• 1 Votes - 5 Average
Prophibition of Alcohol and Pork in the Bible
10-31-2009, 07:13 AM
Prophibition of Alcohol and Pork in the Bible
Alcohol

Ephesians 5:18
And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Proverbs 20:1
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Pork
Leviticus 11:7-8
And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

Deuteronomy 14:8
And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.

Isaiah 65:2-5
I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts; A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick; Which remain among the graves, and lodge in the monuments, which eat swine's flesh, and broth of abominable things is in their vessels; Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.

Isaiah 66:17
They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.

For Truth Seekers Only!

Ahmadiyya Revealed
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2009, 11:04 PM
RE: Prophibition of Alcohol and Pork in the Bible
There are a vast number of references in the Bible to wine being a common drink and even being an appropriate offering to God. Abstinence from wine and alcohol was required only for special circumstances. There are of course warnings in various places against being drunk, but not a general prohibition. (No argument on pork, of course.)

And Melchizedek, the king of Salem and a priest of God Most High, brought Abram some bread and wine.
Genesis 14:18

…So Jacob took the food to his father, and Isaac ate it. He also drank the wine that Jacob served him…
Genesis 27:25

“From the dew of heaven
and the richness of the earth,
may God always give you abundant harvests of grain
and bountiful new wine.
Genesis 27:28

Jacob set up a stone pillar to mark the place where God had spoken to him. Then he poured wine over it as an offering to God and anointed the pillar with olive oil.
Genesis 35:14

“You must not hold anything back when you give me offerings from your crops and your wine.
Exodus 22:29

With one of them, offer two quarts of choice flour mixed with one quart of pure oil of pressed olives; also, offer one quart of wine as a liquid offering.
Offer the other lamb in the evening, along with the same offerings of flour and wine as in the morning. It will be a pleasing aroma, a special gift presented to the Lord.
Exodus 29:40-41

Instructions for priestly conduct:
Then the Lord said to Aaron,
“You and your descendants must never drink wine or any other alcoholic drink before going into the Tabernacle.
Leviticus 10:8-9

A special vow
“If any of the people, either men or women, take the special vow of a Nazirite, setting themselves apart to the Lord in a special way, they must give up wine and other alcoholic drinks.
Numbers 6:2-3
11-01-2009, 04:49 AM
Well let me say this,

If it is unhealthy for you it is Prohibited by God.

You can have a small amount of wine(drugs) assuming that you don't get drunk.(high)

If you take part in Self-Destructive Behavior than you don't Love yourself.
God demands that you Love Yourself, Love All Others, and Love God with all Your Heart. Those are the Three Christian Commandments.

Because if you can do those three you will not want to Break a Commandment.

No one is Perfect but Jesus told us to Be Perfect.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Jesus the Prophet from Nazareth!

My point being this,
Understand that you are not Perfect, then Aim your Goals past Perfection.
Like an Archer takes aim at his Target by imagining the Arrow going through the Target.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
12-05-2009, 07:42 AM
(11-01-2009 04:49 AM)Azrael17 Wrote:  Well let me say this,

If it is unhealthy for you it is Prohibited by God.

You can have a small amount of wine(drugs) assuming that you don't get drunk.(high)

If you take part in Self-Destructive Behavior than you don't Love yourself.
God demands that you Love Yourself, Love All Others, and Love God with all Your Heart. Those are the Three Christian Commandments.

Because if you can do those three you will not want to Break a Commandment.

No one is Perfect but Jesus told us to Be Perfect.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Jesus the Prophet from Nazareth!

My point being this,
Understand that you are not Perfect, then Aim your Goals past Perfection.
Like an Archer takes aim at his Target by imagining the Arrow going through the Target.

Yes, it is right and no doubt should be followed as, if you love your self then god will love you as he never says to harm yourself but it is important to love yourself and to love others also. Nobody is perfect here but you have to make the things perfect so that there will not be any problem in getting all the things right at your place.

Thanks!

Christian Counseling Dallas
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-19-2009, 04:55 PM
so why still christians eat pork and drink alcholohol???
12-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Well, as Parousia said, drinking alcohol is ok, but not getting drunk.

