Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Religion - Christianity
06-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Religion - Christianity
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me the breakdown of the major forms of Christianity. I don't really come from a religious background so I'm not sure what to make of the general info on the net, like wiki and such.

What does each sect stand for? What are their major beliefs? I think I'm just looking for some place to learn how to read the bible rather than become part of a community, however I understand each sect tends to interpret the bible differently.

Does anyone know of any good sources where I can research this further, as a layman?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2008, 02:35 PM
RE: Religion - Christianity
The Bible is true or falsified
06-25-2008, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2008 05:10 PM by Seeker.)
Hi Civi.

As far as I know . . . Christianity can be broken down into three groups . . . Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant.

Protestants (who came originated with the reformation) have many denominations some of which are Alliance, Baptist, Pentecostal and United. Protestants reject papal authority while Catholics accept it. To be honest I'm not sure how the orthodox church feels about it.

Christians all have the same basic belief which is that men & women are all guilty of sin and the price for that sin is death. God send Jesus as payment for those sins.

Many parts of the bible are interpreted differently which leads to so many denominations. For example . . . some denominations believe you are saved by faith alone, others believe it's by works, then others believe it's a combination of both. The best way to get the scoop on Christianity is by researching the bible because men & women will give you different answers.

Then there are groups like the Mormons & Jehovah Witness who some Christians will accept as Christians while others will deny they are Christians.

It's all rather complicated. But I hope that helps somewhat.
06-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Civi Wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me the breakdown of the major forms of Christianity. I don't really come from a religious background so I'm not sure what to make of the general info on the net, like wiki and such.

What does each sect stand for? What are their major beliefs? I think I'm just looking for some place to learn how to read the bible rather than become part of a community, however I understand each sect tends to interpret the bible differently.

Does anyone know of any good sources where I can research this further, as a layman?

Thanks

Civi, I would encourage you to draw your own conclusions from what you read in the Bible, rather than rely on someone else to interpret it for you. After reading it, you may come to different conclusions than someone else. If it is the language you are having a problem with, some of the new Bibles (like the New International Version) have taken steps to remove much of the archaic nomenclature, and often provide interpretive clarification within the book itself.

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
06-26-2008, 10:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalajara...ernational
[/quote]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Separation of state and religion in Christianity and Islam mahasn ebn sawresho 2 599 04-16-2014 05:44 AM
Last Post: mahasn ebn sawresho
  Does anyone else besides me realize that Christianity is a rip off religion? HeathenHero95 34 4,645 11-17-2013 05:19 AM
Last Post: Nasrani29

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)