Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Removing Oneself from the count of Catholics
07-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Removing Oneself from the count of Catholics
I have a question for anyone out there who can help me out. I was baptized a Catholic when I was a child, but I no longer wish to be affiliated with the Catholic faith. I am 27 now and have not considered myself a Catholic since I was about 14. I am agnostic now, I admit that I do not and likely cannot know what is out there, and I believe that it is better for people to form their own opinions on religion rather than follow an organized group like Catholicism. I have heard Catholic people claim that 1.2 billion people world wide are Catholic and I assume that I am counted in that number. I would prefer if they did not use me when they count those totals, so I would like to know if anyone knows how I can remove myself from that list?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2013, 05:54 PM
RE: Removing Oneself from the count of Catholics
maybe send an e-mail to the pope

Click Here to know more about Islam
07-22-2013, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2013 06:43 PM by Yefet.)
Ha Ha Ha, Kay
I bet he keeps that list in his right desk drawer right next to last sundays no show list and his Pepto-Bismol
In Catholicism is there such a detailed list or would it just be questsimations ? So now its 1,199,999,999, that is if no one died or was born by the time this was posted
07-22-2013, 07:17 PM
It's very simple, actually. You just stop calling yourself a Catholic, and when the next census comes around you don't mark "Catholic." Or send a letter to your bishop.

Or if you're feeling really outgoing, go to the Vatican and do something to get ostracized.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2013, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2013 07:38 PM by Yefet.)
It takes a long time to get over the feeling of belonging to a certain religion
I understand what the op is feeling, and is just looking for some official or final way of confirming that they no longer are a member
it just takes time, there is no official release form that I know of, anyway.
07-22-2013, 08:13 PM
(07-22-2013 05:44 PM)iReallyDontKnow Wrote:  I have a question for anyone out there who can help me out. I was baptized a Catholic when I was a child, but I no longer wish to be affiliated with the Catholic faith. I am 27 now and have not considered myself a Catholic since I was about 14. I am agnostic now, I admit that I do not and likely cannot know what is out there, and I believe that it is better for people to form their own opinions on religion rather than follow an organized group like Catholicism. I have heard Catholic people claim that 1.2 billion people world wide are Catholic and I assume that I am counted in that number. I would prefer if they did not use me when they count those totals, so I would like to know if anyone knows how I can remove myself from that list?

Do you know where you were baptized as a Catholic?_______
If you know the parish, write that priest and request that all your records be removed.

My concern is that if you create a spiritual void without something to fill that void, then what ?
We are created with a need for guidance. -Psalm 119 v 105
I do realize church traditions or customs outside of Scripture are being taught as though they are Scripture and that is wrong, but wrong teachings about Scripture does not make the Bible wrong, but makes the wrong teachings as wrong. I hope you won't be giving up on the Bible.
07-23-2013, 02:53 AM
(07-22-2013 06:39 PM)Yefet Wrote:  Ha Ha Ha, Kay
I bet he keeps that list in his right desk drawer right next to last sundays no show list and his Pepto-Bismol
In Catholicism is there such a detailed list or would it just be questsimations ? So now its 1,199,999,999, that is if no one died or was born by the time this was posted

I heard he is keeping them on excel sheet for an easy access

07-23-2013, 09:27 AM
(07-22-2013 08:13 PM)URAVIP2ME Wrote:  Do you know where you were baptized as a Catholic?_______
If you know the parish, write that priest and request that all your records be removed.

My concern is that if you create a spiritual void without something to fill that void, then what ?
We are created with a need for guidance. -Psalm 119 v 105
I do realize church traditions or customs outside of Scripture are being taught as though they are Scripture and that is wrong, but wrong teachings about Scripture does not make the Bible wrong, but makes the wrong teachings as wrong. I hope you won't be giving up on the Bible.

Thanks for the advice. I do know the parish, so I will write a letter and see where that takes me. I also appreciate your concern for my spirituality, however I do not have a spiritual void. I do a lot of reading and research on various religions and I am very happy with what I believe. Regarding the bible, I do not believe that it is the word of any God and I don't believe that I need to follow what it says to be a good person. There are many inspirational stories in the bible, as well as in many other books and I have learned lessons about life from them, but I don't need to live my life based on a book.

To some of the other comments, I am not a Catholic already and I do not call myself one. I just want to be sure that when Catholics are preaching to the world that there are 1.2 billion Catholics, in an attempt to lure in new members, that I am not a part of that count. Yes it is insignificant to the total count, but it means a lot to me to know that I am not counted as a part of that list. Maybe I am no longer on that list, but I do not know whether they count members based on baptism records or based on something else, so I just want to be sure.
07-23-2013, 10:13 AM
(07-23-2013 09:27 AM)iReallyDontKnow Wrote:  I don't need to live my life based on a book.
How do you want God to communicate with you?

(07-23-2013 09:27 AM)iReallyDontKnow Wrote:  it is insignificant to the total count,
No, it is not insignificant if every person who feels the same way does this, I am sure the number is huge

Quote:
Have you read about Islam?

07-23-2013, 11:07 AM
The OP is a joke, right?

Please tell me it's a joke...

Just in case it isn't, though (I've been on this place too long to really think otherwise): IRDK - statistics about members of each religion around the world are approximations only, are based on census polls and a variety of different sources, and do not pretend to offer precise numbers of individuals. No-one is keeping a running figure somewhere that goes up and down every someone is baptised, buried or converted. If you want to stop being Catholic then simply STOP BEING CATHOLIC, and don't worry about whether you are individually reflected in an approximate figure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Questions to Catholics 178Kristy 4 91 01-09-2018 04:36 PM
Last Post: Satyros
  Why come the Catholics do not believe in the rapture? jetson 9 1,253 05-27-2015 05:00 PM
Last Post: Teilhard
  Does God do Satan’s work in removing our free choice? Greatest I am 30 4,525 05-10-2012 08:04 AM
Last Post: URAVIP2ME
  Head count thomasj6299 4 764 03-21-2012 12:52 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
  What’s with Protestants and Catholics and their hate of knowledge? Greatest I am 0 355 01-20-2012 11:19 AM
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Question to Catholics About Gabriele Amorth Secular Hobbit 2 663 03-30-2010 10:39 AM
Last Post: Secular Hobbit

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)