Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scariest encounter you've had over religion?
01-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Scariest encounter you've had over religion?
This is just a thread, because in another thread we were discussing the tendency of people to judge by a group of people, or by our own experience -- so, I thought I'd throw this down.

What's the scariest encounter you've had with someone over religion? What happened? Do you get touchy around people of that faith through this experience? I'm going to run out and pick up my fiance, but after that, I will share mine, so I'm not dodging the question.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2010, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2010 11:16 PM by GTseng3.)
RE: Scariest encounter you've had over religion?
Hmmm. See, that's hard for me. Objectively I can think of many moments that, now, seem very scary. But at the time I was a fundamentalist Christian, and they just seemed normal (case in point: Bill Gotherd's Advanced Training Institute. My family were members of that homeschooling curriculum for years. We went to the seminar every year. When I think about it now, the seminars were little more than cultic brainwashing sessions, but I was in the cult at the time so it didn't seem weird.)

I think the moment I first realized just how scary the religious were was when I was attending Bob Jones University. They had brought in the New York Gilbert & Sullivan players to perform "The Mikado." Despite a certain amount of racism (which I tend not to count since the operetta was mocking English politics, not Japanese politics, and it was never supposed to be a realistic portrayal of the Japanese,) it's a remarkably funny show. So we were in the huge Founders Memorial Amphitheater, watching the Mikado. There's a certain song, "A Little List," which every modern company changes because in the original version it used some racial slurs, and beyond that made fun of stereotypes which simply don't exist anymore. So pretty much everyone changes the lyrics to make fun of modern stereotypes instead.

This was in the year 2000, during the Bush/Gore election. So they threw in a verse, making fun of fanatics (like, at the time, us,) who supported George Bush. The lyrics were hilarious, even though I was part of the group they were making fun of. I laughed.

No one else laughed. I was in this huge auditorium (and the FMA is really, really huge,) with a packed crowd. And no one else laughed. There was an air of tension in the house that you could cut with a knife.

The next verse made fun of the same people who supported Gore. As if on cue, the entire auditorium burst out into riotous, uncontrolled laughter. The line was funny, and deserving of laughter. But after the previous verse's universal silence, it was like being surrounded by automatons, by zombies who laughed because something in their head told them it was time to laugh. And the worst part was a very real sense that they were not laughing at the rather funny lyrics, but instead they were laughing simply because someone had made a joke about Al Gore. And you laughed at jokes about Al Gore at Bob Jones University.

That's the first time I can recall being clearly frightened of the religious. It may seem like a little thing to you, but for me, being in the cult, in the crazy, it was like waking up to find that your lover was actually made of countless wriggling spiders. You have no idea how you never noticed it before, and you just want to get away as quickly as possible.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Oh, BJU...*sigh* I almost went there.

It's hard picking just one, to be honest. The aftermath of my rape comes to mind, when my teachers started saying that I had to marry whichever it was of the rapists who had gotten me pregnant, but I think I was honestly too young to understand the suggestion, so it seems less scary.

I think the thing that scared me the most at the time was when I had gone to a neighbor's farm to help some bleeding stop on a cow that had been de-horned, because they couldn't get it to stop, and after the farmer was taking the cow back to it's pen, the farm hand came flying at me, called me devil's spawn, and got me hard in the jaw.

The farmer stopped him from doing anything else, but at the time, it really scared me, especially since the farm was literally right across the street from my house.
01-17-2010, 08:52 AM
did you marry that person? . why did the farm hand attack you? . sounds like you live in a inbred backward thinking community . where do you come from ?
01-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Backward thinking? Yes. But that's more common than you think. Sarah Palin had her preacher call down god's power to prevent witches from interfering with her political campaign. Accusations of witchcraft, sorcery, satanism, etc. don't really carry any legal weight in most nations anymore, but they still happen and get people riled up.

Religion is an insidious influence.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-17-2010, 08:39 PM
(01-17-2010 08:52 AM)hillbilly Wrote:  did you marry that person? . why did the farm hand attack you? . sounds like you live in a inbred backward thinking community . where do you come from ?

