Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Questions from a semi-believer...chance for you to turn me into a 100% christian!
12-05-2008, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2008 10:15 PM by B MAN.)
Questions from a semi-believer...chance for you to turn me into a 100% christian!
First off, i would like to say that I was raised Christian. I want to believe it. I mean, the whole live forever in heaven sounds like a good deal.

however, there are so many vague areas. in addition to this, there is very little evidence to actually back any of this up. ugh...i bet my thoughts sound muffled. whatever. i will just ask my questions.

1. if a baby dies does it go to heaven.
2. if yes, then killing your child will get your child a free ticket to heaven. but you love your child, so you let it live. doesn't this mean that you are risking your babies salvation for your love of it? that would make not killing your baby a bad action.

see the things i think of?

1. OK. god makes adam and eve. they have kids. Who do their kids have kids with? i mean, you don't just go from 2 to 6 billion like that. that means that their are other humans god didn't create, or adam's kids had no reservations against incest and lots of it.

1.b. where do we get blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, etc. if it all started with 2 (why not assume?) white folks?

2. how does noah know that the whole world flooded? did he have satalite pics (i know that he didn't). my point is, he had no way of knowing whether that flood flooded the world, or just an area the size of texas.

3. do animals go to heaven?

4. if yes, what makes us different from animals, giving us eternal life and not them?

5. does evolution disprove christianity?

6. why does it have to last forever? what makes you think that when you die, you don't just die? i mean, it seems more logical that when you die, it is just the same as before you were born. (well, same feeling anyway...nothing).

7. why does my paster tell me to sacrifice for the church while he is driving a mercedes?

8. is it just me, or do churches seem to want to expand? more expantion= more money= bigger buildings= more people per sermon= more money for the same sermon= pay raise for paster.

9. there are books of the bible that "didn't make the cut". how credible are those?

10. is god black, hispanic, or white? male or female? gay, straight, or bi? (lol)

11. the bible says that every thing in it is true.....that means that if a single thing is disproven, then the whole thing is disproven. this means that while you can't prove that the bible is true, you can prove that it is not true.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2008, 10:03 PM
RE: Questions from a semi-believer...chance for you guys to score a christian
B MAN Wrote:First off, i would like to say that I was raised Christian. I want to believe it. I mean, the whole live forever in heaven sounds like a good deal.

however, there are so many vague areas. in addition to this, there is very little evidence to actually back any of this up. ugh...i bet my thoughts sound muffled. whatever. i will just ask my questions.

2. if yes, then killing your child will get your child a free ticket to heaven. but you love your child, so you let it live. doesn't this mean that you are risking your babies salvation for your love of it? that would make not killing your baby a bad action.

1. OK. god makes adam and eve. they have kids. Who do their kids have kids with? i mean, you don't just go from 2 to 6 billion like that. that means that their are other humans god didn't create, or adam's kids had no reservations against incest and lots of it.

1.b. where do we get blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, etc. if it all started with 2 (why not assume?) white folks?

2. how does noah know that the whole world flooded? did he have satalite pics (i know that he didn't). my point is, he had no way of knowing whether that flood flooded the world, or just an area the size of texas.

4. if yes, what makes us different from animals, giving us eternal life and not them?

5. does evolution (yeah, it's pretty much proven) disprove christianity?

6. why does it have to last forever? what makes you think that when you die, you don't just die? i mean, it seems more logical that when you die, it is just the same as before you were born. (well, same feeling anyway...nothing).

7. why does my paster tell me to sacrifice for the church while he is driving a mercedes?

8. is it just me, or do churches seem to want to expand? more expantion= more money= bigger buildings= more people per sermon= more money for the same sermon= pay raise for paster.

9. there are books of the bible that "didn't make the cut". how credible are those?

10. is god black, hispanic, or white? male or female? gay, straight, or bi? (lol)

11. the bible says that every thing in it is true.....that means that if a single thing is disproven, then the whole thing is disproven. this means that while you can't prove that the bible is true, you can prove that it is not true.
ask God.

