Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Religion: The greatest evil.
09-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Religion: The greatest evil.
Religion is greatest source of hate, death, violence, and destruction that has ever shown itself on mankind. Almost all wars throughout the history of our species have ties to a particular religion or religions. While it is obvious that the worlds religions are nothing more then old myths, and silly superstitious tradition. Its negativity is much greater then just providing ignorance to reality, it is a way to justify horrible actions. There have been so many horrible actions in our history that have been caused by religion (I'm sure no one has a problem thinking of some).

Violence from religion is an obvious trend, a trend that continues to this day, and will continue into the future. The only difference is now the fanatics are in a position of obtaining nuclear weapons. There has been a lot of discussion about this, and it is a very serious issue. Believing you have the creator of the universe on your side gives you a lot of confidence in thinking you are right. If enough nukes get launched, it could "launch" this planet into a nuclear winter. Regardless of what a person believes, all people need to realize that violence is never a solution, it only perpetuates more violence and self-destruction.

I have a blog that discusses things like this. If anyone is interested in checking it out, the address is... http://the-atheist-perspective.blogspot.com/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2009, 09:41 PM
RE: Religion: The greatest evil.
Since you posted this an hour and a half ago, I've been contemplating whether to reply. On the one hand, I agree with you. I've read your existing posts, and I agree with you. As a rational, thinking atheists, I've come to many of the same conclusions you have.

But I wonder, who is the audience for your blog? Because I think it's only other atheists. I saw nothing there that would convince a religious person to challenge their views. Instead, it's far too easy just to write you off as a 'hateful atheist' and go away.

As atheists, we have no obligation to those who are still mired in religion. But as humans, we do have an obligation to make the world a better place. Not because of any genetic compulsion, but because if we are not willing to do so . . . who will? So I would like to challenge you to look at the tone of your articles. I would like to challenge you to include sources, to look at the other side and point out why its arguments are fallacious. To craft arguments that are not emotional, not attacks, but instead are logical, rational processes that speak not only to your fellow atheists, but to those religious people who had never realized just how illogical and destructive their beliefs are.

Lets face it, we've got some fantastic atheist apologists out there. Indeed, it's my sincere belief that anyone with an open mind who actually plunges into the scientific and logical arguments will emerge an atheist. As atheists, it feels good to have another cheerleader. Really good. But what we need, more than anything, is someone who has the patient ability to speak to those who don't have open minds. Who can open up the minds of others by speaking to them in terms they can understand.

You're certainly not obligated to do so. I can't find anything factually wrong with any of your conclusions. But if I hadn't already come to those conclusions myself, I don't think your posts would persuade me of anything.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-21-2009, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2009 10:02 PM by Bobin.)
How do I rep you GT, although I may not agree with everything you say, your posts are almost always well thought and it seems like you know what your talking about.Wink

Anyway, back to the point, I disagree strongly with some of the things you've said JP and I don't think you should be so harsh on religion.
(09-21-2009 09:03 PM)jpayne68177 Wrote:  Religion is greatest source of hate, death, violence, and destruction that has ever shown itself on mankind.

Yes and No. I agree, the Crusades were a prime example of this but at the same time religion gives an individual, essence or meaning to their life. Religion is often what keeps one going at time when things are hard. If you've take a look at history, religion has done a of good for mankind as well. Religion in some cases, has been the foundation for the birth of nations.

Maybe your right. Maybe we would all be better off without religion. But I don't think we'll ever really know.

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness~ Albert Einstein

Live like everyday is your last~ Anonymous
09-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Selfishness from an Individual or group of Selfish practitioners say their will is the will of G%D is in actuality manifested will of negative Entities. Greatest Practitioners will not hit back nor defend for their life, Greatest Practitioners want nothing (materialism) in life but to help others. Greatest Practitioners respect all Beings as Life is the most valuable "chance". Greatest Practitioners refuse to manifest any Negative Feedback towards anyone.

Religion: The Greatest Evil applies to those who truly misunderstood the teachings.

My opinion about this subject, Religion as being the greatest evil is totally wrong because Man ignorantly/intentionally use religion as their tool to obtain what they want, religions teachings is to want nothing and live righteously, loving, compassionately towards all beings. so therefore its the Individual not religion.
09-21-2009, 10:55 PM
That's a "No True Scotsman" argument. Think of all the good things that religion has done for the world. Now ask yourself . . . are those things that religion was vital for? In other words, would those things not have occurred had there not been religion? Perhaps some things, but most virtues, charity, generosity, kindness, order, structure, are things that would have existed even if they weren't religious. In fact, more often than not throughout history the religious aspects of these things were subverted or ignored. Hence "the divine right of kings" simply became a word used to justify a governmental structure.

Now look at all the evil things religion has done for the world. Bigotry, hatred, war, violence. Now ask yourself . . . are those things that religion was vital for? Certainly these things would exist without religion, but would they exist to such an extent? Would the Crusades have been possible without religion? Would the Inquisition have been possible without Religion? No. These things were inherently religious in their very natures.

