Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.67 Average
Proof of God's Existence
09-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Proof of God's Existence
Saint Thomas Aquinas Proved this over 800 years ago. Take a look here for his full discussion. I'll summarize his points.

Reasons in Proof of the Existence of God
1. Everything which moves had to moved by something else before it. If you go back far enough, something must have been the first mover. That first mover is known as God.

2. Everything that has happened has to have been cause by something else. It can't cause itself because it wouldn't have existed to cause itself. Something must have been the first cause. That something is known as God.

3. Everything must either exist or not exist. If it does exist it will eventually be destroyed. If all things were just accidents eventually all would be destroyed. Everything which exists must have had a cause for its existence and the chain of causes can't go back indefinitely. There must have been something which always existed. That thing is God.

4. Things are spoken of more often when they approach the greatest of it. For example, hotter is spoken of as you approach the greatest heat. Before the lesser degrees of heat can exist there must be the greatest degree of heat. Since goodness exists to some degree there must be something which is the greatest of goodness from which is comes. That thing is God.

5. All natural things have an order yet they lack reason. There must be something which planned this order. That thing is God.

Go to the link to see what he actually wrote for a better description than I could summarize. I think he made some good points.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2008, 09:53 AM
RE: Proof of God's Existence
Find all posts by this user
03-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Who is your god?
03-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Hoopking987 Wrote:So if you believe this then where did god come from? What cause made him?
That's exactly the point. Something must have always been in order for anything else to exist. It makes no logical sense that something could always be, but on the other hand logic has led us to the conclusion that it must be this way. Something must be omnipresent. I would consider something which is omnipresent to be God.

Lady.Agnostic Wrote:Who is your god?
I wouldn't consider this to be relevant for this arguement. It could be any god. This is simply an arguement that there must be a god, whoever he might be. If you must know though, the god I believe in called himself "I am who I am" in the book of exodus.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
04-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Lady.Agnostic Wrote:Who is your god?

My GOD is the Living God.Smile

*Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding.
*Be not wise in thine own eyes, Fear the Lord and Depart from evil.
*In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths.
05-12-2008, 02:11 AM
Lady.Agnostic Wrote: Who is your god?
My GOD is the Living GOD as well.

Everyday I find proof of GOD's existence

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-Buddha
05-12-2008, 11:37 AM
So if existence, in the terms of being, is true, and many people understand the concept, why is the world not a perfect place. Maybe our knowledge of the truth is limited to our own understanding of the principles of the universe.

For instance, could other complex physical beings(other complex life) have a greater understanding of the universe than we human beings do. Would we accept that knowledge if given the chance?

So somethings are known and somethings are not. Is it physically possible to travel into a black hole, past the event horizon. What would you find? Some question are best left unanswered.

But what does the truth give me? The truth will give you nothing more than knowledge. But if I cant proove it, it means nothing. Does it matter if it means nothing. For if you gain power, you have nothing more than knowledge.
05-28-2008, 06:52 AM
erm.. I still can't believe that god is real coz i haven't meet this "GOD" and i don't believe anything that doesn't have "EVIDENCE"
06-03-2008, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2008 02:56 PM by Shadrach.)
the "evidence" thomas aquinas provides isn't evidence at all. filling the gaps with god is a fallacy of composition.

you can replace "god" with unicorns or santa clause and it makes just as much sense.

"Everything that has happened has to have been cause by something else. It can't cause itself because it wouldn't have existed to cause itself. Something must have been the first cause. That something is known as santa clause"

"Everything which moves had to moved by something else before it. If you go back far enough, something must have been the first mover. That first mover is known as unicorns"

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."

-Gene Roddenberry, Creator of Star Trek
07-26-2008, 03:00 AM
Shadrach, I love your signature!!

Being someone who always accepted what I was taught--that there is a God and, if something can't be explained, that must be proof He exists--I can say now that argument is not valid in my opinion. In each of those "reasons of proof" there are two common words: "must have" or "must be." Why MUST there be anything?

Don't expect me to cry for all the reasons you had to die.
Don't ever ask your love of me.
Don't expect me to cry.
Don't expect me to lie.
Don't expect me to die for thee.
--"Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ANOTHER ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT:In defence for the existence of GOD Qidreel 62 898 04-18-2017 06:48 AM
Last Post: FilmFlaneur
  I have proof God exists! God's_thinker 225 20,065 02-09-2017 11:58 AM
Last Post: PeterPants
  I am god ahmed and my religion is believerism religion my god existence is online godahmed 27 949 12-05-2016 03:27 AM
Last Post: Herminator
  No Proof God Exists sparky13 621 46,425 09-28-2015 08:05 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  Is the "Problem of Evil" a valid argument against the existence of God? MasterKage 276 17,545 10-14-2014 12:54 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  Should we truly try to prove God's existence? MR. THEODORE LOGY 36 2,933 04-23-2014 07:05 PM
Last Post: susanblange
  God is secular. Here's the proof. jrpurdon 54 6,688 03-06-2011 10:39 PM
Last Post: WhiteNova

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)