Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questions to Catholics
01-09-2018, 06:36 AM
Questions to Catholics
I am confused by you completely and don't understand why you are part of Christianity. Please help guide me.

This are my biggest issues I don't understand.
1. Baptizing babies issue. When did the baby repent of its sins and turned to God before it was baptised? How does a baby do this?
Acts 2:38
Peter replied, "Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

2. Calling the church leaders father. Are they God? How did they achieve this status since there is only one God? Or are they the earthly father of the whole church and had numerous wives?
Matthew 23:9
And don't address anyone here on earth as 'Father,' for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father.

3. Confessions. How do your church leaders have the right to forgive sin? Did God give them this authority too and if so where is the verse?
Mark 2:10
But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.

4. The rosary. What is it? I never found it in the bible so tell me the verse that says to do this so I can start doing this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2018, 09:12 AM
RE: Questions to Catholics
Thread moved to a different section which will allow for discussion for and against the RC church. kristy on this site all threads within the Religions of the World section are 'no debate against' which means no poster can discuss or debate against any faith system on a thread in that section. All posters who wish to engage in the ROTW section must start with the presumption that the given faith system is correct. You're free to discuss what you don't believe is correct about the RC church or any other faith system, but it must be done on threads elsewhere on this site, such as where this thread now resides.

Thanks for your cooperation.
01-09-2018, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 11:50 AM by Amememhab.)
While I’m not Catholic, I’ve taken up the topic of infant baptism, along with other formulaic and doctrinal issues related to this Christian ordinance at

RE: The question I can’t answer
http://www.religionforums.org/Thread-The...#pid303438

RE: The true faith
http://www.religionforums.org/Thread-The...#pid303391
http://www.religionforums.org/Thread-The...#pid303401

In short, I consider the acrimonious debates futile and harmful, creating divides within Christ Jesus’s church which impede our work as Christians. I could say the same about rosary beads and so on. James 5:16 advises, “Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed.” We must admit to, and make amends for, the wrongs we do, and whether we have our first conversation about a sin problem in our lives with our pastor or with a fellow congregant makes little difference, even if pastors cannot forgive sins.

In addition to written scriptures, most denominations maintain customary practices as well. Rosary beads are one of these, as is the placement of large, unadorned crosses on the spires and on walls behind the pulpits of Baptist churches. Such beads and crosses in places of worship are nowhere mentioned in the New Testament—a fact which should tell us that God takes a neutral stance toward them. Given these rituals, habits and appliances comfort us, God permits them, as long as we don’t make them into objects of devotion.

Finally, read all of Matthew chapter 23, where Jesus addresses the scribes and Pharisees, calling them hypocrites. Even if I disagree with Roman Catholicism on the pope’s speaking ex cathedra to produce doctrine, I do understand that Catholics don’t worship the pope. In our religious affairs, we inherited traditional words such as “father” from Elizabethan English, where it was used for the more modern “founder” or “leader.” Clearly, Jesus was talking about God the Father in his speech—and no, I doubt Catholics are calling Pope Francis “God” in the Trinitarian sense.
01-09-2018, 02:15 PM
(01-09-2018 06:36 AM)178Kristy Wrote:  I am confused by you completely and don't understand why you are part of Christianity. Please help guide me.

This are my biggest issues I don't understand.

I recommend that you read the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

(01-09-2018 06:36 AM)178Kristy Wrote:  1. Baptizing babies issue. When did the baby repent of its sins and turned to God before it was baptised? How does a baby do this?
Acts 2:38
Peter replied, "Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

You may want to read the section about who may be baptized. If you think that's somehow contradicted by Acts 2:38, note that the statement attributed to Peter doesn't say that those actions must be performed together or in that order.

Matthew 19:13-14:

Quote:Then little children were brought to Him that He might put His hands on them and pray, but the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”

(01-09-2018 06:36 AM)178Kristy Wrote:  2. Calling the church leaders father. Are they God? How did they achieve this status since there is only one God? Or are they the earthly father of the whole church and had numerous wives?
Matthew 23:9
And don't address anyone here on earth as 'Father,' for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father.

I agree with you that Matthew's Jesus appears to be arguing against religious titles. I also think that in addition to "rabbi" and "father", that admonition should also apply to the likes of "pastor", "deacon", "reverend" and "elder".

(01-09-2018 06:36 AM)178Kristy Wrote:  3. Confessions. How do your church leaders have the right to forgive sin? Did God give them this authority too and if so where is the verse?
Mark 2:10
But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.

In John 20:21-23, those who receive the Holy Spirit can forgive the sins of others.

Quote:So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

(01-09-2018 06:36 AM)178Kristy Wrote:  4. The rosary. What is it? I never found it in the bible so tell me the verse that says to do this so I can start doing this.

It's an easy way of counting while meditating on the mysteries of Christ.
01-09-2018, 04:36 PM
(01-09-2018 06:36 AM)178Kristy Wrote:  I am confused by [Catholicism] completely and don't understand why [they] are part of Christianity.

Because chronologically - and so far as church history goes - they are the first.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why come the Catholics do not believe in the rapture? jetson 9 1,253 05-27-2015 05:00 PM
Last Post: Teilhard
  Removing Oneself from the count of Catholics iReallyDontKnow 30 2,755 07-24-2013 07:01 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  What’s with Protestants and Catholics and their hate of knowledge? Greatest I am 0 355 01-20-2012 11:19 AM
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Question to Catholics About Gabriele Amorth Secular Hobbit 2 663 03-30-2010 10:39 AM
Last Post: Secular Hobbit

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)