Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scholarly Resources for the Qur'an
02-17-2010, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2010 06:18 PM by Stereophonic.)
Scholarly Resources for the Qur'an
Hardly anyone today reads the actual Qur'an with any true understanding, since it is written in ancient Arabic which differs considerably from the various modern Arabic dialects. Strictly speaking, Islam allows no authentic "translations" of the Qur'an; muslims consider all translations to be imperfect interpretations.

The translation by Fahkry, An Interpretation of the Qur'an: English Translation of the Meanings, comes about as close as possible to being even modestly accepted by any sizable group of Muslims, though it is not as clearly written as the more free translation by Abdel Haleem. Most other translations, with the possible exceptions of Dawood and Arberry, are just junk.

Also see the following:

Variant Readings Of The Quran: A Critical Study Of Their Historical And Linguistic Origins

In Search of the Original Koran

Quranic Studies: Sources and Methods of Scriptural Interpretation

The Sectarian Milieu: Content And Composition of Islamic Salvation History

Further translation note: if anyone doubts how unclear and difficult-to-translate the Qur'an is, you have only to compare any of the above translations (particularly the one from Fahkry, which has something of the Islamic equivalent of an "Imprimatur") with the translation used by Ahmadi's heretical Islamic sect: http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/index.php

Here are some Qur'anic verses to check for variations in the Islamic teaching on the nature and duration of the Islamic hell:

"Yet, some people set up idols to rival GOD, and love them as if they are GOD. ... If only the transgressors could see themselves when they see the retribution! ... GOD thus shows them the consequences of their works as nothing but remorse; they will never exit Hell" (Qur'an 2:165, 167).

"Surely, those who disbelieve in our revelations, we will condemn them to the hellfire. Whenever their skins are burnt, we will give them new skins. Thus, they will suffer continuously. GOD is Almighty, Most Wise" (Qur'an 4:56).

"Certainly, those who disbelieved, if they possessed everything on earth, even twice as much, and offered it as ransom to spare them the retribution on the Day of Resurrection, it would not be accepted from them; they have incurred a painful retribution. They will want to exit Hell, but alas, they can never exit therefrom; their retribution is eternal" (Qur'an 5:36-37).

"Had we willed, we could have given every soul its guidance, but it is already predetermined that I will fill Hell with jinns and humans, all together. Taste the consequences of your forgetting this day; now we forget you. You have incurred eternal retribution in return for your own works" (Qur'an 32:13-14).

"Those who disbelieved said, "Do not listen to this Quran and distort it, that you may win." We will certainly afflict these disbelievers with a severe retribution. We will certainly requite them for their evil works. Such is the requital that awaits GOD's enemies. Hell will be their eternal abode; a just requital for discarding our revelations" (Qur'an 41:26-28).

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2010, 10:15 AM
RE: Scholarly Resources for the Qur'an
Sorry, but the information posted is wrong, and wrong translation of Arabic, you need to learn arabic my friendSmile
02-19-2010, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2010 11:24 AM by Stereophonic.)
Although there is a common "urban myth" that the Qur'an today is the same, perfectly preserved, unchanged text that Mohammad originally produced, the paper trail for the Qur'an vanishes from the time Islam's prophet died until around 800 AD or so; thus, there is no way to independently verify whether anything in today's Qur'an can be positively linked to anything Mohammad ever wrote or recited. Secondly, an Islamic apologist admitted that "genuine variants in the Qur'anic manuscripts (i.e. variants that are not the result of different ways of putting vowels or dots or the same words or phrases being written in different ways like 'labour' and 'labor', 'says' and 'saith', and 'do not' and 'don’t') number no more than a few dozens..." In other words, variants do exist in the Qur'anic texts.

02-19-2010, 01:01 PM
variants means different method of writing and reading, you are mixing it with versions of Bible, which are totaly different from each other, NO 2 manuscrpit of Bible are identical, this is fact and proven by every1.
So I challenege you, to produce any 2 arabic Quran, different from each other. and same time I wil show you also 2 different versions of Bible, having different and removed verses. Deal?
02-28-2010, 05:24 PM
I read his translation examples a bove
and my Arabic Koran they were the same
03-01-2010, 03:33 AM
(02-28-2010 05:24 PM)muslim girl Wrote:  I read his translation examples a bove
and my Arabic Koran they were the same

I think Truthwon needs to learn Arabic if that is the case Smile
03-20-2010, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2010 07:54 AM by Stereophonic.)
New York Times article: Scholars are Quietly Offering New Theories of the Koran

And here are some interesting books:

The Qur'an: Misinterpreted, Mistranslated, and Misread. The Aramaic Language of the Qur'an

The Hidden Origins of Islam: New Research into Its Early History

Muhammad Is Not the Father of Any of Your Men: The Making of the Last Prophet

03-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Nice find Stereo, makes life interesting. Most Non-Muslims already know this stuff about the Koran and how it came to be...It's is backed up by solid evidential historical context. But they will still insist it is the unchanged word of Allah and that it is the Bible which has been grossly changed.
03-23-2010, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2010 06:24 PM by qwer99.)
Some non-Muslims allege that God in Islam is a stern and cruel God who demands to be obeyed fully. He is not loving and kind.
Nothing can be farther from truth than this allegation.
It is enough to know that,
with the exception of one, each of the 114 chapters of the Quran begins with the verse: "In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate."
In one of the sayings of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) we are told that "God is more loving and kinder than a mother to her dear child."

Allah wants us to seek forgiveness and come towards Him.

((Hadith)1) the Messenger of Allah was traveling and stopped on the way at a village. A woman was cooking at a fire nearby and he noticed that she constantly had to push her child back who would come forward. She said to the Prophet, “I work with this fire all day, my son wants to play with it but I have to push him back all the time because I’m frightened for him. If Allah loves us more than we love our children, how can He put us in Hell?”

Hearing this the Messenger of Allah sat with his head bowed and his eyes filled with tears. He cried for some time and then said, “Allah does not want to send His creation into Hell, but it is man himself who buys Hell for himself through his disobedience to Allah. He forgets where he has come from and who his Caretaker is. He does not seek forgiveness from his Creator.”

((Hadeeth)) 2: Abu Hurayrah (radhi allahu anhu) relates that Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Indeed, before Allah created the creation, He decreed for Himself, 'Indeed My Mercy prevails over My Anger.”

((Hadithi Qudsi))
"O son of Adam, as long as you call upon Me and put your hope in Me, I have forgiven you for what you have done and I do not mind. O son of Adam, if your sins were to reach the clouds of the sky and then you would seek My forgiveness, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, if you were to come to Me with sins that are close to filling the earth and then you would meet Me without ascribing any partners with Me, I would certainly bring to you forgiveness close to filling it."

The mercy of Allah is manifested when Allah counts the sin of the sinner as one sin.

The mercy of Allah is manifested further when Allah rewards the righteous doer on his good deed ten times what his good deed is worth and Allah multiplies his reward even more than ten times to whom He wants from His servants
03-24-2010, 05:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3u0mqqgV4&NR=1

Wonderful Worlds THE CREATOR

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)