling the whole Ten Commandments and 613 Mitzvot Laws down to two Great Commandments.

My point is that personal religious experience of God is the real core of belief, not swearing allegiance to the flag of Christian texts written by others not yourself. You don't have to swear allegiance to Shakespeare or Isaac Newton to get much knowledge out of their works. Why should we let ancient Books with valuable information be any different? One can start the process of personal spirituality without needing to join any religious cult.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Personal faith and life transforming spirituality kloepp 7 1,261 01-15-2013 04:16 PM
Last Post: StarStuff
  A personal relationship with Jesus Huitaca 40 4,874 10-08-2011 03:53 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  Describe your personal "heaven" StarStuff 15 3,103 08-14-2011 07:36 PM
Last Post: Flipper
  Is Jesus your personal beast of burden? Greatest I am 7 1,837 08-25-2010 08:39 AM
Last Post: Greatest I am

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)