Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Science and Religion, the titular thread :)
11-27-2007, 01:27 AM
Science and Religion, the titular thread :)
I am so glad this isn't titled the Science Vs. Religion forum. No conflict needs to exist there. But what is everyones opinion on the subject? Why should creationism and evolution be at odds? Is there not room for both? Is science so bad? If so, why would god make us capable of such discovery and inventiveness? What do some of the non-Christian faiths have to say about Science? For instance, does Hinduism have the same at odds view with evolution as Christianity? Come on people lets show some signs of life around here!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2007, 05:36 PM
RE: Science and Religion, the titular thread :)
I believe that science and religion go hand-in-hand. Science is simply understanding the world that God created. I believe in evolution but that doesn't mean I don't believe God had a hand in it. I happens the way it does because God created it to happen that way.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2007, 09:25 AM
I'd really like to hear some other people's opinions so please don't be shy in stating what you think.

RF's Sponsors
12-19-2007, 09:09 PM
An interesting discussion. I know that Hinduism has some creation traditions, I recall reading some of them but cannot recall the details at this moment. In my opinion, Evolution is just another theory. It could be true, and it could be a misunderstanding. Just because we believe in something now, does not mean that in the future we could be proven incorrect.

The main principle of science is that there is always room for improvement. In other words, as stated above, what we believe to be the source or cause of the universe now may be shown to be false when we encounter new technology and methodologies in the future.

Islam itself actually encourages scientific endeavors. It is not an enemy to science, I think, because Muslims have rarely taken as literal the descriptions in the Qur'an of certain issues. The Bible says that it took God six days to create the world, and many Christians used to believe the Earth was 6000 years old, because they understood those texts literally. Muslims don't have that problem as far as the Qur'an goes.

I hope this was helpful.

Regards,

S.Waheed
01-15-2008, 11:51 PM
shamsuddin waheed Wrote:An interesting discussion. I know that Hinduism has some creation traditions, I recall reading some of them but cannot recall the details at this moment. In my opinion, Evolution is just another theory. It could be true, and it could be a misunderstanding. Just because we believe in something now, does not mean that in the future we could be proven incorrect.

The main principle of science is that there is always room for improvement. In other words, as stated above, what we believe to be the source or cause of the universe now may be shown to be false when we encounter new technology and methodologies in the future.

Very true. I do have to admit though that the evidence for evolution is pretty overwelming.

RF's Sponsors
05-12-2008, 02:27 AM
Buddhism and science are generally considered to be compatible with each other, especially compared to the conflict between science and the Abrahamic religions. Buddhism itself, being generally neutral on the subject of the supernatural, is open to scientific discoveries. With its focus on the nature of mind and its implications for the concept of reality, Buddhism offers explanations for metaphysical issues within psychology and studies of consciousness. Some popular conceptions of Buddhism connect it to discourse regarding evolution, quantum theory, and cosmology, though most scientists see a separation between the religious and metaphysical statements of Buddhism and the methodology of science. Nevertheless, commonalities have been cited between scientific investigation and Buddhist thought. The Dalai Lama, in a speech at the meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, listed a "suspicion of absolutes" and a reliance on causality and empiricism as common philosophical principles shared between Buddhism and science. As both Buddhism and science are open to criticism from within, there is some disagreement over whether one is being badly influenced by the other.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-Buddha
05-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Science and religion, conflict need not exist there. I agree with this statement and accept that thereis a firm relation between religion and science. It is so imperative that my belief is firmly accociated with this balanced idea.

I feel that I must accept science and our universe, because there are atoms, substance, planets, suns, solar systems, galaxies, and universes. But I must also accept a belief that is the underlying principle involved with this construct. The underlying belief can only be thought upon in a very broad manner.

Science then is my main focus. For when thinking about the size of the universe, I become amazed at its complexity. Even we, humans are flesh, and thus relate to the laws of science. From the smallest atom within ourselves, to the biggest physical structure in the known universe.
05-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Science and religion don't necessarily have to be in conflict, but it does require a lot of compromise on the part of religion in order for it to work. Science should never be compromised, because it is of course all based on results, and as such is not in essence maliable or conformist.

Many of the individual claims of various religions, however, are in direct conflict with what science presently indicates is possible. Noah's arc is an excellent example of this, as it is a story full of impossible achievements, not the least of which is a man living to be three hundred years old before we had things like 'antibiotics' and 'soap'. While I do not have it handy presently, I one day sat down to do some calculations regarding what would be involved in such an arc, in regards to the space needed and the resources required to successfully undertake such a journey. The sheer tonnage of such a vessel dwarfs the largest of this world's super-craft, and the whole two-pairs of ever animal thing doesn't really allow for the necessary genetic variety. If I'm not mistaken, when all was said and done, Noah would have had to build a ship roughly the size of 3,500 large homes, and he would have had to do so with nothing but wood and stone.

To take the thought even further, the whole concept of an all powerful creator-God, an omniscent, omni-present all powerful being violates some of the very most fundemental principles of physics. A being capable doing anything would require an infinite store of energy with which to achieve this, something that science simply and plainly forbids.

Also, snakes lack the necessary vocal range and organs to suggest one eat the pomegranite (experts reject the 'apple' hypothesis.)
05-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Science and Religion are linked together because there's something that cannot be answered by Science while Religion can.
06-03-2008, 10:40 AM
science and religion dont HAVE to be at odds but most of the big religions have problems with scientific discoveries. science reports results from studies and experiments, religion is static and never changing, no matter how much new informations is revealed.

eventually, science will answer all the questions we have about the universe.
religion will still demand faith in magic.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."

-Gene Roddenberry, Creator of Star Trek

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  isnt science the same as religion? BuddhaThaSnake 89 5,313 08-24-2014 12:42 PM
Last Post: Spiny Norman
  Science and Religion are both true miyono-suke 84 4,667 06-01-2014 08:46 AM
  The Biggest Difference between Science and Religion QuestionMark 24 1,794 04-02-2014 08:20 AM
Last Post: Herminator
  Science/Religion Analogy QuestionMark 3 729 03-30-2014 09:42 AM
Last Post: Scientist
  Science & Religion - Same Thing Different Timeline nabeelfarooqui98 5 721 03-21-2014 11:04 AM
Last Post: Aviara
  Science is not religion.... but why not make it one? StarStuff 16 1,749 03-06-2014 04:53 AM
  Ghosts, spirits, religion and science ! hellboykl 4 700 02-22-2014 06:38 AM
Last Post: Herminator
  Controversies between religion and science. Leosnake 72 7,845 02-15-2014 12:26 PM
Last Post: Leosnake
  SCIENCE AND RELIGION avatar 31 5,906 09-21-2013 03:30 PM
Last Post: Vagabond
  Theory of Evolution: Science not Religion. Achrelos 82 5,259 09-01-2013 08:50 PM
Last Post: davek121

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)