Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Resources and such?
05-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Resources and such?
Hi. I've always felt a connection to Judaism, even though my family is atheist. Really, even before I knew what it was. I'm in my twenties now, and I'm starting the road to conversion. I go to a conservative synagogue in my area (or half an hour away) and my rabbi has been letting me borrow books to study -- but I read very fast, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of books to read, documenteries to watch, or anything like that.

I'd really appreciate it!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2011, 11:55 AM
RE: Resources and such?
Trust your Rabbi,Or find another, There are so many manydifferant things out here that could lead you to confusion
If you feel you need more tell him, If you dont like his methods, find another, but adding something to a planned study can cause problems.
05-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Okay. It's just I end up finishing the books before I get to synagogue the next week. I guess I'm just one of those people who once tey know something tey always want to know more and don't want to take a break.

I guess I'll just have to learn patience. Thank you.
05-15-2011, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2011 01:24 PM by Yefet.)
Its only natural to want to go,go,go,
there are many sites where you can study weekly Parshah, like this weeks Parshah Bechukotai Leviticus 26:3-27:34
Ask your Rabbi if there is one that fits your community,requirements for conversion can vary.
The main thing to remember is conversion is process of evolution, not revolution .It is a change in your way of life.
Not just the way you worship
Just out of curiosity,why do you feel the need to convert?
It’s a long hard process and as you can see by some of the post not the most popular thing in the world to be.The real world outside of this forum is much worse, Who needs such troubles?
You can be a spiritual person without conversion
If you don’t want to answer I understand, Its very personal but it is something I am sure you thought about.
05-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Quote:Its only natural to want to go,go,go,

Oh, good, it's not just me then. Smile I really feel bad bothering my Rabbi because I am generally a very shy/passive person, and he is nice enough to let me borrow his books -- but I read about 700/750 words a minute wen I'm interested in something, so I end up finishing waaay before shul the next week.

Quote:Just out of curiosity,why do you feel the need to convert?

I can explain it, but you may not understand it. I tried to explain it to my parents and my mother just thinks I'm turning into someone weak and fearful.

Have you ever felt...out of place? Like you just didn't quite fit? Like you hear everything everyone around you is saying, but you don't come to the same conclusion, or you laugh at a joke, but you laugh a little to loud or a little to slow? Like when you do a puzzle, and someone smashes a piece that looks right into a spot where it doesn't feel like it's supposed to go?

When I started learning about Judaism, in college, it felt like finding the right spot. Like coming home after spending a year away. And it's not just that I needed religion in my life -- I learned about Christianity and Islam too, and none of them felt like that -- like finding a friend you didn't know you had. I found all the other religions interesting from a purely intellectual level -- how they affected history and such, but it wasn't the same.

Quote:You can be a spiritual person without conversion

When I first whent to synagogue -- not he one I go to now, the one near my college, they explained the Noahide laws, and I understand that. Really, I do. But if I really believe something is right, and I do...I'm not one to play my cards close to my chest and hedge my bets.

Quote:It’s a long hard process and as you can see by some of the post not the most popular thing in the world to be.The real world outside of this forum is much worse, Who needs such troubles?

This is almost the same thing a former friend of mine told me when I dated an African-American in high school -- the real world isn't igh school, dating a black guy will make some white people and black people hate you. I didn't let that sway me either. To me, it feels like -- and this may sound ridiculous, but it feels like God found me, like he moved the puzzle piece into the right spot -- what's right isn't always easy, and can I really turn from something if everything in me seems to suggest it's the right path?
05-15-2011, 03:52 PM
I have had my problems within my community, Politics, interpretation of halakhah
And so forth. But I have always felt a Jew is A Jew, Regardless of community, You know it or you don’t.
Conversion generally will result from several motivations, that’s why I asked.
There are a number of halakhically valid reasons But none as good as conviction,You just know ,I like your line about finding a friend you didn't know you had
Thanks for answering
05-16-2011, 11:35 AM
May I ask what motivations are valid? Out of pure curiosity?
05-20-2011, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2011 04:06 PM by Yefet.)
The only halakhic requirement that should be accepted is for the sake of Heaven or conviction
But more and more today Rabbi's know if it is possible for someone to move from accommodation,like marriage and so forth , to conviction
Thats why they are very intrested in motivations. I once had a person tell me that the only reason she wanted to covert is because she thought she had a hook nose and looked Jewish, Not exactly the right reason.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)