Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Religous Heavy Metal Bands!
11-07-2009, 02:08 AM
Religous Heavy Metal Bands!
I just thought there should be a thread to talk about Religous Heavy Metal bands.

I would love to listen to some, but I don't know of that many, so if you know of any Metal songs that are Religous in nature than I will go listen to it later.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2009, 07:08 AM
RE: Religous Heavy Metal Bands!
Stryper were (are?) a Christian metal band from the '80s. Creed were Christians too, but they were rubbish.

Going the other way, you have satanic Norwegian bands like Mayhem or Burzum.

Difficult to track stuff down by, but Eight Hands for Kali were religious themed.

I'm sure there are more, but I've only just woken up...
11-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I am so tempted to link deicide! But I wont. I think Megadeath went Christian didn't they? Well, Dave Mustaine did...but I don't think they deal with religion in a lot of their songs, or at all...but i don't know really. There is Mercuful Fate, but they are not Christian, still can be religious though...other religions.

The person that is truly happy is not the one who gets everything they want, but the one who learns to be happy with what they have.
11-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah, Mustaine is a born again Christian, but I'm not aware the lyrics went that way.

*Slaps wrist for forgetting Deicide*
09-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Honestly Religious heavy metal bands sucks

666, The number of the beast
666, The one for you and me
09-26-2010, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2010 08:03 AM by Painkiller.)
Not all of them do, JD. Place Of Skulls are openly Christian (their website use to have Gospel passages in the "News" section) and play fantastic, authentic old-school Doom. Horde were better than you might expect, though most of their appeal came from just how much they wound up the kvltists.

Tom Araya's Catholicism is well know these days, and creeps into Slayer's music more than you might think (Silent Scream is pure Christian pro-life propaganda, as well as being a brilliant song).

Stepping outside Christianity there are some great bands that draw on elements of other traditions (Melechesh with pre-Abrahamic middle-eastern faiths, Rudra with Brahmanism, Cynic's first album for classical Buddhism), but they mostly seem to use the religion as a theme rather than actively preach it.

I post regularly on a Metal forum that Zagreus also wastes far too much time on, and the question of Christian Metal comes up fairly regularly on there. The default reaction amongst Metallers seems to be that the God Squad miss the point (which isn't helped by the new wave of irritating Christian Metalcore and Deathcore bands), but there are enough examples of it being done well for me to disagree with that position.
Also Virgin Steele, who I love far too much and am delighted to have another forum to rant about them on, are interesting in this. Not linked to any mainstream religion, but David deFeis seems to have spent the last fifteen years building up his own "special" belief system about mankind being the descendants of a race pre-divine beings who were displaced and oppressed by the Tyrannical chauvinist Gods who hate women. The liner-notes of their last album Visions Of Eden mostly consisted of him ranting about how Goddess worship was deposed by the oppressive heavenly oligarchy and ending eveyr sentence with six exclamation marks.

Finally, he won't bring them up himself because he's all shy, bless him, but Zag is in a fantastic (if not exactly prolific) slow Doom band with strong religious themes. If you want to hear a man quoting Deuteronomy in a spooky voice while a single power chord lasts for about ten minutes, look no further.
09-27-2010, 01:16 PM
(09-26-2010 07:58 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  Finally, he won't bring them up himself because he's all shy, bless him, but Zag is in a fantastic (if not exactly prolific) slow Doom band with strong religious themes. If you want to hear a man quoting Deuteronomy in a spooky voice while a single power chord lasts for about ten minutes, look no further.

Haha! Actually my sig used to be a link to the band's website; I only deleted it when I became a mod and started banning anyone who even thought about advert sigs!

It's mostly Leviticus on that track too, I think. Wait 'til you hear End of Days. I managed most of Revelations in that one!
09-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah sorry, that last post of mine was complete rubbish. I said that you made a chord last for ten minutes as well - presumably that's an intro or one of your pop hits.
12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Trouble, who are better than Place Of Skulls.
12-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Obviously they are better, but the Christian element always seemed more like garnish with them, whereas PoS clearly use their music to evangalise and spread a message.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)