However, regarding both points, St. Paul led the decision that non-Jews do not have to follow Jewish customs in order to be Christian. This is why Christians also don't have to be circumcised.
12-21-2009, 09:54 PM
That's right, Paul did change that. The church decided in general to move away from Judaism, and establish Christianity as a separate religion rather than a sect. This is directly contradicted by many verses in both the Old and New Testament, but at the same time it is established rather firmly in the New Testament, creating one of the Bible's many unresolvable contradictions.

Unless you actually view the Bible historically, in context, rather than as spiritual truth. If you view the Bible as simply a collection of human writings from a particular sect, the contradiction makes sense and actually illuminates the changing political nature of the religion, first bound to Judaism, then clearly moving away from Judaism.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
12-24-2009, 12:15 AM
(12-20-2009 07:10 PM)Zagreus Wrote:  Well, as Parousia said, drinking alcohol is ok, but not getting drunk.

However, regarding both points, St. Paul led the decision that non-Jews do not have to follow Jewish customs in order to be Christian. This is why Christians also don't have to be circumcised.

and christians eat pork just because jews do not eat pork?? even the bible says dont eat its unclean they still eat it, this is so sonfusing I'm so glad that i'm a Muslim! Thanks for GOD! Alhamdulillah!
12-24-2009, 09:14 AM
(12-24-2009 12:15 AM)Nur Wrote:  and christians eat pork just because jews do not eat pork?? even the bible says dont eat its unclean they still eat it, this is so confusing I'm so glad that i'm a Muslim! Thanks for GOD! Alhamdulillah!

By Jewish law, gentiles (non-Jews) were never required to abstain from pork or to follow the vast number of rules and regulations that applied to Jews. To be considered righteous, gentiles were only required to follow the Noahide laws, given by God to Noah for all mankind to follow. The Talmud (commentary on Jewish law) even prohibits gentiles from following the full set of Jewish laws. Obedience to those laws is what identifies a Jew. Gentiles must not pretend to be Jews.

The issue in early Christianity was whether it was to be a sect of Judaism, requiring converts to first become Jews and follow all the Jewish rules, or whether it was to be a more universal religion accessible to gentiles who did not become Jews. We see this disagreement being argued in the letters of Paul and in the Acts of the Apostles, written by Luke. In the end, Paul's way of thinking prevailed.

The Noahide Laws are:

1. Prohibition of Idolatry: You shall not have any idols before God.
2. Prohibition of Murder: You shall not murder. (Genesis 9:6)
3. Prohibition of Theft: You shall not steal.
4. Prohibition of Sexual Promiscuity:
- You shall not commit any of a series of sexual prohibitions, which include adultery, incest, bestiality and male homosexual intercourse.
5. Prohibition of Blasphemy: You shall not blaspheme God's name.
6. Dietary Law: Do not eat flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive. (Genesis 9:4)
7. Requirement to have just Laws: Set up a governing body of law (e.g. Courts)

Christians in general abide by the similar but more comprehensive Ten Commandments found in the Old Testament. The commandments are actually found in three places, with variations, and are rather long and complicated. The simplified form below is the one used by Catholics. Protestants use a slightly different numbering scheme and tend not to agree with each other on the exact wording. But there is no real disagreement on sense.

Ten Commandments (Catholic version)

1. I am the LORD your God, you shall have no other gods before me.
2. You shall not take the Name of the LORD your God in vain.
3. Keep holy the Sabbath day.
4. Honor your father and your mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness.
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.

This site also includes extensive commentary.

The Jewish Law consists of 613 mitzvot (pronounced mitzvahs) or commandments.

The Talmud is commentary by rabbis on Jewish law, ethics, customs and history.
02-05-2010, 11:56 AM
ECCLES 9;7
 Go, eat your food with rejoicing and drink your wine with a good heart, because already the [true] God has found pleasure in your works.

PSALM 104 ;15

And wine that makes the heart of mortal man rejoice,
To make the face shine with oil,
And bread that sustains the very heart of mortal man.

drinking wine is not condemed in the bible, but drunkeness is

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)