Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Religion is not the root of all evil
07-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Religion is not the root of all evil
The followers of different religions have done many wrong deeds throughout history. Even in our time and age, it happens a lot of injustice in the name of religion. But the truth is that religion can be used positively and abused like everything else in the world. Some people are guided by religion, and become better people. But other peopleare misled by religion, and do wrong deeds. The problem is not religious texts. The problem is people who choose to abuse these texts to suit their personal agenda. For example, a person can use a knife to cut bread, which he gives to the hungry people on the street. Or he can use the same knif to cut himself in the arm, or abuse the knife by using it in a fight. As you can see, the knife is not guilty when it comes to how it is used. The knife is a harmless object. The person who chooses to abuse the knife, is the one who is guilty. If people do crazy things, you can not blame their religion. The followers must take responsibility for their wrongdoings. Whenever something bad happens in the name of religion, it is not the fault of the Quran, the bible or the Torah. You can not arrest the Bible, Torah or Koran. And no court in the world would accept this.

We can not deny that religion has been abused by humans throughout history. We can't deny that wrong and unjust actions have been done by people who claimed they were religious. And we can't deny that even in our time and age, people in many religious countries, particularly Arab countries, become oppressed by people who claim they are religious.

Witch Hunting, crusades and imprisonment of non-religious and people who were free thinkers, are examples of wrong and unjust actions that have been done by people who claimed that they were religious. In the past, many religious people tried to prevent freedom of speech, open debate, science and free-thinking in the society. The priests were afraid of losing power, authority and their wealth, so they oppressed people in order to maintain their unjust systems. But the fact is that none of the prophets taught the people to hate eachother, oppress each other, be violent towards each other, exploit each other, be unfair to each other, or do other evil acts. The Prophets teached people to be compassionate and peaceful. The prophets learned people to be generous, taught people to be fair, be moral, take care of each other, seek knowledge, and they wanted to unite mankind. So all the evil acts that happened in the past and still happens, in the name of religion, is against the basic and fundamental principles of religion. Some people claim that religion is the root of all evil, but that's a lie. No followers of religions have killed as many people as secular and atheistic ideologies like communism and fascism. According to history, more than 50 million people were killed by supporters of communism. Followers of Islam, Judaism and Christianity have not killed as many people as Communists have done. Therefore, if we use logic and reason, we will understand that religion is not the root of all evil, and that supporters of communism, fascism, and other man-made ideologies have been worse than the followers of different religions. The capitalist system alone has contributed to pollute more than all the religions combined. On the other hand, the religious Buddhists in the East, are some of the most peaceful people on earth. They do not start wars and do not pollute the planet like capitalist nations in the West. Buddhists show compassion for people and animals, and take care of nature.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2011, 08:27 PM
RE: Religion is not the root of all evil
The wicked will remain wicked they will have no understanding but the wise will have it.
Wisdom makes friends of the Lord God and prophets.
The upright will dwell in the land, the honest will remain in it.

Don’t forget my teaching, keep my commands in mind ;
For many days, and years of life, and peace, will they bring you.

The curse of the Lord is on the house of the wicked, but the dwelling of the just he blesses;

My son, pay attention to my words, incline your ear to my sayings ;
Don’t let them slip out of your sight, keep them within your heart;
For they are life to those who find them, to man's whole being they are health.
The fear of the Lord prolongs life, and the words of the upright saves them.
The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life and those who walk uprightly fear the Lord.
The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life and happy is he who is kind to the poor.
The Lord’s delight is those who speak the truth, and those who speak what is right he loves
The Lord is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the just .
The ear that hears, and the eye that sees - the Lord has made them both.
The oppression of the wicked will sweep them away, because they refuse to do what is right.
Those who pursues justice and kindness will find honor and life.
Those who fear the Lord walk uprightly.

Those are the words of the Lord who sent me. I came down from heaven to do His will not my own.

My teaching is not my own it comes from the one who sent me.
Whoever chooses to do his will shall know about this teaching whether it comes from God or whether I‘m speaking on my own.
Whoever speaks on his own seeks his own glory, but whoever seeks the glory of the one who sent him is truthful, and there is no dishonesty in his heart.
Stop judging by appearances, judge justly.
I did not come on my own, the one who is true sent me, Him you do not know.
I know him, because I come from him, he’s the one who sent me.

I am the light of the world. No one who follows me will ever walk in darkness, cause he will possess the light of life. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where he is going.
Once you have the light, keep faith in the light, and you will become a child of light.
Whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the one who sent me,
and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me.
I came into the world as its light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in the dark.
If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world but to save it.
Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words he already has his judge namely the words I‘ve spoken that’s what will condemn him on the last day,
because I did not speak on my own, but the Lord who sent me commanded me what to say and speak.
And since I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say is spoken just as he instructed me.