No, I was twelve at the time, and it was too horrific to even think of doing.

The farm hand attacked me because I am a pagan who practises witchcraft, though he didn't know the pagan part.

And no, unfortunately, my community is not inbred, though backward thinking yes. I live near Philadelphia.
01-17-2010, 11:26 PM
I did say I'd talk about mine. I have two actually.

1. This is the most recent. It's actually why I moved. One day we had a knock on a door and it was a missionary from one of the local churches. Being me, and always up to discuss religion, I invited him in, as I always did with missionaries, and got some tea, and we sat down to discuss religion. When he found out my faith, he "freaked" and after trying to save me did not work, he ran away.

Over the next few days, the phone calls started, from him and his pastor, we had ou number changed. Then the rumours started that I was sacrificing my puppies and the wolves we keep. I ignored it.

Then the alarm went off, and we called the cops, they found nothing. The next night, there was a dead cat outside, with a barbed wire cross pinning it down. The necropsy determined it was alive when it was basically "sacrificed" on my doorstep.

So, we ended up quitting our jobs, leaving behind everything we had, and moving across the country and starting again. Let me tell you, it was terrifying.

2. Second is my Muslim encounter. We were excavating (well, I wasn't, being not an archeologist, I was along as a historian, but the group was there to excavate) the women involved, had all been forced to wear burkas and head coverings, and on the third day, soldiers or whatever they were, rode by in jeeps and asked if we were all Muslims or People of the Book, while brandishing rifles.

I honestly thought I was going to get shot. The leader assured them we all were, and they moved on after making sure we were acting "appropriately."

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
01-18-2010, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2010 08:49 AM by hillbilly.)
aingeal , did you get any help from the community or anybody else . so did the person go to prision . did you have the child .
clementine what is your faith and where were you when these men with rifles appeared .
01-18-2010, 09:01 AM
(01-17-2010 11:26 PM)Clementine Wrote:  the wolves we keep.

Without wanting to detract or distract from your stories, I do want to note that this phrase rang a bell with me. I once had a half breed wolf. This is in the heart of New York City no less! (Don't worry, he had lots of room to romp.) Fen was not wild or dangerous but he was definitely not merely a dog. He was my friend but I was not his master. Just feeling the difference from the ordinary in him made me realize yet again that the human view of the world in all its varieties is only a fraction of all viewpoints and that the world is a vaster and stranger place than we like to pretend.
01-18-2010, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2010 10:51 AM by Stereophonic.)
(01-17-2010 11:26 PM)Clementine Wrote:  ...a missionary from one of the local churches...When he found out my faith, he "freaked" and after trying to save me did not work, he ran away...

Apparently this was his first encounter with Voodoo? I take it he was not familiar with Haitian culture?

(01-17-2010 11:26 PM)Clementine Wrote:  ...The next night, there was a dead cat outside, with a barbed wire cross pinning it down. The necropsy determined it was alive when it was basically "sacrificed" on my doorstep...

Doesn't sound like anything a Christian would do. Who do you suppose was responsible? Is it customary to perform necropsies on dead cats in Haiti?

(01-17-2010 11:26 PM)Clementine Wrote:  ...we ended up quitting our jobs, leaving behind everything we had, and moving across the country and starting again. Let me tell you, it was terrifying...

Evidently you were among the Haitian upper class; many people of the more typical Haitian economic situation would no doubt be delighted to get a fresh start in the U.S.A. (and that is even before the recent earthquake catastrophe).

As for me, I haven't had any scary religious encounters, though I have been the target of hate crimes (death threats, threats to burn my house down, etc) from radical leftist political groups who didn't like a letter to the editor I submitted to the local newspaper years ago.
(01-17-2010 12:38 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  ...Religion is an insidious influence.

I suppose it can be, at times, but since atheists such as Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc. were responsible for killing more people during the 20th century alone than had been accumulated in all of the so-called "religious wars" of the previous 20 centuries combined, we seem to be fresh out of alternatives.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)