Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Red Dragon
11-03-2009, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2009 10:32 PM by Parousia.)
Red Dragon
A conversation elsewhere about Hannibal Lecter brought these pictures to mind. The first novel in the series is Red Dragon, a reference to some William Blake paintings inspired by Revelation.

Here they are. Enjoy.

The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed in Sun
In this painting, the Dragon is seen ready to devour the child of the pregnant woman as depicted in Revelation 12.

[Image: 464px-Reddragon.jpg]

The Great Red Dragon and the Woman clothed with the Sun
This image is similar to The Great Red Dragon and the Woman clothed in Sun but shown from a different viewpoint.

[Image: 506px-William_Blake_003.jpg]

The Great Red Dragon and the Beast from the Sea

[Image: Blakebeast1bg.jpg]

The Number of the Beast is 666

[Image: The_number_of_the_beast_is_666_Philadelp...ibrary.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2009, 02:03 AM
RE: Red Dragon
My Lord,
it's that dude from my nightmares named Saroth!
Yeah I have allot of Dreams with Angels and Demons in them.

This is very interesting,
It seems most Prophecies are based upon strange dreams people have. I've had countless dreams similar to Revelations!

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
11-07-2009, 07:38 AM
A lot of Blake's stuff came from visions, and there's various arguments whether he actually saw them, or imagined them, or quite what. Fascinating guy.
11-28-2009, 05:25 AM
666? I thought the number of the beast was 616.
11-28-2009, 07:04 AM
It's more commonly thought to be 666, or dclxvi in Roman numerals, but I think it's now academics who think it was 616. It's discussed in the 666 thread in the Number's section, and if memory serves someone explains it there.
11-28-2009, 09:25 AM
(11-28-2009 07:04 AM)Zagreus Wrote:  It's more commonly thought to be 666, or dclxvi in Roman numerals, but I think it's now academics who think it was 616. It's discussed in the 666 thread in the Number's section, and if memory serves someone explains it there.

In Gematria, Neron Caesar (Greek spelling) equals 666. John wrote in Greek. The second commonest language in the Empire was Latin and the Latin spelling is Nero Caesar, which equals 616. A few old manuscripts say 616.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

Note the Blake painting. Smile
12-02-2009, 07:55 PM
The discussion of Adam and Eve in another thread called these Blake paintings to mind.

The Creation of Adam

[Image: Creation_of_Adam_Blake.jpg]

Elohim creating Adam

[Image: N05055_9.jpg]

Satan Exulting Over Eve

[Image: 00007501.jpg]

God Judging Adam

[Image: N05063_9.jpg]

The Body of Abel Found by Adam and Eve

[Image: The_Body_of_Abel_Found_by_Adam_and_Eve_Blake.jpg]

And in reference to the virginity discussion elsewhere, here is Blake’s notion of the The Birth of Christ.
Note the ‘miraculous’ delivery, in keeping with the Catholic article of faith that Mary remained a virgin at all times, even during the birth.

[Image: The_Birth_of_Christ_Blake.jpg]

Blake was among other things a book illustrator. Now he is being pressed into service as an illustrator of threads on a religion web site. Strange…
12-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I love Blake's artwork. I'm not so keen on his poetry, but that's more to do with the fact I don't appreciate poetry in general, which is something I'm working on correcting. In keeping with the theme of these paintings, one of my favourites is this one of Babylon from Revelations:

[Image: blakewhorebg.jpg]

An awsome pic, with references to Dante, but her face and body are like that within Hellenistic art. One of my top three Blake paintings.
12-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Here is another Blake Revelation painting, Angel of the Revelation. Like The W h o r e of Babylon (yes, that word was censored!), it has these busy little figures that remind me vaguely of some Hieronymous Bosch work.

[Image: hb_14.81.1.jpg]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)