Good evil salvation
12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
smellycat Wrote:
B MAN Wrote:First off, i would like to say that I was raised Christian. I want to believe it. I mean, the whole live forever in heaven sounds like a good deal.

ask God.
i tried. all i heard were crickets, so i turned the TV back on. you think that i could get someone who i know exists to answer these questions.
12-05-2008, 10:15 PM
B MAN Wrote:
smellycat Wrote:

ask God.
i tried. all i heard were crickets, so i turned the TV back on. you think that i could get someone who i know exists to answer these questions.
a lot of your questions are daft.read the new testament.

Good evil salvation
12-05-2008, 10:17 PM
smellycat Wrote:
B MAN Wrote:
smellycat Wrote:

ask God.
i will give you a tip though don,t believe humans and read God.some are here to stop you gaining life,.

Good evil salvation
12-05-2008, 10:19 PM
what does daft mean? i will read the new testament once i get an answer to some of these questions.if i was going to read a giant religious book, there are more intresting ones than the bible. (like the communist manifesto...j/k)

seriously, can you please just try to answer 1 question?
12-05-2008, 10:20 PM
smellycat Wrote:
smellycat Wrote:
B MAN Wrote:
smellycat Wrote:

ask God.
i will give you a tip though don,t believe humans and read God.some are here to stop you gaining life,.
your logic is flawed. i can't read god. the closest thing to that would be the bible, which is written by humans.
12-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I see that you're a new member. Welcome to the RFs and I hope you enjoy your membership here. I've been a Christian for about 7 years now, and I still don't know absolutely everything about the Bible, but I'll try to input what I know:

Quote:1. if a baby dies does it go to heaven.

Yes. Babies are too young to take responsibility for their actions.

Quote:2. if yes, then killing your child will get your child a free ticket to heaven. but you love your child, so you let it live. doesn't this mean that you are risking your babies salvation for your love of it? that would make not killing your baby a bad action.

Why would you kill your child if you love them, even if it was a free ticket? You answered your own question when you said 'but you love your child, so you let it live.' It would be murder to just kill your baby to get it into heaven because God has given everyone the gift of life, even to those who'd grow up only to defy him.

Quote: OK. god makes adam and eve. they have kids. Who do their kids have kids with? i mean, you don't just go from 2 to 6 billion like that. that means that their are other humans god didn't create, or adam's kids had no reservations against incest and lots of it.

They probably didn't have 2 to 6 billion kids 'just like that'. It took thousands of years. Keep in mind that the Bible wasn't written all at once, it was written over a period of many years. Personally I think there was incest at first because there was no mention of any other humans outside the garden. Also, notice how many mothers in the Bible gave birth to a bunch of kids at a time (not your typical 2-5 kid families seen today).

Quote:1.b. where do we get blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, etc. if it all started with 2 (why not assume?) white folks?

I'm not completely sure about this, but it is probably a factor from the dialation of the growing population into different regions of the earth that had different climates/environments (example: hotter, dryer climates=darker skins as seen in Africa and Asia) and then, every now and then, people were born with recessive characteristics (and had kids) which eventually led to what we see today.

Quote:2. how does noah know that the whole world flooded? did he have satalite pics (i know that he didn't). my point is, he had no way of knowing whether that flood flooded the world, or just an area the size of texas.

Personally I believe the whole world was flooded, but the Bible says "40 days and 40 nights..." so perhaps within a time period of 40 days and nights, certain areas of the world were flooded at a time, but not all at once. Also, the Bible doesn't specify exactly how high the waters went in Noah's flood region. It just says that God brought a great 'flood', or a great 'excess of water' that was capable of doing what it did. But this my interpretation, so it might not correlate with your own thoughts on this subject.

Quote:3. do animals go to heaven?

