Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Peter and the Gates of Heaven--borrowed pagan mythology
03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Peter and the Gates of Heaven--borrowed pagan mythology
Pagan origins of the Peter/rock story

From "The Chief Gods of Rome:

"There were two gods of ancient Rome which were pre-eminently worshipped as PETER-gods. One was JU-PETER (Zeus-Peter). The other, says the Classical Manual, was JANUS, called PATER or PETER (see page 389). Sometimes these two gods are confused. But they are to be reckoned as distinct -- relative to Roman paganism of the First Century. The latter god, JANUS-PETER, had some interesting roles to play in the pagan religion at Rome. These roles answer the question: Who was the original Peter of Rome? Notice a brief history and some of the activities of this god.

Plutarch in his life of Numa, gives us the identity of JANUS. Originally, according to Plutarch, Janus was an ancient prince who reigned in the infancy of the world. He brought men from a rude and savage life to a mild and rational system. HE was the first to build cities and the first to establish government over men. After his death he was deified. There can be no mistaking who this JANUS was! This title was just another of the many names of Nimrod. This ancient prince who was violently killed, was later deified by the pagan religions. Because of his high authority, he was called a PATOR or PETER.

Here are some of the religious activities of which JANUS-PETER was in charge.

It was JANUS-PETER who was pre-eminent in interpreting the times -- especially prophecy. "The past and the future was always present in his mind" (Classical Manual, pages 388 and 389). He was pictured as being double-faced. Plutarch said this was a symbol of his endeavor to change men from barbarism to civilization -- that is, bring them to the civilization of NIMROD. One of JANUS' roles, after his deification as a god, was the continuation of his sacred task of "civilizing" men.

Janus-Peter Had "Keys": The PETER-god JANUS was to the ancient Romans the "KEEPER OF THE GATES OF HEAVEN AND EARTH." "HE IS REPRESENTED WITH A KEY IN ONE HAND . . . as emblematic of his presiding over GATES and highways." The pagan Romans were calling their JANUS a PETER hundreds of years before the birth of the Apostle Peter. It was this JANUS who was in charge of the "pearly gates"! The very word JANUS means "gates," that is, the one in charge of the GATES.

The Classical Manual continues: "Ovid speaks of him [Janus] in the first book of his Fasti; his face is double to denote his equal empire over the heavens and the earth -- [does not the Pope claim the same power today?] -- and that all things are open and shut to him AT HIS WILL -- [he was infallible and answered to no one for his actions, so the Pope] -- that he governs the universe [Catholicum], and alone possesses the power of making the world revolve on its axis; THAT HE PRESIDES OVER THE GATES OF HEAVEN."

Catholics Claim the "Keys":

The Catholic Church claims Peter gave to it the keys of the gates of heaven and that no one will enter into God's presence unless that church opens the gates. The very word "Cardinal" means "hinge." The Cardinals of the Roman Church are the HINGES upon which the GATE -- the Pope -- is able to turn.

The Classical Manual continues: "the successions of day and night are regulated by his influence; and that the east and the west is at one moment open to his view." It was JANUS-PETER who also controlled the calendar by his priests. The first month of the year was named after him to show his control over the years. So, today, we still have JANU-ary as the first month. The Catholic Church, like the priests of Janus, feels it has this same authority over the calendar today."

Petra was a counterpart of Hades in Greek mythology. Petra held the Key to the Pearly Gates of Celestial Aphrodite who deposited semen in rocks as gemstones. The "Petras" stones were very much like the phallic Asherah stone pillars. And that is why "Peter" is a nickname for penis, for Pete's sake.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2010, 07:08 PM
RE: Peter and the Gates of Heaven--borrowed pagan mythology
Straight from http://www.remnantofgod.org/ I wouldn't trust this website with my wallet any day, kind sir.
03-05-2010, 09:51 PM
(03-05-2010 07:08 PM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  Straight from http://www.remnantofgod.org/ I wouldn't trust this website with my wallet any day, kind sir.

And I wouldn't trust the Catholic Church with anyone's children. It's the information you need to be addressing, not website sources. If you can offer proof that the Janus-Pater information is wrong, please post it so we can see why you think so.
03-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Despite the dubiousness of your source, OP, it's not surprising popularly held Roman pagan beliefs carried over or found parallels in early Christianity that remained with the Catholic Church since the two coexisted for many generations.

Ultimately, so what? The idea of Peter standing at the gates of heaven is not a required belief for Catholics. It's nothing more than a popular image.

Quote:18 "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it. 19 "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

Anyone who knows Catholicism knows Catholics don't believe Peter is literally holding the keys to heaven and stamping our hands for admission. The image springs from the above passage, and to Catholics, it is Jesus conferring earthly authority on Peter so that he may protect the Church, or "His City."

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah
03-08-2010, 04:10 PM
"Man arrested and in jail for 3 months for TicTacs!" Yeah, everything on this website is bull my friend.
03-08-2010, 04:45 PM
This thread is a joke.
03-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Quote:"Man arrested and in jail for 3 months for TicTacs!" Yeah, everything on this website is bull my friend.

Clearly, he was framed. By 'Romish' conspirators no doubt.

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah
03-08-2010, 06:21 PM
(03-08-2010 04:45 PM)TheCatholic Wrote:  This thread is a joke.
Indeed, a joke indeed.
03-08-2010, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2010 07:45 PM by Venedi Sporoi.)
Bio, don't turn into an Azrael. You do some good research on some of this obscure stuff like this, but I can be baffled by your conclusions. The root of the word Peter is from "Petros" or "Stone", and the "Piter" in Jupiter means "father" (As in Pater, Pedar, Padre, patriarch, etc.) Jupiter is from "Dyeus Pater", or "Father God", or as you say, "Father Zeus." Considering how important Janus probably once was back in Italy during Etruscan times, it's not surprising that Janus would have the same title. Anyway, I wish you'd use a higher standard of skepticism, and at least only equate figures with similar names when they are actually very similar. Other people have used your sort of speculations as well, and concluded that Janus is based on based on the Babylonian Uanna, who others in turn equate with the Biblical Jonah who preached to the Assyrians. I suppose that means Peter is Jonah?
03-08-2010, 11:30 PM
(03-08-2010 07:44 PM)Venedi Sporoi Wrote:  Bio, don't turn into an Azrael. You do some good research on some of this obscure stuff like this, but I can be baffled by your conclusions. The root of the word Peter is from "Petros" or "Stone", and the "Piter" in Jupiter means "father" (As in Pater, Pedar, Padre, patriarch, etc.) Jupiter is from "Dyeus Pater", or "Father God", or as you say, "Father Zeus." Considering how important Janus probably once was back in Italy during Etruscan times, it's not surprising that Janus would have the same title. Anyway, I wish you'd use a higher standard of skepticism, and at least only equate figures with similar names when they are actually very similar. Other people have used your sort of speculations as well, and concluded that Janus is based on based on the Babylonian Uanna, who others in turn equate with the Biblical Jonah who preached to the Assyrians. I suppose that means Peter is Jonah?

It's the obvious similarities in stated roles that I or anyone non-biased by Christian dogma will see connecting Peter's role in the Gospel with the mythical role of Janus-Pater. I am not jumping to conclusions that aren't warranted by the information available. They are what they are and scholars will tell you that if you think Christianity isn't like every other religious system, i.e. built over older religious frameworks with monotheistic concepts derived from earlier polytheistic ones, then I can't help those who want to believe they have something unique when it isn't at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Peter and the Papacy - The Truth TheCatholic 16 2,390 04-22-2010 12:03 PM
Last Post: karma_sleeper

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)