Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Question about Noah's Ark!!
12-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Question about Noah's Ark!!
It rained for 40 days and 40 night, the planet was flooded? 2 of each species was on that boat. Now what i dont understand is how come no other culture has mentioned this. So what there didnt experiance the flood?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2008, 05:20 PM
RE: Question about Noah's Ark!!
no idea.

Good evil salvation
12-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Noah and the ark are part of the Christian faith, so I'm not sure what other cultures you're talking about.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
12-11-2008, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 05:47 PM by God Rocks.)
There are actually lots of cultures with stories similar to the Noah story. There's one from Babylon in the Epic of Gilgamesh. Here's a link to a brief description of a lot of them. http://www.nwcreation.net/noahlegends.html

On another note though, I don't actually think the whole world flooded. I think it was probably a localized event that would have seemed like the whole world to people at the time since they didn't travel much. Something like possibly the Black Sea Deluge.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2008, 10:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2008 08:54 AM by clarence clutterbuck.)
Or maybe Noah just overfilled the bath one day, flooded the tent and wrote the Ark story as a therapeutic way of dealing with the trauma.
12-12-2008, 04:20 AM
he must have remembered the monkeys,for evolution.

Good evil salvation
01-31-2009, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2009 10:22 AM by Pilgrim.)
(12-11-2008 05:08 PM)FrostBite Wrote:  It rained for 40 days and 40 night, the planet was flooded? 2 of each species was on that boat. Now what i dont understand is how come no other culture has mentioned this. So what there didnt experiance the flood?
Actually the Hindu religion, which claims to be the oldest in the world, also has a flood epic with a Noah figure in the Gita. Can't remember where off hand but it's definately there and the Quran refers to Noah as one of God's prophets, although I'm not sure if it recounts a flood story. Certainly the original story in Genesis is part of the Torah and therefore Jewish so I'd have to say that this makes it pretty much a universal theme. The Bible story says two of every kind of animal which doesn't necessarily mean species and sub-species of the same kind. Wink

A question arising, to me at any rate, out of God Rocks' statement that the flood might not have been global, makes me wonder why God would have bothered saving any animals at all? I mean, unless it was a specific group that could not be replaced like marsupials (not sure if I spelled that correctly.) In which case why weren't the remnants of the Ark found on top of Aires Rock and also causes all sorts of other problems regarding the Biblical account. Just food for thought. Smile

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.
01-31-2009, 10:53 AM
(12-11-2008 05:08 PM)FrostBite Wrote:  It rained for 40 days and 40 night, the planet was flooded? 2 of each species was on that boat. Now what i dont understand is how come no other culture has mentioned this. So what there didnt experiance the flood?
maybe he was just in new orleans when katrina hit...
01-31-2009, 11:28 AM
(01-31-2009 10:53 AM)B MAN Wrote:  
maybe he was just in new orleans when katrina hit...
He most definately was, as were His people suffering alongside others and trying to help those in distress. Tongue

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.
01-31-2009, 10:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2009 10:07 PM by Urthred.)
its true many cultures have flood myths, even the celtic people have one. and im with god rocks on the point of localized event. i mean look at how big and event katrina was to the USA and we had all this advanced warnings and what not and yet its included in our histories. if you consider a people who that the world was basically his country then yes a flood could easily seem to engulf the entire world this of course would explain the amount of flood stories around the world to, seeing as water is a main point for human survival and becasue we live near water floods would be most likely to occur and would be events big enough to to record, add to that a lack of understanding of weather and its quite easy to ascribe it to a divine figure.
its true many cultures have flood myths, even the celtic people have one. and im with god rocks on the point of localized event. i mean look at how big and event katrina was to the USA and we had all this advanced warnings and what not and yet its included in our histories. if you consider a people who that the world was basically his country then yes a flood could easily seem to engulf the entire world this of course would explain the amount of flood stories around the world to, seeing as water is a main point for human survival and becasue we live near water floods would be most likely to occur and would be events big enough to to record, add to that a lack of understanding of weather and its quite easy to ascribe it to a divine figure.

"Perhaps you've seen them only then you've just believed
And when they're fleeing then you feel you've been deceived
But in that feeling something ancient's been retrieved"
-Jack Hardy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Proving the Ark EqualAtheist 20 2,807 10-05-2012 03:20 PM
Last Post: Hoax
  Noah's flood StarStuff 29 3,286 05-13-2010 11:05 PM
Last Post: prdamico

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)