Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Satan Plan for humans
07-19-2017, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 02:42 AM by PeterPants.)
RE: Satan Plan for humans
That abso-posi-tutely was not an ad hominem attack Herm. Nor do i see the problem with pointing out what she considers a vile idea . Even if we dissagree with her.

~~~

when we enter a discussion on matters of discordance, we should search for truth not victory, In this manner we always win, there are no losers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2017, 03:51 AM
(07-19-2017 02:41 AM)PeterPants Wrote:  That abso-posi-tutely was not an ad hominem attack Herm. Nor do i see the problem with pointing out what she considers a vile idea . Even if we dissagree with her.

Saying that what someone thinks and writes is "sickening" imo comes very close to, if not actually is ad hominem - it's attacking a person for the ideas they have.

I guess that's also the reason a mod asked her to put a sock in it Wink

I therefore think "abso-posi-tutely" is not appropriate in this case.

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it
07-19-2017, 04:58 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 05:09 AM by PeterPants.)
Umm... An ad hominem is an attack against the person used to argue that their ideas are wrong. ie a logical fallacy.
Attacking someones ideas is explicitely not a personal attack

But the thing i wanted to say was that sue didnt really do anything wrong here.. She didnt insult anyone as a means of demeaning or offending, she didnt lie, she didnt insight violence or hatred, she didnt even make a faulty logical argument in this particular instance. I think you and vis are going to far and blocking someone from expressing their opinion when they havent done the things you acuse them of.

Even if you take the 'weak' meaning of ad hominem (against the man) to mean any argument against a person. Attacking someones ideas is NOT an ad hominem, not a personal attack.

Am i wrong?

~~~

when we enter a discussion on matters of discordance, we should search for truth not victory, In this manner we always win, there are no losers.
07-19-2017, 06:34 AM
(07-19-2017 04:58 AM)PeterPants Wrote:  Umm... An ad hominem is an attack against the person used to argue that their ideas are wrong. ie a logical fallacy.

Thanks for that definition - after 15 years on various forums this is new to me Rolleyes

(07-19-2017 04:58 AM)PeterPants Wrote:  Even if you take the 'weak' meaning of ad hominem (against the man) to mean any argument against a person. Attacking someones ideas is NOT an ad hominem, not a personal attack.

Am i wrong?

I think it's weak ad hominem, as did the mod, and I agree that's dependent on how strict we want to apply rules for "ad hominem".

You either argue someone's ideas ("your statement is nonsense"), or you argue their person ("That which you 'spout' is so much nonsense it's sickening"). The latter bit imo partly applies to Susan, and not mainly to hear ideas.

07-19-2017, 07:07 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 07:07 AM by PeterPants.)
I really dont see how the latter is an attack on the person. It seemslto me like a very clear statement of disgust at an idea, not the person.

You really think it is a personal attack?

~~~

07-19-2017, 10:49 AM
(07-19-2017 02:38 AM)Herminator Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 05:51 PM)Sue D. Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 01:12 PM)susanblange Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 11:33 AM)Caesar Saladin Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 07:53 PM)susanblange Wrote:  If you do not forgive God, then God cannot forgive you.

Cannot- or WILL not?

Besides, if someone presumes to sit in judgement of God to forgive or not forgive him/her/it of something- anything- then we're on a whole different playing field.

God is human but she is also going to Heaven no matter what. Forgiving or not forgiving God will not affect God's destiny. It will affect the destiny of the sinner. If you do not forgive God, I would venture to say that you hate him. That is deadly. Proverbs 8:36. "But he who sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death".

susanblange -- all that you have just shared is NOT according to KJV or any other version of the Bible / God's Word. It's NOT Scripture.

Wrong: it's not the same as your interpretation of scripture - you act like you have a monopoly on the right interpretation. A few billion Christians don't agree with you.

(07-18-2017 05:51 PM)Sue D. Wrote:  That which you 'spout' is so much nonsense it's sickening.

Ad hominem like this gets you banned quickly - keep it going Rolleyes

Proverbs 3:5. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding".
07-19-2017, 11:01 AM
(07-19-2017 07:07 AM)PeterPants Wrote:  I really dont see how the latter is an attack on the person. It seemslto me like a very clear statement of disgust at an idea, not the person.

You really think it is a personal attack?

like I said, it's borderline, depending on how narrow one wants to use the definition. See my last sentence in the previous post.

07-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Visqueen and I have had a conversation via PM's re: susanblange -- and my comment and some other things. So -- that has been cleared up.

@ PeterPants -- you're correct -- it was the idea // not the person.

Proverbs 3:5 the next verse is "In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path." Two great verses.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)