Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rev. Elwood Morris Wherry acknowledging the beuty of Unity of God in Islam
03-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Rev. Elwood Morris Wherry acknowledging the beuty of Unity of God in Islam
Rev. Elwood Morris Wherry (1843- 1927) was an American Presbyterian missionary to India who wrote a number of books. He wrote:

A few passages, like the oases in the deserts of Arabia, stand out as truly beautiful both in their setting and in their thought. Take the first chapter, the Fatihat:

" In the name of God, the compassionate, the merciful. Praise be to God, Lord of all the worlds! The compassionate, the merciful! King on the Day of Judgment! Thee do we worship, and to thee do we cry for help! Guide then us in the right way! The path of those to whom thou art gracious! Not of those with whom thou art angered, nor of those who go astray."

The celebrated throne verse in Chap. II., 255, is as follows: "God! there is no God but he; the living, the self-subsisting: neither slumber nor sleep seizeth him; to him belongeth whatsoever is in heaven and on earth. Who is he that can intercede with him, but through his good pleasure? He knoweth that which is past, and that which is to come unto them, and they shall not comprehend anything of his knowledge, but so far as he pleaseth. His throne is extended over heaven and earth, and the preservation of both is no burden unto him. He is high, the Mighty."

The question is often asked why a book of such singular composition should hold such sway over the millions of the Moslem world. In reply two reasons may be given: first, the beautiful rhythm, and often sweet cadences of the original language, which like some enchanting song hold multitudes with rapt attention who understand scarcely a word they hear; secondly, there is a vast amount of truth contained in the book, especially the truth of the divine unity and of man's dependence upon God, as seen in the throne verse just now quoted.

Islam and Christianity in India and the Far East By Elwood Morris Wherry. Fleming H Revell Company, 1907. Page 25-26.

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2010, 09:30 PM
RE: Rev. Elwood Morris Wherry acknowledging the beuty of Unity of God in Islam
(03-14-2010 05:26 PM)Ahmadi Wrote:  Rev. Elwood Morris Wherry (1843- 1927) was an American Presbyterian missionary to India who wrote a number of books. He wrote:

A few passages, like the oases in the deserts of Arabia, stand out as truly beautiful both in their setting and in their thought. Take the first chapter, the Fatihat:

" In the name of God, the compassionate, the merciful. Praise be to God, Lord of all the worlds! The compassionate, the merciful! King on the Day of Judgment! Thee do we worship, and to thee do we cry for help! Guide then us in the right way! The path of those to whom thou art gracious! Not of those with whom thou art angered, nor of those who go astray."

The celebrated throne verse in Chap. II., 255, is as follows: "God! there is no God but he; the living, the self-subsisting: neither slumber nor sleep seizeth him; to him belongeth whatsoever is in heaven and on earth. Who is he that can intercede with him, but through his good pleasure? He knoweth that which is past, and that which is to come unto them, and they shall not comprehend anything of his knowledge, but so far as he pleaseth. His throne is extended over heaven and earth, and the preservation of both is no burden unto him. He is high, the Mighty."

The question is often asked why a book of such singular composition should hold such sway over the millions of the Moslem world. In reply two reasons may be given: first, the beautiful rhythm, and often sweet cadences of the original language, which like some enchanting song hold multitudes with rapt attention who understand scarcely a word they hear; secondly, there is a vast amount of truth contained in the book, especially the truth of the divine unity and of man's dependence upon God, as seen in the throne verse just now quoted.

Islam and Christianity in India and the Far East By Elwood Morris Wherry. Fleming H Revell Company, 1907. Page 25-26.

Christian ministers can do the strangest things. Why Ahmadi has even found a few who like Islam, unlike the great majority of Christians in Western nations, and certainly unlike the majority of Christians in Africa or the Middle East which have great reason to dislike Islam. Read today's news, Ahmadi, about Egyptian Muslims again attacking Coptic Christians. You are still trying to sell your poorly made Fiat/Yugo of a religion to Western Christians used to riding in their Cadillac/Mercedes religion. Try selling used cars...maybe the buyers won't see your sales fibs as easily..
03-14-2010, 09:37 PM
(03-14-2010 11:42 AM)TheCatholic Wrote:  Read today's news, Ahmadi, about Egyptian Muslims again attacking Coptic Christians.

Please provide the links. Ever since I have read about the Gospel of Thomas I like the Coptic Christians more than the Trinitarian Christians. So, any thing I can do with my pen to prevent the violence be it from the Muslims or the Christians.

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
03-15-2010, 06:11 AM
(03-14-2010 09:37 PM)Ahmadi Wrote:  
(03-14-2010 11:42 AM)TheCatholic Wrote:  Read today's news, Ahmadi, about Egyptian Muslims again attacking Coptic Christians.

Please provide the links. Ever since I have read about the Gospel of Thomas I like the Coptic Christians more than the Trinitarian Christians. So, any thing I can do with my pen to prevent the violence be it from the Muslims or the Christians.