Now this can all be debated. But at the very least, religion has not given any more to the world than it has taken. This makes religion at best unnecessary, and at worst evil.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-22-2009, 03:17 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2009 04:20 AM by friendofafriend.)
if you take away religion then you'll take the bad and the good... what will be left in a world of no religion?

wouldn't we be left with the world of bad and good still without religion existing?

world without religion: murder, sex crimes, money frauds, power, war would still exist.

world with religion: murder, sex crimes, money frauds, power, war would still exist.

Good things will still exist with/out religion too.

so to erase religion from this world would be pointless. unless you think communism is the way to be?

Even the attempt to remove religion will kill many lives. absolutely NO ONE, even the most powerful mortal man can't remove religion, Even the Dev!L himself can't remove religion, it will not be possible. unless an atheist nukes the whole world but leaving just him and his wife to continue human race would make it possible, highly unlikely.
(09-21-2009 10:55 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  That's a "No True Scotsman" argument. Think of all the good things that religion has done for the world. Now ask yourself . . . are those things that religion was vital for? In other words, would those things not have occurred had there not been religion? Perhaps some things, but most virtues, charity, generosity, kindness, order, structure, are things that would have existed even if they weren't religious. In fact, more often than not throughout history the religious aspects of these things were subverted or ignored. Hence "the divine right of kings" simply became a word used to justify a governmental structure.

Now look at all the evil things religion has done for the world. Bigotry, hatred, war, violence. Now ask yourself . . . are those things that religion was vital for? Certainly these things would exist without religion, but would they exist to such an extent? Would the Crusades have been possible without religion? Would the Inquisition have been possible without Religion? No. These things were inherently religious in their very natures.

Now this can all be debated. But at the very least, religion has not given any more to the world than it has taken. This makes religion at best unnecessary, and at worst evil.

here is an attempt to remove religion,

http://www.livevideo.com/video/CBF664378...-fire.aspx

people will die for it so how can you remove it from their mind/heart?
this monk didn't fight back but instead he sacrifice himself to bring awareness to the world and just maybe someone will listen to end the violence. because his faith/belief, fear of death is not in his mind at all but compassion is. therefore religion will always exist but its the practitioners who will glorify its deepest meaning or tarnish its purpose. I agree the purpose of the teachings has been tarnished by many who kill for religion.

GT, you do have a valid point about what religion has brought to mankind.
but have you seen what positive meaning it has brought to mankind?
09-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Yes, I have. And religion does, occasionally, encourage people to behave well. But it encourages them to behave well in an unthinking, inflexible way. They behave well only because religion says to, without thinking about it. Which means that when that same religion tells them to, say, hate gay people, they hate gay people with just as much enthusiasm. Just as an example.

That's why you get the, frankly, pathetic excuse, "Who are you to judge god?" whenever I bring up the fact that the Christian god has ordered genocide, damned infants, and commanded women to sleep with their rapists. It's because they're not actually good people, they are OBEDIENT people.

In this world we need fewer obedient people and more good people.

09-22-2009, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2009 10:16 AM by Raphael.)
(09-21-2009 09:41 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  As a rational, thinking atheists, I've come to many of the same conclusions you have.

rational you?

hahahaha

atheists like bible thumpers use exactly the same flawed tool set.

the holier than thou rational atheists and the holier than thou bible thumpers BOTH suffer from the same damn malaise.

They BOTH take things far too LITERALLY.

i.e.
the bible thumpers believe jesus fed hundreds of people using 2 fish and a loaf of bread.
the athesist suggests that can't possibly be...and then they use their 'science' to prove the LITERAL bible thumpers are sadly mislead.

There are countless examples of where the extraordinary claims can be easily dismissed using modern science.

duh EWE are ALL missing the point.

What both camps fail to do...that I try to accomplish as the King Salmon, Wink always going against the flow, swimming upstream, making quantum leaps over the cosmic rapids, in my attempts to reach the spawning grounds, so I can eventually spew my royal seed, is simply to interpret the information/clues to the biblical narrative, using FIGURATIVE CSI.

I am not the only fella doing this.
Atheists and bible thumpers suffer from the same damn flaw.
No wonder they stand opposite and opposed these past 2000+ years.

They are mirror images of each other and they don't like what they see.
Tongue

please do continue fellas for another 2000+ years...

namaste

NATURE cannot be HIDDEN only VEILeD with NARRATIVES that defy NATURE

CodeX4 and the Reconciliation of Science and Religion
http://kachina2012.wordpress.com/about/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does the award for the greatest evil go to Satan or God? Greatest I am 16 2,633 08-29-2012 08:23 AM
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Is religion Evil? Percival 46 4,843 08-05-2012 04:45 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  Religion is not the root of all evil Sensei 17 1,744 07-30-2012 07:25 AM
Last Post: Fender
  God loves the evil ones more than the good because he is the greatest sinner. Greatest I am 2 787 07-13-2012 10:36 AM
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Which is the greatest religion in the world? sacredtravelguide 20 2,443 08-31-2010 09:53 AM
Last Post: kevlar

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)