Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questioning my faith
09-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Questioning my faith
I'm 29 years old from a cristian family. Ever since I was 15 I've had nonstop problems in my life, but I've always kept a good attitude, and thought god would guide me through. I believe in doing good deeds not just because of karma, but because I'm a genuinely nice person. But no matter how nice I am or the good I do life just keeps throwing me curveballs. Lately I can't help but to think there is no god, and it doesn't matter how good of person somebody is, they're just destined for failure. Can somebody please explain how good people can just continually get the short end of the stick? I'm not just talking about me. Innocent people die, and suffer every day. Why would god pick and choose who has a good life or a bad one. And please don't answer "because god is testing you", or "god is giving you strength". Because innocent children die every day, so to me there shouldn't be a test of strength when it comes to a child. I would trade my life for a child I didn't know any day. So why would god be so cruel sometimes? I don't get it. I want to believe, but as life goes on, it makes it harder for me to believe we worship somebody that decides such tragic fates for some people.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2013, 11:45 PM
RE: Questioning my faith
Do you realize there's far more good in store for most of us? It far outweighs the pain and suffering of this world. Maybe God allows us to suffer that we may learn what it is like, even as he allows us to have other experiences, but he sure isn't intending to make us suffer for eternity.

Maybe he's not "all-good", seeing as there's pain and suffering, but the good he does far outweighs the bad, and makes him in all practicality more benevolent than the rest of us. Let's at least consider that if he exists and means all he has said, he's like this, and not a misanthrope. We can't prove it, but I believe it, I'm persuaded.

I think the choice lies with you. You have a right to be an Atheist. But whatever you choose to be, I plead that you do your best to make mortality better for yourself and everyone else Smile If God's not there, that's the closest we can get to Heaven, here on Earth, a society of cooperation and joy.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
09-04-2013, 12:11 AM
(09-03-2013 11:27 PM)Monkey Funks Wrote:  I'm 29 years old from a cristian family. Ever since I was 15 I've had nonstop problems in my life, but I've always kept a good attitude, and thought god would guide me through. I believe in doing good deeds not just because of karma, but because I'm a genuinely nice person. But no matter how nice I am or the good I do life just keeps throwing me curveballs. Lately I can't help but to think there is no god, and it doesn't matter how good of person somebody is, they're just destined for failure. Can somebody please explain how good people can just continually get the short end of the stick? I'm not just talking about me. Innocent people die, and suffer every day. Why would god pick and choose who has a good life or a bad one. And please don't answer "because god is testing you", or "god is giving you strength". Because innocent children die every day, so to me there shouldn't be a test of strength when it comes to a child. I would trade my life for a child I didn't know any day. So why would god be so cruel sometimes? I don't get it. I want to believe, but as life goes on, it makes it harder for me to believe we worship somebody that decides such tragic fates for some people.

I don't know what it is like to believe in god so I don't know what you are going through. However I think the implications of life make it clear enough, god does not exist. At least not the caring, parental god that I hear so much about. Life can be great, life can be terrible.

This sums it up quote well;

shiver Wrote:If God's not there, that's the closest we can get to Heaven, here on Earth, a society of cooperation and joy.

However I assume Monkey Funks you are talking about negative experiences beyond your control? I have had those recently and unfortunately there's not much you can do besides meeting these challenges and overcoming them for yourself. Acceptance of what you can and can't do is important. Crap happens. Don't focus on why it happens but focus on what you have to do to move forward.

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence - Me
09-04-2013, 01:10 AM
(09-03-2013 11:27 PM)Monkey Funks Wrote:  I'm 29 years old from a cristian family. Ever since I was 15 I've had nonstop problems in my life, but I've always kept a good attitude, and thought god would guide me through. I believe in doing good deeds not just because of karma, but because I'm a genuinely nice person. But no matter how nice I am or the good I do life just keeps throwing me curveballs. Lately I can't help but to think there is no god, and it doesn't matter how good of person somebody is, they're just destined for failure. Can somebody please explain how good people can just continually get the short end of the stick? I'm not just talking about me. Innocent people die, and suffer every day. Why would god pick and choose who has a good life or a bad one. And please don't answer "because god is testing you", or "god is giving you strength". Because innocent children die every day, so to me there shouldn't be a test of strength when it comes to a child. I would trade my life for a child I didn't know any day. So why would god be so cruel sometimes? I don't get it. I want to believe, but as life goes on, it makes it harder for me to believe we worship somebody that decides such tragic fates for some people.

