Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Religion = Control mechanism
02-22-2010, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2010 10:42 PM by Eddison Jones.)
Religion = Control mechanism
Even from an early age, I realized that there was something inherently wrong with religion and its false sense of comfort, its false sense of goodness, morality, and decency. I would question these morals, this God that my parents had deluded me to believing, and the very sanctity of their ridiculous doctrine. I would ask simple questions to my "spiritual leaders" of the Catholic Church. Things like, "there is a strict commandment against taking the life of another, then why has God taken the lives of so many?" The only answer I ever really received was either anger and disapproval, or a simple "shut up and believe." But, of course, I have not since shut up, and I have not since believed, so I sit before you all today, typing this. This sense of ethic wrongfulness that I had sensed earlier in my life had been so very correct. You see, Religion is evil. It was designed to oppress your mind and to rob of your humanity, and to rob of your critical thinking ability, spoon-feeding you false information intentionally so as to keep from recognizing your absence of humanity and sense of morality. It is a control mechanism. To keep men from being men. We have, however, made this mythological nonsense a widely accepted part of our culture, and have gone so far as to poison our moral and ethic ideologies about how we should live our every day lives, and about how we should act around others. Not only that, those with this intellectual poison, Religion, have spat on their children's minds, and those children have spat on their children's minds. It turns people into sheep, sheep to be herded. Sheep to be prodded around barbarically. It's absolutely disgusting.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2010, 06:31 AM
RE: Religion = Control mechanism
(02-22-2010 10:41 PM)Eddison Jones Wrote:  Even from an early age, I realized that there was something inherently wrong with religion and its false sense of comfort, its false sense of goodness, morality, and decency. I would question these morals, this God that my parents had deluded me to believing, and the very sanctity of their ridiculous doctrine. I would ask simple questions to my "spiritual leaders" of the Catholic Church. Things like, "there is a strict commandment against taking the life of another, then why has God taken the lives of so many?" The only answer I ever really received was either anger and disapproval, or a simple "shut up and believe." But, of course, I have not since shut up, and I have not since believed, so I sit before you all today, typing this. This sense of ethic wrongfulness that I had sensed earlier in my life had been so very correct. You see, Religion is evil. It was designed to oppress your mind and to rob of your humanity, and to rob of your critical thinking ability, spoon-feeding you false information intentionally so as to keep from recognizing your absence of humanity and sense of morality. It is a control mechanism. To keep men from being men. We have, however, made this mythological nonsense a widely accepted part of our culture, and have gone so far as to poison our moral and ethic ideologies about how we should live our every day lives, and about how we should act around others. Not only that, those with this intellectual poison, Religion, have spat on their children's minds, and those children have spat on their children's minds. It turns people into sheep, sheep to be herded. Sheep to be prodded around barbarically. It's absolutely disgusting.

I stopped being a Catholic close to 50 years ago, so maybe the Catholic education system has gone downhill since then or you did not get a parochial education. But I got much better answers than you did. Not that the answers satisfied a hyper-analytical SOB like me. Big Grin But I will admit they had coherent and impressive sounding answers on tap. Is it that Catholic education has sunk so low or simply been unavailable to you? Or is there perhaps a touch - or more than a touch - of just plain rebellion involved here?

People love to use the metaphor of sheep when talking about the Catholic church and it certainly fits. But it is also somewhat misleading. It is not all about power. It is about preservation. The church is having major problems with fitting into the modern world and my guess is that it is never going to happen. There is too much emphasis on preservation and too little on adaptation to the needs of the present.

I will never go back to being a Catholic and I am certainly not recommending that you do it either. But I do recommend that you look into the nature and history of religion and understand what purpose it serves and in what ways it meets and fails to meet that purpose. How can that purpose be met without religion? That is the question that needs to be asked.

And while you are asking questions, ask yourself this: How could a social meme like religion have existed and thrived from prehistoric times to the present without having some kind of survival value? Evolution is not kind to be sure. But it is effective. There are lots or ex-Catholics and other ex-believers of all stripes who see everything as black and white. Ain't that simple, I am afraid. Learn. Understand. Then act.
02-23-2010, 07:11 AM
I am confused. I think we agree here, but not sure. Saying that religion is just something made up by man (and not of divine origin) is an opinion and not a “fact.” You can’t really prove or disprove a matter of faith to another person – like proving that God doesn’t exist or something like that. You can only prove it or disprove it to yourself to your own satisfaction.
02-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Anythign can control you if you let it
The wise man understands this
The foolishman lets it break him.

we see things as we are
Not as they are

--Gibran

The sage does not distinguish between himself and the world;
The needs of other people are as his own.

He is good to those who are good;
He is also good to those who are not good,
Thereby he is good.
He trusts those who are trustworthy;
He also trusts those who are not trustworthy,
Thereby he is trustworthy.

The sage lives in harmony with the world,
And his mind is the world's mind.
So he nurtures the worlds of others
As a mother does her children.

--Tao te chin

It is I who am you, it is you who are me. wherever you are,I am there. I am sown in all; you collect me from wherever you wish. And when you collect me, it is your own self that you collect.
02-24-2010, 05:24 AM
(02-22-2010 10:41 PM)Eddison Jones Wrote:  Even from an early age, I realized that there was something inherently wrong with religion and its false sense of comfort, its false sense of goodness, morality, and decency. I would question these morals, this God that my parents had deluded me to believing, and the very sanctity of their ridiculous doctrine. I would ask simple questions to my "spiritual leaders" of the Catholic Church. Things like, "there is a strict commandment against taking the life of another, then why has God taken the lives of so many?" The only answer I ever really received was either anger and disapproval, or a simple "shut up and believe." But, of course, I have not since shut up, and I have not since believed, so I sit before you all today, typing this. This sense of ethic wrongfulness that I had sensed earlier in my life had been so very correct. You see, Religion is evil. It was designed to oppress your mind and to rob of your humanity, and to rob of your critical thinking ability, spoon-feeding you false information intentionally so as to keep from recognizing your absence of humanity and sense of morality. It is a control mechanism. To keep men from being men. We have, however, made this mythological nonsense a widely accepted part of our culture, and have gone so far as to poison our moral and ethic ideologies about how we should live our every day lives, and about how we should act around others. Not only that, those with this intellectual poison, Religion, have spat on their children's minds, and those children have spat on their children's minds. It turns people into sheep, sheep to be herded. Sheep to be prodded around barbarically. It's absolutely disgusting.

What you're doing here is taking one religion and judging all religions by it. That's not fair or really accurate. And when you say ". Not only that, those with this intellectual poison, Religion, have spat on their children's minds, and those children have spat on their children's minds. It turns people into sheep, sheep to be herded. Sheep to be prodded around barbarically. It's absolutely disgusting." Suggest that all religions devalue or don't accept education or intellectual pursuits is ridiculous.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is Christianity a mind control cult? hendrix30 147 11,645 11-21-2015 07:05 AM
Last Post: hioni
  Warning to Theists about RF Atheists control of RF biomystic 112 10,234 12-31-2011 08:36 AM
Last Post: Zagreus
  Religion ~ Mind Control. i2i 5 1,175 12-28-2010 10:57 AM
Last Post: i2i
  Taking back control of Religion Forums.org biomystic 78 7,460 09-19-2010 10:10 AM
Last Post: may

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)