Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Problems with Revelation 21:6
06-27-2009, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2009 04:25 PM by MatthewJacobson.)
Problems with Revelation 21:6
"And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely."
If this is a literal thing then how come people die of thirst lots?
If it is a metaphor then how is life given freely when people die fighting for their lives which arent give to them?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2009, 04:21 PM
RE: Problems with Genesis 21:6
(06-27-2009 04:10 PM)MatthewJacobson Wrote:  "And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely."
If this is a literal thing then how come people die of thirst lots?
If it is a metaphor then how is life given freely when people die fighting for their lives which arent give to them?

Whoever told you that comes from Genesis was having you on. It is from the final chapter in the Bible, and it refers to a time when the earth is no more.
06-27-2009, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2009 04:24 PM by MatthewJacobson.)
RE: Problems with Genesis 21:6
Whoever told you that comes from Genesis was having you on. It is from the final chapter in the Bible, and it refers to a time when the earth is no more.
It is a revelation number 21:6 I got this wrong sorry
http://bible.cc/revelation/21-6.htm this is an source of translation.
06-29-2009, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2009 08:29 AM by Stereophonic.)
RE: Problems with Revelation 21:6
(06-27-2009 04:10 PM)MatthewJacobson Wrote:  ...If this is a literal thing then how come people die of thirst lots?...If it is a metaphor then how is life given freely when people die fighting for their lives which arent give to them?

You are asking a question that pertains to hermeneutics (interpretation). There are numerous ways which you could go about learning methods of Biblical interpretation, if that's what you really want to do. But if all you're going to do is ask questions on Internet forums, you're likely to get all sorts of "answers" to your questions, many of which will not be any better (or even as good) as your own guesses.

Here are some resources, in case you're interested. Many of these would be available at a public library.

How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth

How to Read the Bible Book by Book

Grasping God's Word

Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible

The Message of Revelation

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
06-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Ah, here we go again. MatthewJacobson, as a public service, allow me to illuminate:

Stereophonic links to books on Amazon when he doesn't know the answer himself. Rather than admit this, he will dodge the question and lie about it.

But don't take my word for it, try and get him to actually debate something and see for yourself. But don't trust his sources, and don't believe for a second that he knows more than you. Those are intimidation tactics he uses to bully his point of view through.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
06-29-2009, 09:36 PM
I agree with GT here, if your so knowledgeble Stereophonic you could at least give an example of how conflicts such as this could be resolved using intepretation, even using an example from one of your books. A quick concise example could demonstrate the christian response to this much better then telling us to read 5 books, on your assurance we will then be able to resolve this one apparent disrepancy.

my atheism is just like your religion
only i subtract 1 one more god
06-29-2009, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2009 06:28 AM by Stereophonic.)
(06-29-2009 09:36 PM)athos123 Wrote:  ...if your so knowledgeble Stereophonic you could at least give an example of how conflicts such as this could be resolved using intepretation...

Okay, hermeneutics lesson 101.

When reading a particular Bible passage, context is crucial. In the case of Rev. 21:6, we need to read the entire book of Revelation, including the first five verses of chapter 21. If we pay attention to the future tense, we will see that the writer of Revelation is seeing and recording for us visions of future events. According to these visions, one day there will be a new heaven and a new earth. God will wipe away every tear from every eye; there will be no more death or sorrow or pain--ever again. After all of this has happened (but not before) we can expect the events written about in Rev. 21:6.

Unfortunately, our TV generation by and large has never developed the habits necessary for competent reading of any literature, to say nothing of ancient literature and unfamiliar genres. If you want to be able to interpret the Bible intelligently, you will need to put forth some effort and take advantage of the many excellent resources available. To continue just asking questions on Internet forums isn't really going to help you very much if your reading skills remain undeveloped.

06-30-2009, 01:04 AM
That would be very insightful if that was in any way the question that was asked. But it's not.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
06-30-2009, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2009 10:00 AM by Stereophonic.)
(06-30-2009 01:04 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  That would be very insightful if that was in any way the question that was asked. But it's not.

Matthew thought there was a problem with Revelation 21:6, wondering why we do not currently enjoy the promises contained in that verse. Anglican did tell Matthew that the verse was referring to a future time. I then offered some resources that would help Matthew figure out answers to at least some of these kinds of questions on his own. You and Athos demanded that I provide an actual example of how those resources could help to resolve the supposed "conflict" that Matthew originally inquired about. I responded by saying that all hermeneutics relies on context, and that the first five verses of chapter 21 clearly speak about a future time. Thus there is no discrepancy at all--we do not currently enjoy the promises of Rev. 21:6 because we have not yet arrived at the future time which is spoken of in Rev. 21:1-5. All of the resources I offered do talk about the importance of context. If you think something is missing in my response, please tell me what it is that you think is missing.

06-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Ah, I see, the title was edited.

Although it is interesting, the idea of Revelation being future events is in no way universally accepted. Many (I hesitate to say most, because I don't know for sure, but a good chunk) of Christians believe Revelation has already occurred - either that John was writing about the persecution of Christians or Jews, or that the events specified happened soon afterward. Babylon being Rome and all that.

True, the Baptists (which I was back when I was religious) believe it's about a future time, but not everyone does.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Revelation 13:8 shiverleaf15 20 1,687 02-12-2017 10:24 AM
Last Post: Mark51
  Explaining John's Revelation. Aleon 5 990 08-31-2015 08:08 PM
Last Post: Visqueen
  Revelation as Prophesy. kevlar 34 4,054 07-21-2011 01:03 AM
Last Post: kevlar
  Revelation 11- 2 Witnesses, what do you think? Janice334 14 4,853 03-13-2011 09:26 AM
Last Post: jm44

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)