Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Religion and Pop Culture
03-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Religion and Pop Culture
I think this could be an interesting debate or discussion. Religion has adapted or permeates so much of popular culture. HolyBabylon posted about a Dante's Inferno video game, then of course there's things like Thor, Bibleman, VeggieTales, gods as barbies, Beowulf turned into a flick with Angelina Jolie.

And heck -- you can find a superhero with any religion in the world, or lack-thereof -- Comic Book Characters by Religion.

So is there a point when it goes "too far"? Is there a point where it becomes disrespectful or harmful to the faith? Or are some people just too sensitive?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2010, 08:39 PM
RE: Religion and Pop Culture
It seems to me that by the time something "religious" or "theological" becomes part of popular culture, it becomes frozen and perpetuated uncritically, and eventually people mistake the pop-culture version for the real thing without even knowing or realizing where their ideas came from.

I think simulacra is the term for this, when the pop-culture symbol becomes mistaken for the real thing.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
12-11-2010, 04:16 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2010 04:42 AM by Ullikummis.)
Cool RE: Religion and Pop Culture
(03-18-2010 08:39 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  It seems to me that by the time something "religious" or "theological" becomes part of popular culture .. people mistake the pop-culture version for the real thing without even knowing or realizing where their ideas came from.

I will fully agree. Please keep going.
Now, Imho, Try expanding (and furthering) this to even the religious people, who reference some religious text. Commonly in a completely "allusionary" manner, on some level. I use the word allusionary. A horribly bad example of an allusion of say being against "evil" by referencing the final incarnation of the Hindu Lord Vishnu.
12-11-2010, 04:50 AM
thor's my favorite marvel character Tongue

why would it hurt religion? it would influence different groups to what they are interested in.
12-11-2010, 06:21 AM
the batmobile is much better than the Pope mobile.

????????????????
12-11-2010, 06:32 AM
Smile good one
12-11-2010, 12:01 PM
South Park's treatment of pretty much all the major religious figures?........in just one episode
12-12-2010, 07:52 PM
except for muhammed*, they didnt show him because i guess it will "offend" people when they clearly show budha snorting cocaine
12-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Er.... I think you've entirely missed the point of that episode if you think Matt and Trey excluded Mohammad, Log. Watch it again, and compare it with Super Bestfriends (Season 5) and Cartoon Wars (probably season 9 or 10, but I'm not quite that much of a geek to see how they feel about this issue.

One thing that always gets forgotten about South Park and religion is that, though they're often openly critical of dogma and ritual, they're actually very positive about the value of faith in the life of an individual. Watch the episodes Red Hot Catholic Love or All About The Mormons to see what I'm talking about.
12-13-2010, 03:58 AM
id rather you tell me instead of watching all that

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pedophile Culture PopeADope 78 3,360 08-27-2016 04:40 PM
Last Post: Avun Jahei
  Can religion be separated from culture/ethnicity? Radical 76 9,083 07-20-2016 02:01 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  The media's influence on todays culture Orion26 3 798 02-04-2013 06:18 AM
Last Post: trevor
  Culture and Religion malleus 11 2,229 05-28-2010 04:46 AM
Last Post: malleus
  A New, paradigm, a new culture of learning and growth in the Baha'i Community RonPrice 2 1,479 08-03-2009 07:14 PM
Last Post: RonPrice

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)