Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
School Project help request
03-23-2010, 08:31 PM
School Project help request
Hello,
I have a daughter in 2nd grade who is interested in choosing a religion for herself. Her father and I are non-religious, but she wants to make up her own mind and we respect that. When a school project came up with a wide open choice for a topic she decided it was the perfect opportunity. Because she already had some ideas of her own about religion, she designed her project to compare her ideas with those of other people. To that end she wrote survey questions that I agreed to distribute (I don't like giving her open access the web, particularly to discuss sensitive topics). If you have a few moments, and don't mind sharing, please fill it out for us. She has some interesting views and I'm hoping to find a wide range of responses, from a number of different religious traditions for her to consider. Short, mostly yes or no answers, are perfect due to her age, although I appreciate that some of these questions may be more complicated, to you, than they appeared to her.

Religion Survey

Are you religious?

What religion do you have?

Do you believe that God or gods created earth?

Do you believe that God or gods control the seasons?

Do you believe in one God or more than one god?

Do you believe that God or gods know everything?

Do you believe that God or gods are always kind?

Do you believe that God or gods are good?

Do you believe that God or gods have certain rules that they want you to follow?

Do you believe that it’s important to go to church?

Does God or the gods care about being worshiped?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2010, 09:01 PM
RE: School Project help request
I think this is a very interesting thing to do for your daughter.

Quote:Are you religious?

Yes.

Quote:What religion do you have?

I'm a Celtic polytheist, meaning I follow the old gods of the Irish, Welsh, Gauls, and British.

Quote:Do you believe that God or gods created earth?

No my religion believes in evolution.

Quote:Do you believe that God or gods control the seasons?

They reflect them, they do not control them.

Quote:Do you believe in one God or more than one god?

Multiple gods.

Quote:Do you believe that God or gods know everything?

No, the gods in my belief are not omniscient.

Quote:Do you believe that God or gods are always kind?

No, nothing is always kind, including mother nature.

Quote:Do you believe that God or gods are good?

Good in what way? Given the vastness I'll say yes, but more detail would help.

Quote:Do you believe that God or gods have certain rules that they want you to follow?

Only in the broadest sense of living an honourable life. There are no "ten commandments".

Quote:Do you believe that it’s important to go to church?

I think it depends on the person. If that's the way you can best explore or gow and question faith, most definitely. I do not.

Quote:Does God or the gods care about being worshiped?

For me, the gods are like family. Does your grandmother like when you call or come to visit her? Sure, it's time with you she wouldn't normally have. Does she want you to visit? Sure, once in a while. But will she be angry and vengeful if you don't? No, she simply waits and goes about her life while she waits.
03-24-2010, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2010 12:20 AM by lastmikvehlastDay.)
Religion undoubtedly is pretty broad subject and a massive one for any board. Instead of going with the one who best 'brags' about his or her "religious life". You might want to seriously consider looking at it from what is called a 'Sociological' angle. If nothing else you might avoid some of the less favorable ones. It is not hard to find historical information about any given religion. I wouldnt dream of outlining a 'best practices' myself. I would only want you to be aware of ones to avoid (hence the angle I suggested). The problem with Americans is they will often hold religion off at arms length. Without enough information, I guess that is prudent. Ironically the news might provide some assistance. I mean if some scandalous messed up behavior is taking place in a particular group. Might want to avoid.
People might give you an answer at a forum (but they'll probably be wrong). Claims and 'practices' are a real consideration. Wouldnt want to find out about a religion the hard way (where you end up with a bad experience) resulting in disillusionment and ending in a waste of your time. Sincerely and honestly hope that helps U both.
03-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Thank you Aingeal. I really appreciate your time, and your response will be helpful. We've only had responses from monotheists and atheists to date.

lastmikvehlastDay-Thank you also for taking the time to reply. My daughter's interests in religion have been a steady part of our lives since last summer. We have already looked at a number of books, and videos and websites about various religions, and will continue to as long as she wants to use her time that way. However, this school project requires her to use data collection to answer a narrow question that she devised, "How do my beliefs compare with the beliefs of others?" Her school does this sort of investigative project, and holds a day for presentations much like other schools do science fairs. We just don't limit the subjects to areas of science. So, I do understand what you are saying, but this is just a portion of her investigation.
03-24-2010, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2010 09:00 AM by Stereophonic.)
(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Are you religious?

Yes, I suppose.

(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  What religion do you have?

Traditional, historic Christianity.

(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Do you believe that God...created earth?

Yes. God answers the "Who did it?" question, but we're still in the process of discovering the answer to the "How did he do it?" question.

(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Do you believe that God...control[s] the seasons?

God created the earth to have seasons, and when the earth is going through its seasons, the earth is simply being what God created it to be.

(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Do you believe in one God or more than one god?

There is only One True God.

(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Do you believe that God...know[s] everything?

God knows everything that is knowable. The future choices of free agents are not knowable, though God might be able to predict some outcomes with a high degree of accuracy. God certainly knows what God will do, or what God might do in a given circumstance.

(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Do you believe that God...[is] always kind?

God is love; love is usually, but not always kind. Sometimes love has to speak the truth, even if the truth doesn't always seem kind to the receipient.

(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Do you believe that God...[is] good?

Yes, God is love, and love is good.

(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Do you believe that God...[has]...certain rules that...[God wants] you to follow?