I am the first and I am the last the One who lives once I died but now I live forever and ever.
07-14-2011, 07:16 AM
I was with the OP until the last paragraph. Religion is a man made concept which negates the whole thread.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
07-14-2011, 09:03 AM
(07-14-2011 07:16 AM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  I was with the OP until the last paragraph. Religion is a man made concept which negates the whole thread.

Same here!!
07-16-2011, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2011 12:32 AM by Prince.)
Religion is not the root of all evil as you put it but those who belong say they see but they are blind.

Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I tell you, will attempt to enter but will not be strong enough.
After the master of the house has arisen and locked the door, then will you stand outside knocking and saying, 'Lord, open the door for us.' He will say to you in reply, 'I do not know where you are from.'
And you will say, 'We ate and drank in your company and you taught in our streets.'
Then he will say to you, 'I do not know you.. Depart from me, all you evildoers!'
And there will be wailing and grinding of teeth when you see Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God and you yourselves left out.

Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him the Lord, God, has set his seal.I am son of man. Anyone who eats my flesh and drinks my blood will live forever and I will raise him on the last day.

Truly I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes in the one who sent me possesses eternal life and will not be condemned, but has passed from death to life.
Truly I tell you, the hour is coming and is now here when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who have heeded it will live.
For just as the Lord has life in himself, so too has he given his Son the possession of life in himself.
And he gave him power to pass judgment, because he is the Son of Man.

Justice will bring about peace; right will produce calm and security.

Who of us can live with the consuming fire? who of us can live with the everlasting flames? He who does what is right and speaks the truth.

Look in the book of the Lord and read: No one of these shall be lacking, For the mouth of the Lord has ordered it, and his spirit shall gather them there.

I am the gate to heaven. Anyone who enters through me will be saved.
07-16-2011, 09:24 AM
I got as far as entering a narrow gate. Usually when I see a bunch of people trying to enter a narrow gate, I stand back and wait, until they are either through or stop trying, and then I walk through later. Its part of having patience.

07-16-2011, 09:53 AM
(07-16-2011 09:24 AM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  I got as far as entering a narrow gate. Usually when I see a bunch of people trying to enter a narrow gate, I stand back and wait, until they are either through or stop trying, and then I walk through later. Its part of having patience.

Same here Big Grin
07-17-2011, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2011 05:19 PM by Prince.)
(07-14-2011 09:03 AM)Alison2 Wrote:  
(07-14-2011 07:16 AM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  I was with the OP until the last paragraph. Religion is a man made concept which negates the whole thread.

Same here!!

Justice - When you get what you deserve.
Mercy - When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace - When you get what you don't deserve.

Prince Wrote:

Those definitions of Justice, Mercy and Grace are totally incorrect as far as what they are to God. Maybe you don't care but here are some definitions as scripture defines them.

"The Lord has made you king to execute justice and righteousness.

He loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord.

Great is your mercy, O Lord; give me life according to your justice.

The evil do not understand justice, but those who seek the Lord understand it completely.

The Lord of hosts is exalted by justice, and the Holy God shows himself holy by righteousness.

Great is your mercy, O Lord; give me life according to your justice.

I have taken away my peace from this people, says the Lord, my steadfast love and mercy.

Atone for your sins with righteousness, and your iniquities with mercy.

Blessed are the merciful, they will be shown mercy.

You are fairer than the children of men; Grace is upon your lips: Therefore God has blessed you for ever.

And the child grew, and waxed strong, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

And all bare him witness, and wondered at the words of grace which proceeded out of his mouth: and they said, Is not this Joseph's son?
07-17-2011, 07:03 PM
As God, I say to you Prince. If you do not want my wrath, never try to correct Alison again. I have already told you that she has a special place with me.....freckles and all...this is your warning.

07-18-2011, 08:15 AM
(07-17-2011 05:18 PM)Prince Wrote:  Prince Wrote:

Those definitions of Justice, Mercy and Grace are totally incorrect as far as what they are to God. Maybe you don't care but here are some definitions as scripture defines them.

Well, prince, simplicity is the order of the day. Simply stated, my God gives justice, mercy and grace in exactly those ways. He is just when I get what I deserve for whatever I have done wrong. He is merciful when I don't get what I deserve when I have done wrong. And, most importantly, in my faith, is that His grace has abounded in my life more numerous than the justice and mercy.

And, really, reading what you posted, your scripture (though not attributed) backs my signature.

Thanks, though, for your opinion.

(07-17-2011 07:03 PM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  As God, I say to you Prince. If you do not want my wrath, never try to correct Alison again. I have already told you that she has a special place with me.....freckles and all...this is your warning.

I totally love having my own Security Detail!

And, Equal, after another sun-filled football weekend, I fear I will have several thousand more freckles once the charred skin sloughs off! Cool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is religion Evil? Percival 46 4,936 08-05-2012 04:45 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  Religion: The greatest evil. jpayne68177 7 3,247 09-22-2009 10:13 AM
Last Post: Raphael

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)