Do not, for one moment, think that everyone does not have their fair share of life's tribulations. God does not test nor tempt, so in these moments do not thin too, that these tribulations are from God.
God's role in these circumstances is more like a moderator. Note this:

1Co:10:13: There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

God allows temptations to befall man according to his ability to overcome it. He understands and knows that through this process of overcoming, one is able to progress from his current state of spirituality into a higher one. Though one may feel hopeless, there is hope. The story of Job offers a very good encouraging metaphor.
09-04-2013, 10:46 AM

There is nothing wrong with admitting you don't know the answer. There are many things that we all want to believe in, but if something doesn't seem right to you, it's not right to try and force that belief. Coming to this forum is a great idea. There are many people who have asked these same questions and have found different answers. There are thousands of discussions between people of varying view points and the best thing you can do is read. See what people say and the conclusions that they reach. By reading over various topics, maybe it will help you better define your beliefs. No one else can tell you what is right, you just need to discover it yourself... But seeing the paths that others took can help you to better clarify what makes sense to you.

I was in a similar boat to you and recently discovered that I am an agnostic atheist. I don't believe in any of the gods that I have seen represented and I admit that I don't know anything about God. If there is a God, I think he/she/it is likely very different than many of the gods I have been introduced to.
09-04-2013, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 12:01 PM by arthra.)
"Lately I can't help but to think there is no god, and it doesn't matter how good of person somebody is, they're just destined for failure. Can somebody please explain how good people can just continually get the short end of the stick? I'm not just talking about me. Innocent people die, and suffer every day. Why would god pick and choose who has a good life or a bad one. And please don't answer "because god is testing you", or "god is giving you strength". Because innocent children die every day, so to me there shouldn't be a test of strength when it comes to a child. I would trade my life for a child I didn't know any day. So why would god be so cruel sometimes? I don't get it. I want to believe, but as life goes on, it makes it harder for me to believe we worship somebody that decides such tragic fates for some people."

I would say for someone your age.. that the times are as difficult in some ways as during the Great Depression... People are still out of work and those that have found jobs are not even close to receiving the benefits they might have received in better times... I've seen it with my own boys. So definitely we're going through hard times still!

SO what to do? We need to depend on one another more if we want to make it.. Help each other out more.. It's all very well to say this I know but consider this if everyone was doing much better than they are they probably could care less about the other guy.

Yes the children of the world suffer and we should do something about it .. for now relief agencies are shouldering a tremendous load! So help them out if you can.. Volunteer to tutor kids in your town..Help out! Don't just sit around and blame the Almighty or Satan get out there and make a diff!Wink

"All religions, arts, and sciences are branches of the same tree."
09-04-2013, 04:31 PM

I can tell you this much; if you leave your fate in God's "hands" NOTHING will change. If you pray to god, NOTHING will change. It begs the question, just what is the point of God if he doesn't serve a purpose when times are indeed the most taxing? Perseverance, determination, and maintaining a sense of hope will see you through this as opposed to cajoling on your knees diverting self-responsibility to the sky fairy.

Good things happen to evil people because, contrary to religious belief, perverse or horrendous immoral actions are no more punished than good, moral actions are rewarded in terms of a Godly arbitrator of justice.
09-04-2013, 04:38 PM
(09-04-2013 04:31 PM)Occams Chainsaw Wrote:  I can tell you this much; if you leave your fate in God's "hands" NOTHING will change. If you pray to god, NOTHING will change. It begs the question, just what is the point of God if he doesn't serve a purpose when times are indeed the most taxing? Perseverance, determination, and maintaining a sense of hope will see you through this as opposed to cajoling on your knees diverting self-responsibility to the sky fairy.

Good things happen to evil people because, contrary to religious belief, perverse or horrendous immoral actions are no more punished than good, moral actions are rewarded in terms of a Godly arbitrator of justice.
I am... [Image: smiley-laughing013.gif] I mean a...[Image: smiley-laughing013.gif]
I can't.... I can... [Image: smiley-laughing013.gif]

Click Here to know more about Islam
09-04-2013, 04:43 PM
As funny as it seems to you Kayser, what exactly is incorrect. If you pray, or not pray, the same stuff happens.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
09-04-2013, 04:45 PM
(09-04-2013 04:43 PM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  As funny as it seems to you Kayser, what exactly is incorrect. If you pray, or not pray, the same stuff happens.
He should talk about himself and not generalize, it's not the same with me

Click Here to know more about Islam

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  QUESTIONING A GOD AND RELIGION secretagent 68 1,787 10-19-2017 04:22 AM
Last Post: Amememhab
  Questioning Gods (Attn: Teilhard) Satyros 51 5,513 06-07-2015 09:51 PM
Last Post: Teilhard
  Questioning and searching 31:25 44 3,018 04-22-2014 05:51 PM
Last Post: Lucky-lokean
  Faith without works and proof is false faith. Greatest I am 8 2,173 12-10-2012 01:26 PM
Last Post: Rev. Stein
  Is faith in fiction good faith? Miracles. Greatest I am 27 4,814 10-31-2010 10:24 PM
Last Post: biomystic
  Jesus’ test for faith. Have you tested your faith? Greatest I am 0 3,730 05-31-2010 05:07 PM
Last Post: Greatest I am

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)