Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Quote from a friend
06-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote from a friend
A friend sent me this quote today, and I liked it. So I thought I would share. What are your thoughts about it?

"Religion is for those who are afraid of Hell . . . Spirituality is for those of us who have lived through it . . . and survived!!"

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2011 10:51 AM by Alison2.)
RE: Quote from a friend
(06-07-2011 10:16 AM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  What are your thoughts about it?

I might change the first part to:

Religion makes you afriad ...

But other than that, Wink , I dig it. I'm interested, though, in what you and other atheists think about the use of the word 'spirituality.' I, personally, would use the word 'faith,' coming from what I do, but I would think that, as an atheist, you have a different take.
06-07-2011, 10:04 PM
(06-07-2011 10:50 AM)Alison2 Wrote:  I'm interested, though, in what you and other atheists think about the use of the word 'spirituality.' I, personally, would use the word 'faith,' coming from what I do, but I would think that, as an atheist, you have a different take.
IMO...
Spirituality is being in touch with some force, energy, being, etc where Faith to me is more of a trust. I think you can be Spiritual without having Faith.

"Religion is fear based - Spirituality doesn't need fear to exist." gTm

@georgeTmaxwell

The universe exists to think, know and experience.
@PaticleAnimism
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Religion is faith in which you accept that their is one ALLAH no other GOD , He is the only creator supreme power. and spirituality is when you cross all limits and exams of Religion you will be close to ALLAH.
06-08-2011, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2011 01:06 AM by EqualAtheist.)
To me spirituality is your mind. Like your soul is your mind. Thus, I like the saying....hope that answered the question you ask Alison. Was not able to sleep tonight, so I am tired.

Basically saying that spirituality is going through your own personal hell, and being able to sort it out in your head and get through it. Or something like that.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
06-08-2011, 06:56 AM
(06-08-2011 01:05 AM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  Basically saying that spirituality is going through your own personal hell, and being able to sort it out in your head and get through it. Or something like that.

That's an excellent way to put it, Equal. Having been, at various times, a Southern Baptist, a Catholic, than an agnostic, I have emerged from it all as SBNR (spiritual but not religious). It took me a while as you said to "sort it out in my head" and get through it. Now, I am much less "stressed" and afraid like I was when I was a hard-line Christian.
06-08-2011, 07:51 AM
(06-08-2011 06:56 AM)digipixel Wrote:  That's an excellent way to put it, Equal. Having been, at various times, a Southern Baptist, a Catholic, than an agnostic, I have emerged from it all as SBNR (spiritual but not religious). It took me a while as you said to "sort it out in my head" and get through it. Now, I am much less "stressed" and afraid like I was when I was a hard-line Christian.

Great summary. SBNR - I like it. You sound free.

The universe exists to think, know and experience.
@PaticleAnimism
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2011, 07:55 AM
digi is very expensive, don't be fooled Smile

????????????????
06-08-2011, 08:05 AM
(06-08-2011 07:55 AM)kevlar Wrote:  digi is very expensive, don't be fooled Smile

LMAO Kev! You make me sound like a hooker!! Angelic
06-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Quote:"Religion is for those who are afraid of Hell . . . Spirituality is for those of us who have lived through it . . . and survived!!"

So wrong it's not even funny.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Quote Function Tutorial EqualAtheist 18 3,054 08-05-2012 06:22 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  I'm Your Friend Even If You're Not Mine John quill Quill 5 1,696 02-06-2011 02:47 PM
Last Post: MRlogic
  What do you think this quote means? camycam178 11 1,776 02-06-2010 12:45 PM
Last Post: ChristineES

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)