Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pope Benedict XVI
01-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Pope Benedict XVI
I'm just wondering if anyone thinks if he's doing a good job as our Pope. A lot of people are putting negative views on him, but I think that's just because he had some pretty big shoes to fill.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2010, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2010 12:00 PM by Ahmadi.)
RE: Pope Benedict XVI
I write this because you asked. My personal hope and prayer is that we can move towards co-operation on common issues as during the time of Pope John Paul II.

Here is the Foreword of a book titled, 'A Rejoinder To Pope's Allegations Against Islam' by Prof. by M.A. Cheema. He teaches at a Muslim seminary in Canada. He writes:

Head of the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Benedict XVI, during his lecture, delivered on 12thSeptember 2006 at the University of Regensburg in Germany, criticized Islam. Under the shadow of centuries old so called dialogue between Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus and an educated Persian, on the subject of Christianity and Islam, and the truth of both. In the selection of a very small segment of the dialogue Pope made target to the Holy Prophet of Islam. He might be testing the patience of the Muslims, but in reality he not only ruined, the years long efforts of his predecessor in moments but also he exposed himself to the entire world, where he stands. In the citation of discourse of the emperor he said, "Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached" .
In this way, the Pope leveled false accusations against the Holy Prophet of Islam under the shelter of so called dialogue between Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus and a Persian scholar. This statement was astonishing for the whole world in general and particular for the Muslims. The so called dialogue starts as comparison behveen Christianity and Islam and From the citation of a bit of dialogue by the Pope, the main impression is created that God forbid, whatever the Holy prophet of Islam brought that was new, is full of evils, or in other words before the Holy Prophet of Islam there were teachings full of wisdom and knowledge having suitability to mankind but whatever new he brought that was full of incompatibility to the human values and full of evils. Then he especially quoted, "such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached". In this way he presented Islam as the religion of horror and terror. He also presented the Islamic concept of God as irrational and beyond the limits of experience, existing out side the material world which is different from the Greek mythology and the Biblical concept of God.
I do not hesitate to say that it was the prophet of Islam, who not only taught the people manners and human values but accomplished all the moral standards through his excellent examples. In the entire human race he is the only person who can be presented as perfect exemplar for mankind. In teaching ethics and good manners to humanity he is well recognized in the history of religion. The supremacy of Islam over all the religion is obvious and this whole credit goes to the Holy Prophet of Islam. This is not just lip service but it is the truth and reality.
Being Muslims it is our prime duty to accept this challenge, to show not only to the Pope, but to the entire Christian world, the true picture of Islam and Christianity and prove with logic and wisdom that whatever new thing was brought by the Holy prophet of Islam that was all good, nothing but the good, and he was not the promoter of evil, rather he was the promoter of peace brotherhood and harmony in the world. It cannot be denied that by his appearance evils and immoralities vanished away from the scene.

M.A. Cheema

http://www.alislam.org/topics/response-t..._Islam.pdf

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
01-30-2010, 11:16 AM
What he said was a quote from a separate scholar. These are not his true views, he was stated saying that Islam is a beautiful religion and that he envies their faith.
01-30-2010, 12:44 PM
(01-30-2010 11:16 AM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  What he said was a quote from a separate scholar. These are not his true views, he was stated saying that Islam is a beautiful religion and that he envies their faith.

Holy Babylon I have found you to be an honest person so I will take your word for this. But, I wish he had found a better person to quote from, Thomas Carlyle, Sir Bernard Shaw, John Davenport, SP Scott to name a few. Here is a Google - knol with a lot of excerpts from Western writers about the Prophet Muhammad and the Quran:

http://knol.google.com/k/tribute-to-isla...m-writers#

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
01-30-2010, 07:55 PM
I wish people would start recognizing Islam itself and not so much its extremists (although we should still recognize them so we can get rid of their violence).
01-31-2010, 11:39 AM
(01-30-2010 10:54 AM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  I'm just wondering if anyone thinks if he's doing a good job as our Pope. A lot of people are putting negative views on him, but I think that's just because he had some pretty big shoes to fill.

In my opinion, he has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth, while in South America he said:

Quote:The proclamation of Jesus and of his Gospel did not at any point involve an alienation of the pre-Columbus cultures, nor was it the imposition of a foreign culture

Which was not true in South America, or anywhere else during colonization.

He hasn't been horrible, but he has a tendency to put his foot in it.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
01-31-2010, 11:55 AM
He has an idealized view of Catholicism, as many Catholics do. I preferred John Paul II, who seemed at least to realize that the church had made lots of mistakes, and he actually made up for some of them. Benedict... doesn't really see church mistakes.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-31-2010, 06:20 PM
I see why people don't like him then. I still like him, but I can see everyone's point now.
01-31-2010, 06:22 PM
(01-31-2010 06:20 PM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  I see why people don't like him then. I still like him, but I can see everyone's point now.

I don't like or dislike him, really. He's done a decent job. I don't think he's fantastic, nor do I think he was the best choice for Pope, but he works with what hes got.

He just has to start thinking before he talks.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
01-31-2010, 06:38 PM
I think if he had come before John Paul II, he would have been a bad pope. But since he came after John Paul II, he's all right. I mean, he's not undoing JP II's reforms, he's just... not making any more reforms. And I do love how he's reaching out to the Muslims and trying to emphasize the peace and love aspect of Christianity, at least somewhat. He's not bad, just... worse than JP II was.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pray with the Pope bradleywilliam 11 1,713 10-14-2013 09:07 PM
Last Post: Satyros
  the election of a new Pope Visqueen 44 3,230 03-18-2013 05:49 PM
Last Post: Annolennar
  Pope to resign? StarStuff 11 1,593 03-04-2013 01:32 PM
Last Post: Visqueen
  Wherever the pope goes with his circus... julio 10 1,519 01-25-2013 12:50 PM
Last Post: Painkiller
  The Pope Robert 20 3,780 01-25-2013 12:10 PM
Last Post: .R.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)