Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question
01-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Exclamation Question
I have always wanted to profess my faith, but I do not know what religion is right for me. How do I know? What are the major differences between the different sects of Christianity? What bible should I read? I am really lost.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2010, 02:39 AM
RE: Question
Well you would have to give us an inkling as what your faith is that you want to profess.

You mentioned Christianity, so there is Catholic or Protestant just to name a few.
01-17-2010, 06:04 AM
why you should search in christianity? what is about searching in Islam?
you asked What bible should I read?
so, that means many bibles? so which is the right? and if one is right , what about the others?
but in Islam there is only one book (the holy Quraan), you can search and you will not lose.

http://www.islamtomorrow.com/
01-17-2010, 07:47 AM
You may choose whatever you like, theres are 1000's of religions.

But just let me say Christianity is the oldest religion, the bible pre dates the Quran etc by along time. There's about 3,200 main christian denominations you should research into them and then see which one suits you best or which denomination will offer you the most guidance and truth on your spiritual path.
01-17-2010, 08:25 AM
being older doesn't mean being right

i wish i have more time to spend here on the forum
but ...
01-17-2010, 01:16 PM
well i dont really know what is right. like Catholicism, Orthodoxy, or Protestantism. what are differences? i mean i was kind of looking into protestantism but I was born orthodox. but what bible version is best to read? like NKJV? or NIV? i dont know really
01-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Actually Christianity is only 2,000 years old in its earliest forms, which no longer exist. Modern Christianity is only about 1500 years old, and that's being generous.

Judaism is older, but it's still not the oldest.

I'm pretty sure the oldest religions that we know about were a sort of proto-Hinduism, but there are older religions that we no longer have knowledge of. Even the Neanderthals buried their dead and seemed to have some religious ceremonies.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-17-2010, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2010 03:33 PM by Stereophonic.)
(01-17-2010 01:00 AM)aManWhoWonders Wrote:  I have always wanted to profess my faith, but I do not know what religion is right for me. How do I know? What are the major differences between the different sects of Christianity? What bible should I read? I am really lost.

You don't mention which language you prefer. If you can read Greek, click the link here for the Christian New Testament

And this link gives the Hebrew Scriptures (Christian Old Testament)

And if you're Catholic or Eastern Orthodox, the Septuagint gives some additional books which are considered part of the Catholic & Orthodox Old Testament canon, but not given the same weight as Scripture by Protestant groups.

All modern Bibles are translated from these original-language texts.

If you want to read the Bible in Engish, try the New Living Translation.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
01-17-2010, 04:01 PM
(01-17-2010 01:21 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Actually Christianity is only 2,000 years old in its earliest forms, which no longer exist. Modern Christianity is only about 1500 years old, and that's being generous.

Judaism is older, but it's still not the oldest.

I'm pretty sure the oldest religions that we know about were a sort of proto-Hinduism, but there are older religions that we no longer have knowledge of. Even the Neanderthals buried their dead and seemed to have some religious ceremonies.

Christianity is older than Judaism.

List of Oldest religions

1.Primitive Christianity
2.Hinduism
3.Animism
4.Judaism
5.Islam
6.Buddhism

Of course there are many others, those are just the mainstream ones.
01-17-2010, 05:41 PM
... you do realize there was no Christianity until the birth of Christ, right? And that Buddhism is actually older than both Christianity and Islam?

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)