It's more true to say that God knows what's best for us, and God wants us to do our best and be our best.

(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Do you believe that it’s important to go to church?

We are at our best when we are reminded that God is love, and that we are loved by God, and that God has created us for community with God and with God's creatures. Church is supposed to remind us of these things, and to help us learn the best ways to love God and each other. To the extent that any particular church actually does its job, it is important for us to find and attend such a church.

(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Does God or the gods care about being worshiped?

God does not need our worship, but God knows that as finite beings we will always worship something (perhaps money or power or popularity). God wants us to worship him because there is nothing else that is worthy of worship; if we do not worship God, we will worship something infinitely less than God, and we generally come to resemble that which we worship. God wants us to become more and more like God, and worshipping God helps us to become more godlike.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
03-24-2010, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2010 12:36 PM by Evolition.)
(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Are you religious?

No, I'm atheist.

Quote:What religion do you have?

None. I prefer a free spirit.

Quote:Do you believe that God or gods created earth?

No. There are no gods, they are an invention of man. Science offers a perfectly good explanation on how earth was formed billions of years ago. Remember, there is the exact same amount of evidence for the existence of a god as there is for the existence of little pink elephants on the moon: none whatsoever. Also keep in mind that the major religions of the world were conceived in a time of great superstition, when people had only little knowledge of the world (and even thought the world was flat).

Quote:Do you believe that God or gods control the seasons?

No, for the same reasons as I gave above.

Quote:Do you believe in one God or more than one god?

Even religious people don't believe in most gods (such as the Norse god Odin or the Greek god Zeus). I just take it one god further. There is no evidence whatsoever that any god ever existed.

Quote:Do you believe that God or gods know everything?

No. God is said to be almighty (he knows everything, he is everywhere, and he can do anything). But it is only said so that his followers would have a simple excuse to explain anything and everything. Whenever you see something happening that god would never allow, people will say "god works in mysterious ways" so they wouldn't have to question it.

Quote:Do you believe that God or gods are always kind?

No. The bible is full of events where god has shown himself to be violent and murderous. Think of the plagues of Egypt. Think of the great flood that killed so much life. Think of Abraham who was asked to sacrifice his own son. That is just plain cruel. And the world of today is still filled with war and famine. If there is an almighty god, he is sitting back and doing nothing about it.

Quote:Do you believe that God or gods have certain rules that they want you to follow?

No, all the rules that your religion imposes on you are invented by mankind. They originally served different purposes, to control people or to make them fearful. Now they still serve that purpose, but they are also used simply out of habit or because they don't know any better.

Quote:Do you believe that it’s important to go to church?

No, I think it is important to live your life to the fullest. In church, you will see people with funny clothes (at least here in Europe) who talk about things they don't even believe themselves (or at least their actions don't reflect these beliefs). You don't need to be religious to do good, and to have a fulfilling life. I cannot sit in church and listen to a priest who says we should help the poor, while that same church is brimful with rich tapestries and golden relics.

Quote:Does God or the gods care about being worshiped?

Wouldn't that be vanity?

I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts
03-24-2010, 09:01 PM
(03-24-2010 08:26 AM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Thank you Aingeal. I really appreciate your time, and your response will be helpful. We've only had responses from monotheists and atheists to date.

Not a problem. Big Grin I went to several Christian schools, so I never got a project like this. It would have been interesting.
03-26-2010, 06:40 AM
(03-23-2010 08:31 PM)atomic_girl Wrote:  Religion Survey

Are you religious?

Yes

What religion do you have?

Christian

Yes

Do you believe that God or gods control the seasons?

In a roundabout way.

One god

Yes

Yes, but sometimes God allows unkind things to happen.

Yes

Do you believe that God or gods have certain rules that they want you to follow?

Yes

Yes

Yes.
03-29-2010, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2010 11:34 AM by muslim girl.)
Are you religious?
Yes

what religion do you have?
Islam
Yes
do you believe that God or gods control the seasons?
He creates the sun and sun does by its gravity
One god
Yes
do you believe that God or gods are always kind?
Yes, they punish the bad
Yes
do you believe that God or gods have certain rules that they want you to follow?
Yes
do you believe that it’s important to go to church?
Important to pray
I am Muslim
Yes

yes,they punish the bad
yes
yes
Important to pray

yes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Survey for my school. Valkyrie 9 859 12-11-2013 07:52 PM
Last Post: Dove
  School Project Questionnaire: Understanding Religion around the world SmithAtSchool 6 1,374 06-25-2013 05:13 PM
Last Post: Satyros
  WorldView School Project, Answer Questions MIKEJAMES123 8 978 12-03-2012 05:40 PM
Last Post: Adi Baba
  A request to participate in a survey. matte102 3 523 07-09-2012 09:24 PM
Last Post: URAVIP2ME
  A request Yefet 14 1,787 05-26-2011 12:54 AM
Last Post: Manahel.Fatima
  Help me out with a school project? nfg 0 352 04-29-2011 03:55 PM
Last Post: nfg
  School subject Jaugs 5 1,161 06-07-2010 10:35 PM
Last Post: jeanleryml
  THE LUCIFER PROJECT - RAISING ANTICHRIST GaryB 2 1,183 07-17-2009 08:30 PM
Last Post: Raphael

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)