Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Posession in various religions
01-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Posession in various religions
I know, obviously, of possession in Catholicism, and in Vodou, Santeria, Lukumi, Candomble, et cetera, but I am curious what other belief systems think of possession, whether they view it as good or ill, and why.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2010, 02:23 AM
RE: Posession in various religions
Fundamentalist Protestant Christians believe in possession just as traditional Catholics do. But while traditional Catholics have rituals of exorcism, fundamentalist protestants believe simply calling on the name of Jesus and demanding the demon be cast out works.

Frank Peretti wrote two novels about it, This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness. The details of spiritual warfare were just made up, but the way the mortals respond to the spiritual warfare is more or less what fundamentalists believe. There was a guy named Jim Logan who claimed to be something of a Baptist exorcist as well, though given that he considered playing Dungeons and Dragons a sure gateway to demonic possession I suspect he was just a fraudster.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
(01-05-2010 02:23 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Fundamentalist Protestant Christians believe in possession just as traditional Catholics do. But while traditional Catholics have rituals of exorcism, fundamentalist protestants believe simply calling on the name of Jesus and demanding the demon be cast out works.

Frank Peretti wrote two novels about it, This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness. The details of spiritual warfare were just made up, but the way the mortals respond to the spiritual warfare is more or less what fundamentalists believe. There was a guy named Jim Logan who claimed to be something of a Baptist exorcist as well, though given that he considered playing Dungeons and Dragons a sure gateway to demonic possession I suspect he was just a fraudster.

But what about speaking in tongues and such, isn't that possession by the Holy Spirit? I mean, is possession always negative in other faiths? I know it is in Catholicism, except for the Holy Spirit, is considered negative.

Are there any other faiths save for the Afro-Caribbean religions that DON'T view it as negative?
01-05-2010, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2010 04:33 AM by Venedi Sporoi.)
Well, if you want to include any kind of posession, not just exorcist-style, I think I've read of a couple of interesting examples. There is the belief of a postmortem possession of the body by an evil spirit, such as the vampire. Second, there was the ancient Greek belief that intoxicating wine allowed one to be "posessed" by Dionysus, and a host of other entheogenic examples.
01-06-2010, 09:32 AM
I didn't think that Fundies believed in possession, usually us Catholics are critized for believing in it.
01-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Mainstream protestants don't. It's just the crazy fundies who take spiritual warfare literally, which means possession (these are the same people who generally think the Pope is an, or the, anti-christ.)

As for speaking in tongues, that's not seen as possession. That's a "gift" of the holy spirit, one of many gifts the holy spirit can give. In fundamentalist baptist congregations it is seen as a rare thing, and very often either someone faking it or demonic possession (though they believe there are exceptions.) Pentacostals and other more charismatic faiths, however, take speaking in tongues as a standard thing, a gift given to every true Christian.

Keep in mind that as you get to the crazy fundamentalist end of Protestant churches, each church is really a separate body unto itself. What one fundie church believes may be quite different from what another fundie church believes, even if they both call themselves "Baptist" or "Pentacostal."

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I know this is off topic but I think possession is more of a mental health issue in most cases.
01-06-2010, 06:33 PM
(01-06-2010 06:13 PM)mcrickeo Wrote:  I know this is off topic but I think possession is more of a mental health issue in most cases.

Depends on the case, as you've said, but there are various types, and I'm not just talking exorcist here.

Interesting how most religions seem to view it as negative, however, apparently.
01-07-2010, 10:27 AM
well... would you want some outside entity good or evil to take over your thoughts and free will?

i believe why the holy spirit in christian faith is taken in a good light is because it is invited.
01-07-2010, 02:12 PM
(01-07-2010 10:27 AM)rena Wrote:  well... would you want some outside entity good or evil to take over your thoughts and free will?

i believe why the holy spirit in christian faith is taken in a good light is because it is invited.

If it was invited, as the lwa are invited to possess in Vodou for celebrations, I'd have no problem with it. Been there, done that, seen video of myself -- doesn't bother me.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)