I highly doubt it. The Bible constant implies that God sees humanity and only humanity as the jewel on the crown of his creation. Animals act soley on instinct while humans can actually choose to act soley on instinct or to create/follow morals and ethics and then act accordingly. I have yet to see a verse in the Bible that implies that animals besides human beings have souls.

Quote:5. does evolution (yeah, it's pretty much proven) disprove christianity?

Well this is a complex topic that often produces many different viewpoints, so I'm of little assistance here, but can say that I personally believe that evolution doesn't disprove Christianity at all. Unless you interpret every single line in the Bible in a literal sense, even when reading the lyrcial, symbolic and metaphorical verses, and you subscribe to the belief that the earth is only a few thousand years old (called "Young Earth Creationism") then will you'll see some opposition with evolutionary statements.

Quote:6. why does it have to last forever? what makes you think that when you die, you don't just die? i mean, it seems more logical that when you die, it is just the same as before you were born. (well, same feeling anyway...nothing).

Believing that when we die we just become fertilizer in the ground is one of the things that goes against Christianity. Such a belief often produces a "why bother?" mindstate in which one feels justified in the participation of activities and lifestyles that go against God's plans, since there's going to be know final judgement against them. My question to you would be 'why not last forever?' Does the idea of heaven, a place of eternal tranquility, not interest you?

Quote:7. why does my paster tell me to sacrifice for the church while he is driving a mercedes?

Are you implying that pastors are supposed to be dirt-poor, driving to and from church in an old rusty hooptie? Certainly not. Pastors are allowed to have luxaries just like everyone else, as long as they don't over-indulge themselves to the point of tempting greediness.

Quote:. is it just me, or do churches seem to want to expand? more expantion= more money= bigger buildings= more people per sermon= more money for the same sermon= pay raise for paster.

Many pastors don't even get paid from the church. Secondly, for the more honest churches, their money goes to maintaining the church's utilities, volunteer organizations such as Feed the Children, and sometimes to 'missions' in which certain groups of that church go to a different country to help the people there and to tell them about the Gospel. Yes, some churches do end up as cash-cows, but that's usually the bigger ones. Yes, some churches do want to expand, but many of them have limits on how big they want to actually become.

Quote:9. there are books of the bible that "didn't make the cut". how credible are those?

I'm still researching this topic for myself, so I appologize for my temporary ignorance in that I can't help you here

Quote:10. is god black, hispanic, or white? male or female? gay, straight, or bi? (lol)

Technically God is neither male nor female since those are the characteristics of creatures, but In the Holy Trinity is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, two of which imply masculinity, and the Bible refers to all of God as "He" or "Him" or "His". Since God is not physical, he has no sexual or ethnic characteristics seen in our physical world.

Quote:11. the bible says that every thing in it is true.....that means that if a single thing is disproven, then the whole thing is disproven.

True...

Quote:this means that while you can't prove that the bible is true, you can prove that it is not true.

That's only if the Bible is disproved, which I don't believe anyone has truley done. Many like to lay claim that the bible is "riddled with contradictions and errors" but I've done extensive research and have concluded (as of now) that the Bible checks out A-ok. If you want to believe what's in the Bible is a matter of will and faith.
12-06-2008, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2008 04:31 PM by B MAN.)
JonathanT Wrote:I see that you're a new member. Welcome to the RFs and I hope you enjoy your membership here. I've been a Christian for about 7 years now, and I still don't know absolutely everything about the Bible, but I'll try to input what I know:

Quote:1. if a baby dies does it go to heaven.

Yes. Babies are too young to take responsibility for their actions.

Quote:2. if yes, then killing your child will get your child a free ticket to heaven. but you love your child, so you let it live. doesn't this mean that you are risking your babies salvation for your love of it? that would make not killing your baby a bad action.

Why would you kill your child if you love them, even if it was a free ticket? You answered your own question when you said 'but you love your child, so you let it live.' It would be murder to just kill your baby to get it into heaven because God has given everyone the gift of life, even to those who'd grow up only to defy him.

