Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Religious Vocations
05-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Religious Vocations
Why is it that society (at least in the U.S.) seems to think going into religious life or the priesthood is so strange? Is it because of the celibacy, or is it related to a dislike of Catholicism in general by some people? I think those who go into a religious vocation are pretty awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2008, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2008 10:28 PM by God Rocks.)
RE: Religious Vocations
That is a good question. These are important jobs and it seems like fewer and fewer people want them. I think it may be that, on averagage, religion isn't as big a part of people's lives as it used to be. Why that may be is a whole nether question.

I actually think that more people would consider being priests if they allowed women priests and if they allowed priests to get married. I understand there are some reasons why these rules are in place but if you really get into it they seem to largely be around because of tradition. Tradition doesn't seem like a very good reason though, especially since these rules didn't exist until a couple hundred years into the early church so its not like they've always been around.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Discerning Wrote:Why is it that society (at least in the U.S.) seems to think going into religious life or the priesthood is so strange? Is it because of the celibacy, or is it related to a dislike of Catholicism in general by some people? I think those who go into a religious vocation are pretty awesome.

If you are speaking specifically of Catholicism I would wager that celibacy may play a part in it, as well as discrimination against women and gays. But you are speaking of a largely protestant country.

If we are speaking about more general religious vocations (including protestant, evangelical, buddhist, muslim, and jewish, etc.), I would guess it is related to our consumer driven capitalist society. Why do unto others, when you can do for yourself?

Just a guess.

Maybe it has more to do with being disillusioned with organized religion, a desire to find one's own path, and the spread of less traditional religious ideas.

I for one feel called to a religious vocation, but have issues with organized religion. Indeed, with telling anyone what they should or should not believe.

Asynchronicity
Spiritual Counselor
http://gnosticgnight.blogspot.com/
07-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Both are a factor.

Some people disagree with the practices of the Catholic church or with organized religion in general. They find this to be hypocritical or even dangerous to the public. Some followers of Jesus find the Catholic and Protestant church to have many traditions that they feel are Pagan in nature - as such they can not support someone entering into a vocation that they feel mocks God.

Many people feel that celibacy is a factor in the child abuse that exists within the church so won't support anyone dedicating their lives to it. Many people that have experienced the joy of romantic love do not want any of their loved ones to go without that same happiness. Others feel that celibacy should be a personal choice not an obligation pushed on to clergy.

Weather or not I agree with these people I can certainly understand their concerns.
07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I've read that the child abuse rate among preists is the same as in the general public so the celibacy must not be a factor in that. The reason it became such a big deal was that the church made the mistake of trying to cover it up.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
07-08-2008, 08:31 PM
God Rocks Wrote:I've read that the child abuse rate among preists is the same as in the general public so the celibacy must not be a factor in that. The reason it became such a big deal was that the church made the mistake of trying to cover it up.

God Rocks, I think your right. However the non-RCC public perception of the Catholic Church, child abuse & celibacy may be very different from the truth and therefore is still a factor in people not supporting the RCC or supporting someone entering into the priesthood.
11-01-2008, 09:30 PM
you dont thing that the child abuse also was highlighted becaused of the high moral standards catholic priests confess to
events like this put a very bad light on any relgion that professes kindness and decency

my atheism is just like your religion
only i subtract 1 one more god
11-23-2008, 05:41 PM
The reason why our society thinks celebacy is so strange is the result of those boomers who came out of the sexual revolution of the 60's and 70's now have children of their own. They also have on their side a media which is largely secular-progressive and which supports the
loose, permissive, "hook-up" attitude of sexuality.

Since Humane Vitae was released in the 60's the Church has had problems, from within and without, in getting people to understand the
"why" behind their positions. The media in turn spins and twists Church teaching in order to make the Church look like what they want it to look like: backwards, ignorant, unenlightened, denegrating to women's & gay's "rights", etc., etc.

There were some men who were given Holy Orders back in those days who should not have received it. However widespread the media wants you to believe the scandal is in fact it's not. There have only been a handful of men who have actually been convicted of sexual abuse. Most of the other claims have been proven false-you won't hear that in the news.

The failure of these few men is not a failure of the law of Clergical celebacy but it is a failure of will on the part of those who are guilty of the sexual conduct.

There are those who argue that allowing the clergy to marry will help improve the ranks of the clergy. But to look at the broader picture on this issue is to understand the nature of the Enemy in which the Church fights with on a daily basis.

Let's imagine the Church allows it's clergy to marry. If you were the sworn enemy of such men what would be your first instinct in conducting your warfare? Would you not go after that man's family? What better way to distract him from his duties to God than to create disorder at home? Do you see my point?

On the subject of women priests. It is simple. God, purely speaking, may be without gender, but Jesus was a man. The action of the Mass is the action of Jesus to God the Father. The priest acts in persona christi-Latin for in the person of Christ. Of the twelve gathered around Jesus at the Last Supper, none of them were women. It's not that Jesus didn't have good women to choose from, there were good holy women who were devout deciples. But Jesus didn't choose them, just these twelve men. And He gave His authority to these twelve men in order to give to other proven men. It is not a denegration of women to exclude them from the priesthood. The priesthood is not something one desires and grasps for. The priesthood is something one is called for. For a woman to believe that she "deserves" to be a priest in order to be "equal" to men is to misunderstand her womanhood. Women are equal in dignity to men in all respects. That does not mean women should resort to acting like men in order to acheive and end they desire for themselves. Jesus ordered the priesthood for men. To go against this is to go against God, which the Church will dare not do just for the sake of some false liberal feminist ideal.

I would love to see the evidence where the Church has "discriminated" against gays.

The fact of the matter is that the Church has always taught that people, even homosexuals, are entitled to the dignity that every human deserves. What they reject is the approval of gay marriage or the approval of homosexual acts. Secular law is equipped in providing a gay couple with the means to be recognized by health organizations as a "partner" in order to be able to sit at their bedside.

To redifine marriage as something other than between a man and a woman is not something that the constitution can do, neither is the definition subject to human whims. It is a sacrament-a sacred sign pointing to a supernatural reality-instituted by God and thus cannot be changed. The constitution, by design of the Founding Fathers, was not now, nor ever, a document which "gives" rights to people. The Constitution doesn't give rights, it confirms rights that we as human beings already have. It doesn't tell the people what they can do, it is designed to tell the government what it can't do.

The ranks of the priesthood depend on God. He must call those to the priesthood and those whom He calls must be open to hearing His call. In that I pray.Praying

It is the hearts and minds of American families which must be changed away from this idea that celebacy is bad and that married or even non-married love is the only path to personal fulfillment. We must first reinstill the value and indissoluability of marriage. The result of allowing divorce in this country has made the institution of marriage a joke. Once that broke down everything else became negotiable. Contraception, while it intended to free up marriage by allowing the couple to engage in sex without conceiving, had the opposite negative effect of slimming down the risk of getting caught while engaging in adultery. This negative contraceptive mentality had the effect of increasing divorces, not lessening them.

Once marriage is again made sacred and indissoluable, that is when the true dignity of partnership between man and woman will be restored and the attitudes of ther children will begin to change about marriage. More will begin to see in the sacred sign of marriage the communion of God and humanity. And those children will then be more open to the Master's call.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing..."-Darth Vader

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)