Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questions...
09-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Questions...
What is the difference when someone refers to their faith as Apostolic or Evangelical? Why is pentecostal referred in so many different sects?

I am not Pentecostal, but I am seeing someone who practices it, goes to church weekly, and reads the bible and verses daily. However, I am concerned because with any faith, shouldn't you date people of the same faith if you were truly committed to it?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2008, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2008 08:29 PM by Annolennar.)
RE: Questions...
Its not necessarily an either/or situation, but generally "Apostolic" refers to a church that maintains "apostolic succession". This means that their bishops can be traced back in uninterrupted lines to the original twelve apostles.

Apostolic churches generally refer to the Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglican Churches. Apostolic succession is passed on during the ordination of bishops.

Technically, "evangelical" churches refer to any church that encourages its members to actively seek out converts to faith in Jesus Christ (which is pretty much all churches). However, some Protestant denominations go by the label "Evangelical" in reference to Martin Luther's term to distinguish from the Catholic Church. If you're in North America, you're probably running into the second meaning.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
09-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Thank you for your insight.

Apostolic and Evangelical, since both are generalized for any denomination; why do certain faiths put so much more restrictions on its meaning? And, they seem to segregate themself and stress that one is "better" than the other.

I guess I'm just wondering more about why Pentecostal believers stress the sects so much, when Christianity houses most the denominations.
09-13-2008, 03:11 AM
I wish I knew the answer to that question. It might solve a lot of problems.

Personally, I don't have a lot of experience with Pentecostal Christians specifically, although I am familiar with Evangelicals, Fundamentalists, and Charismatics (Pentecostalism is all of those).

Charismatics are typically very zealous people, so its possible that zeal comes across too strongly or is sometimes carried too far, resulting in the emphasis on "sects", which you are seeing. Zeal can be both a good an bad thing.

Another possibility is due to the fact that Pentecostals place great importance on certain "charisms" (or spiritual gifts), such as speaking in tongues, that other churches may not particularly place as much importance on. So, the people you see who are overly focused on sects may be looking at other churches and seeing a lack of what they consider to be essential qualities of Christianity. I'm speculating though, based on what you've told me.

Quick note: Apostolic is a bit more narrowly defined term than Evangelical. Most churches either very clearly do or very clearly don't maintain apostolic succession.

Wish I had a better answer for you. Smile

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)