[color=#0000FF]what i mean is, isn't letting your baby live becuase you love it selfish because there is a possibility that it might not go to heaven.
Quote: OK. god makes adam and eve. they have kids. Who do their kids have kids with? i mean, you don't just go from 2 to 6 billion like that. that means that their are other humans god didn't create, or adam's kids had no reservations against incest and lots of it.

They probably didn't have 2 to 6 billion kids 'just like that'. It took thousands of years. Keep in mind that the Bible wasn't written all at once, it was written over a period of many years. Personally I think there was incest at first because there was no mention of any other humans outside the garden. Also, notice how many mothers in the Bible gave birth to a bunch of kids at a time (not your typical 2-5 kid families seen today).

Quote:1.b. where do we get blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, etc. if it all started with 2 (why not assume?) white folks?

I'm not completely sure about this, but it is probably a factor from the dialation of the growing population into different regions of the earth that had different climates/environments (example: hotter, dryer climates=darker skins as seen in Africa and Asia) and then, every now and then, people were born with recessive characteristics (and had kids) which eventually led to what we see today.

Quote:2. how does noah know that the whole world flooded? did he have satalite pics (i know that he didn't). my point is, he had no way of knowing whether that flood flooded the world, or just an area the size of texas.

Personally I believe the whole world was flooded, but the Bible says "40 days and 40 nights..." so perhaps within a time period of 40 days and nights, certain areas of the world were flooded at a time, but not all at once. Also, the Bible doesn't specify exactly how high the waters went in Noah's flood region. It just says that God brought a great 'flood', or a great 'excess of water' that was capable of doing what it did. But this my interpretation, so it might not correlate with your own thoughts on this subject.

if you saw New Orleans after katrina and had knowledge similar to that of people at that time, would it be that much of a stretch to say that the world is flooded? (from their point of view)
Quote:3. do animals go to heaven?

I highly doubt it. The Bible constant implies that God sees humanity and only humanity as the jewel on the crown of his creation. Animals act soley on instinct while humans can actually choose to act soley on instinct or to create/follow morals and ethics and then act accordingly. I have yet to see a verse in the Bible that implies that animals besides human beings have souls.

Quote:5. does evolution (yeah, it's pretty much proven) disprove christianity?

Well this is a complex topic that often produces many different viewpoints, so I'm of little assistance here, but can say that I personally believe that evolution doesn't disprove Christianity at all. Unless you interpret every single line in the Bible in a literal sense, even when reading the lyrcial, symbolic and metaphorical verses, and you subscribe to the belief that the earth is only a few thousand years old (called "Young Earth Creationism") then will you'll see some opposition with evolutionary statements.

Quote:6. why does it have to last forever? what makes you think that when you die, you don't just die? i mean, it seems more logical that when you die, it is just the same as before you were born. (well, same feeling anyway...nothing).

Believing that when we die we just become fertilizer in the ground is one of the things that goes against Christianity. Such a belief often produces a "why bother?" mindstate in which one feels justified in the participation of activities and lifestyles that go against God's plans, since there's going to be know final judgement against them. My question to you would be 'why not last forever?' Does the idea of heaven, a place of eternal tranquility, not interest you?
not at all. i would love for that to be true. but think about it, (with the exclusion of mathematical and scientific laws.) what doesn't end? why should our lives not follow this pattern?
Quote:7. why does my paster tell me to sacrifice for the church while he is driving a mercedes?

Are you implying that pastors are supposed to be dirt-poor, driving to and from church in an old rusty hooptie? Certainly not. Pastors are allowed to have luxaries just like everyone else, as long as they don't over-indulge themselves to the point of tempting greediness.

no, but i do have a problem when he tells us to not buy that HDTV that we've been saving up for when he has 4 of them.

Quote:. is it just me, or do churches seem to want to expand? more expantion= more money= bigger buildings= more people per sermon= more money for the same sermon= pay raise for paster.