Egyptian Muslims attack Coptic Christians.

Ahmadi, please don't pretend Muslims like Christians. We Christians know this to be a lie because where Muslims have political power Muslims have and will attack Christians. Egypt, Iraq, Malaysia, Sudan, Nigeria..You Muslims follow a warlord's religion and are aggressive and violent towards non-Muslims wherever Muslims and Islam dominate a country's politics.
03-15-2010, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2010 05:58 PM by Ahmadi.)
I genuinely believe in a pluralistic society. Scores of times I have quoted verses from Sura Hajj that defensive warfare in Islam is to defend places of worship including churches and synagogues. I fully condemn this attack on the Coptic Christians who are my Abrahamic cousins. I suggest that the Muslim preacher should be charged with hate crimes!

According to Islam anyone who takes an innocent life is as if he or she is perpetrating a holocaust.

In our global village we have to genuinely begin to respect all humans and isolate the hate mongers among us or some day we will destroy the planet or make our species extinct.

03-15-2010, 09:29 PM
(03-15-2010 05:55 PM)Ahmadi Wrote:  I genuinely believe in a pluralistic society. Scores of times I have quoted verses from Sura Hajj that defensive warfare in Islam is to defend places of worship including churches and synagogues. I fully condemn this attack on the Coptic Christians who are my Abrahamic cousins. I suggest that the Muslim preacher should be charged with hate crimes!

According to Islam anyone who takes an innocent life is as if he or she is perpetrating a holocaust.

In our global village we have to genuinely begin to respect all humans and isolate the hate mongers among us or some day we will destroy the planet or make our species extinct.

Then we'll be seeing you in Cairo marching in protest against your Muslim brothers who committed these acts, Ahmadi?
03-17-2010, 07:12 PM
I do not have to fly that far unless I was visiting pyramids, but I have clearly voiced my opinion here and continue to do that. Ahmadiyya Muslim Community itself, at times, is at the receiving end of violence from other Muslims that have inherited their mentality from medieval Islam, from the time of crusades. Orthodox or original Islam at the time of the Prophet Muhammad and his early followers and what is preached by Ahmadiyya Muslim Community now fully upholds the prinicples of religious tolerance, as I have mentioned several times before.

03-17-2010, 10:40 PM
(03-17-2010 07:12 PM)Ahmadi Wrote:  I do not have to fly that far unless I was visiting pyramids, but I have clearly voiced my opinion here and continue to do that. Ahmadiyya Muslim Community itself, at times, is at the receiving end of violence from other Muslims that have inherited their mentality from medieval Islam, from the time of crusades. Orthodox or original Islam at the time of the Prophet Muhammad and his early followers and what is preached by Ahmadiyya Muslim Community now fully upholds the prinicples of religious tolerance, as I have mentioned several times before.

How can you make a difference between the religious intolerance of Muhammad and modern Muslims clones who are equally intolerant as the persecution of even peaceful Muslims so amply demonstrates. You do know that Muhammad was intolerant of other religious beliefs, don't you? Or have you forgotten how Meccans worshiped at the Qabaa before Muhammad and his men destroyed their religious worship for the past 1400 years. A real shame that you being taught as a Muslim to associate pre-Islamic Mecca with the same sorts of religious warfare notions of an evil enemy that the Jews branded their religious competitors with because in fact, pre-Islamic Mecca was your ecumenical worship site where believers of all different faiths could each find their own deities and practices honored by others not even of their faith.
03-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Kaaba was the first house build for the worship of One God by the prophet Adam and was renovated by the Prophet Abraham and Ishmael so monotheists were the only true claimant for this. This was the only situation where Muhammad, may peace be upon him, pressed his and Muslims's right. Other than the Kaaba the Pagans were free to follow their religion. India is a Hindu majority country 1000 years after Muslim rule there. Only way they could come in opposition was by politcally revolt against the Government. It was not much different from how most Governments will suppress any separatist movements today.

03-18-2010, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2010 09:35 AM by Stereophonic.)
(03-18-2010 09:29 AM)Ahmadi Wrote:  Kaaba was the first house build for the worship of One God by the prophet Adam and was renovated by the Prophet Abraham and Ishmael...

And of course there is not the slightest shread of historical evidence for these claims...it's all a complete fiction.

But Jewish people do have a historical claim to Israel and Jerusalem, as I'm sure you would agree...

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  NOT THREE HEADS--UNITY--NO TRINITY Sheila 9 1,368 01-30-2012 02:54 PM
Last Post: Grandson
Question Ancient Near East Imagery in the Book of Rev. (the B*E*A*S*T) : lastmikvehlastDay 22 4,325 06-20-2010 05:40 PM
Last Post: lastmikvehlastDay
  Unity of Religions dattaswami1 0 486 03-04-2009 09:31 PM
Last Post: dattaswami1
Exclamation Antichrist & Babylon of Rev.13,17-18 explain most history & 9/11 godislove 11 2,971 12-15-2008 12:32 PM
Last Post: godislove

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)