Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Religion and Why I Dislike It
01-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Religion and Why I Dislike It
Hello everyone and welcome.
As suggested by the title, I will be forwarding my thoughts on Religion and why exactly I don't care for it. But before I say anything, I would like to convey one thing to you all: I'm not insulting you, your religion, your moral principles, or even your sense of judgment. I'm simply stating my opinion with as much carefulness as possible.
Now, onto the main subject. I dislike Religion for a number of reasons. Mostly because it can and will install a sense of confinement and narrow mindedness into any individual that follows it. Meaning every one of your opinions, political views, and actions must be solely based on the Religion you follow. For example, many (if not all) Christians are Pro-life, or anti-abortion because their Religion condemns abortion as a sin. Now, let's just assume for a second that Religion never existed and deities are not real. Do you still think that people would be Pro-life? Of course they would. People should form their opinions on their personal sense of judgment and morality, rather than something forced upon them by their parents.
To sum this all up, I view Religion as a figurative jail cell that keeps you from forming your own opinions and deciding your own morals.

Feel free to correct me, tell me what an idiot I am, or tell me how brilliant I am. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2010, 10:04 PM
RE: Religion and Why I Dislike It
(01-05-2010 09:48 PM)Eddison Jones Wrote:  Hello everyone and welcome.
As suggested by the title, I will be forwarding my thoughts on Religion and why exactly I don't care for it. But before I say anything, I would like to convey one thing to you all: I'm not insulting you, your religion, your moral principles, or even your sense of judgment. I'm simply stating my opinion with as much carefulness as possible.
Now, onto the main subject. I dislike Religion for a number of reasons. Mostly because it can and will install a sense of confinement and narrow mindedness into any individual that follows it. Meaning every one of your opinions, political views, and actions must be solely based on the Religion you follow. For example, many (if not all) Christians are Pro-life, or anti-abortion because their Religion condemns abortion as a sin. Now, let's just assume for a second that Religion never existed and deities are not real. Do you still think that people would be Pro-life? Of course they would. People should form their opinions on their personal sense of judgment and morality, rather than something forced upon them by their parents.
To sum this all up, I view Religion as a figurative jail cell that keeps you from forming your own opinions and deciding your own morals.

Feel free to correct me, tell me what an idiot I am, or tell me how brilliant I am. Big Grin

I disagree on a basic level, but I do understand and see where you're coming from -- there are a lot of people in the world who remain in the belief system they are raised in, and have that sort of close-mindedness.

However, not all religions desire that close-mindedness, and not all religious people start and end in the same faith. I myself started as an agnostic in a blended religious family, to Christian, to atheist, to polytheist. Often personal judgment and morality decide religion and not the other way around -- and the idea of the "jail cell" is incorrect, as very few people are forced to remain in their faiths.

Anyway, that's my view.
01-06-2010, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2010 07:32 AM by Parousia.)
Hi Eddison Jones

With your respectful attitude and effective way of expressing yourself, you are most welcome to the Forums.
01-06-2010, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2010 10:48 AM by StevieHummingbird.)
EJ,
I am sorry you believe this way, because religion is such a divine and wonderful thing once you can see it for what it really is.
Unfortunately, few can. I am understand what you are saying though.
Personally, I have very strong morals, and as well a strong religious view.
I don't like them to "blur", a sorta way to put it, so I have created my own guidelines.
I do what is right, for me and the universe.
You are who you are, don't let things such as religion get in the way of that.
But don't let who you are get in the way of what you can develop as well.
With Love,
S.H.
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I wonder, SH, are you doing what you think is right? Or what you religion has told you is right?

I'm all for doing what you think is right. If you have looked at a situation and made a moral judgment based on the factors involved, well, that's just morality. That's ethics. That's what separates civilization from anarchy. But it's so easy to just make blanket statements. It's so easy to fall back on dogma rather than truth. And that's the danger of religion and religious thinking.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-07-2010, 09:47 PM
What I believe is right, we are born with an intact knowing of what is wrong and what is right, and those who do not know are often those who are need of help. I am my religion, as much as it is me, we are one and the same, the way we blend fits the other one.
01-08-2010, 12:29 AM
See, I do not think we are born with an inherent knowledge of right and wrong. We do have some instinctive impulses, but complex morality isn't one of them. On the other hand, society teaches morality almost universally, because certain morals are necessary for a society. But if morality was instinctual than cults would not be nearly as effective.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-08-2010, 12:55 PM
But as a child when I stole I kn ew it was wrong when I cused I was afaid of getting caught, and as I grew older I became gulity when I did some unappropiate, and so o and so forth. Like we learn certain lesson through life, but we have a first feeling about it. Like sometimes we do something that we know is bad. Like I know hitting someone is wrong. Religion is not a complex thing in which takes time to decide weather it is wrong or right, to you it is or is not. Haven't you ever had a religious thought that made you backtract and think that isn't all right? Common sense.
01-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Of course I have. But then I was raised in the church, and more importantly, I was raised in a civilization. Morality is programmed into us at a very young age by our parents, the TV shows we watch, the books we read, etc, etc.

What you felt wasn't instinct, it was training. Children are capable of grasping concepts like "right" and "wrong" long before you can remember your childhood, so it seems as if you have always had those feelings.

01-09-2010, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010 06:48 PM by Zagreus.)
(01-09-2010 11:33 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Children are capable of grasping concepts like "right" and "wrong" long before you can remember your childhood, so it seems as if you have always had those feelings.

Exactly right I'd say, GT. You grasp these concepts by being told off or rewarded when you are younger, from as soon as you are born.

Take public nudity, for example. (I'm now addressing the forum, not just you GT!) Did you care about wearing clothes when you were a baby? Remember running about on the beach naked as a baby? No? You also didn't care. Once you're an adult you're called a naturist and have to go to specific places to do this.

Nudity is drummed into us as wrong from when we are a child; we become aware of our nakedness, and think it wrong and a crime in public*. (Same as pooing yourself. You have to do that in the privacy of your own home, or pay people to let you do that, as an adult.)

*Reminds me of a Biblical story, that one...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)