Many pastors don't even get paid from the church. Secondly, for the more honest churches, their money goes to maintaining the church's utilities, volunteer organizations such as Feed the Children, and sometimes to 'missions' in which certain groups of that church go to a different country to help the people there and to tell them about the Gospel. Yes, some churches do end up as cash-cows, but that's usually the bigger ones. Yes, some churches do want to expand, but many of them have limits on how big they want to actually become.
good point. it's one of the biggest churchs in Florida.
Quote:9. there are books of the bible that "didn't make the cut". how credible are those?

I'm still researching this topic for myself, so I appologize for my temporary ignorance in that I can't help you here

Quote:10. is god black, hispanic, or white? male or female? gay, straight, or bi? (lol)

Technically God is neither male nor female since those are the characteristics of creatures, but In the Holy Trinity is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, two of which imply masculinity, and the Bible refers to all of God as "He" or "Him" or "His". Since God is not physical, he has no sexual or ethnic characteristics seen in our physical world.

Quote:11. the bible says that every thing in it is true.....that means that if a single thing is disproven, then the whole thing is disproven.

True...

Quote:this means that while you can't prove that the bible is true, you can prove that it is not true.

That's only if the Bible is disproved, which I don't believe anyone has truley done. Many like to lay claim that the bible is "riddled with contradictions and errors" but I've done extensive research and have concluded (as of now) that the Bible checks out A-ok. If you want to believe what's in the Bible is a matter of will and faith.
i agree, but i'm just saying, it could happen. then what?[/color]

one more question...if we are god's greatest creations, then why is the average human so stupid/lazy/mean/flawed in general? i mean, i would think that god's best creation wouldn't suck so much.
12-06-2008, 09:31 PM
RE: Questions from a semi-believer...chance for you to turn me into a 100% christian!
I'll give your questions a shot.

I think so, they are innocent and I don't think a loving and merciful God wouldn't let them in heaven.

Tricky logic. For one you'd probably be giving up your own chance to go to heaven. I also think that if you really love your child, you would believe that he/she will live a good life and go to heaven anyway. Also, if you kill your child, then your child won't have the chance to improve other peoples lives which could lead to even more people going to heaven in the long run.

I don't believe in a strict interpretation of the bible. I think alot of it is stories which are meant to explain more than they are meant to be accurate to exactly how it happened. I believe we evolved. Adam and Eve was an easier explaination for people to understand so its just a simplistic explaination. People thousands of years ago probably wouldn't have been able to grasp evolution.

Evolution

I think it was probably an exagerated story. There was probably a big flood around the area where Noah lived. Back in those days people would commonly live their entire lives without going more than 10 miles from where they were born so if a large area flooded it would seem like the whole world to them.

I don't think so. God chose for humans to be his people. I don't believe animals have souls like we do.

N/A

5. does evolution disprove christianity?

No, I don't see why they can't coexist.

Why not last forever? I suppose you can't prove one way or the other but you could ask the reverse of your question and it would be just as unanswerable.

Pasters are people to, they aren't perfect. Besides, just because they work for the church doesn't mean they should be forced to live in poverty. A lot of priests are also given a house to live in and don't have a lot of free time to spend money, so their car is about the only luxury they have.

Most of the money goes to church maintance and to charities. I guess I haven't looked it up but I don't imagine the average paster salary is very high.

There used to be all kinds of books to bible around. At the Council of Nicaea in the 300s they had to decide which were actaully inspired by God and which were just books someone had writen but weren't divinely inspired. I haven't read the other books so I don't know much about them otherwise.

I don't see why God would need to be any of these. He would have no need for gender, race, or anything like that.

Since I don't believe in a strict interpretation of the bible, it makes it alot more difficult to prove that something isn't true. Maybe it just wasn't interpreted correctly.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
MyBB Writings up to 100 AD by/about Christians rako17 0 250 01-23-2017 03:12 AM
Last Post: rako17
  Any chance in a new forum being added to Christianity BecomingLDS 1 855 11-14-2008 01:35 PM
Last Post: God Rocks

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)