Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scientology
09-16-2009, 01:40 AM
Scientology
Scientology has always been a religion that has intrested me. I was just wondering is it actually combinig science and religion? Does the religion support all ideas/theories of science? Could anyone give me a really basic outline.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2009, 06:34 AM
RE: Scientology
(09-16-2009 01:40 AM)XxXHjJXxX Wrote:  Scientology has always been a religion that has intrested me. I was just wondering is it actually combinig science and religion? Does the religion support all ideas/theories of science? Could anyone give me a really basic outline.

Here is one view of the basis of Scientology.

Quote: Sam Moskowitz, a 74-year-old science fiction editor in Newark, claimed that Hubbard made comments to 23 members of the Eastern Science Fiction Association in 1948 about starting a religion to make money. Lloyd Esbach recalls Hubbard making such a statement in 1948, made to a group of science fiction authors. According to The Visual Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, Hubbard made statements to the effect that developing a religion or psychiatric method was an effective way to make money. Harlan Ellison says that Hubbard told John W. Campbell that he was going to devise a religion that would make him wealthy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard
(Supporting citations in the wiki article)

Here is another view.
09-16-2009, 08:47 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2009 08:55 AM by Raphael.)
(09-16-2009 01:40 AM)XxXHjJXxX Wrote:  Scientology has always been a religion that has intrested me. I was just wondering is it actually combinig science and religion? Does the religion support all ideas/theories of science? Could anyone give me a really basic outline.

Please note that the first reply to this thread came from a fellow who has NOT a clue about how to reconcile religion and science.

I call him paradoxical parousia.
WHY?
Because his left brain is in direct conflict with his right brain, and the experts note differences exist between the two.

As a matter of fact...the bible notes the differences in a very big way.
Quote:By using concordance texts from the Bible books of the Hebrew Canon (Old Testament, OT) and from the New Testament (NT), all the verses containing any reference to the left and the right (OT=151, NT=49 verses) have been identified and classified into 10 groups: (1) references to space, (2) symmetric sayings, (3) the right hand is the favorite hand, (4) right eye preference, (5) God's right hand, (6) the right side is more prestigious, (7) the right side in liturgy, (8) left hand preference, (9) fatal left-hand shots, and (10) on the left side
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3980310

however my wordblog:
http://kachina2012.wordpress.com/about/
attempts to addresses this reconciliation between religion and science as being as fundamental as bringing your LEFT and RIGHT hands together in prayer.

Praying

WHY do we do this gesture Praying ?
To quieten the mind grasshopper.
To quieten the asymmetrical LEFT and RIGHT hemispheres of the mind and in a bigger context to bring peace to both WESTERN and EASTERN hemispheres of the world.

'XxXHjJXxX' = X man

X man I am curious, what does Scientology say about brain asymmetry or left vs. right?
Any references that note a difference?

I did find this quote by Hubbard interesting.
Quote:According to Hubbard: "Laughter is definitely the relief of painful emotion."

eh parousia?

hoho hahaha Wink

Xman that is an inside joke shared by the court jester, the trickster and the fool.

namaste

NATURE cannot be HIDDEN only VEILeD with NARRATIVES that defy NATURE

CodeX4 and the Reconciliation of Science and Religion
09-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Scientology in no way even attempts to court science. In fact, its followers often reject things like modern medicine in favor of their own brand of "spiritual healing."

The church of Scientology is a reprehensible organization. Their demands that their constituents pay them money for further teaching put the worst televangelist to shame. Their belief system is so ridiculous that South Park felt the need to put a disclaimer, "This is really what Scientologists believe", at the bottom of the screen as they showed it.

This in itself would not be so bad. But the Church of Scientology is involved in shakedown schemes, intimidation, and plain and simple thuggery to such a degree that it qualifies as a criminal organization, in my humble opinion.

I'm generally harsh on religion, but I reserve the title of "worst religion I am aware of" for Scientology, which from its inception to the present day has been nothing more than an organized attempt to gain its leaders money and power through any possible means.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-16-2009, 10:01 AM
(09-16-2009 08:47 AM)Raphael Wrote:  I did find this quote by Hubbard interesting.
Quote:According to Hubbard: "Laughter is definitely the relief of painful emotion."

eh parousia?

A trivialization of a very deep and complex subject. For a non-trivial understanding, I recommend Arthur Koestler's The Act of Creation. Incidentally the book also makes the point (among many others!) that scientific advances are often the result of insights - what you would call right-brain - followed by detail work - what you would call left brain. That is, science involves the integration of all of the brain, not only the left side. Just thought you would like to know.

In that (lengthy) section of the (700+ page) book, Koestler gives a number of examples of insights resulting from visual imagery, sometimes dreamed. One example of dream insight I know of that Koestler did not mention - it being rather obscure - was the invention of the Editall block for editing audio tapes. I used to do music editing a long time ago. Hey maybe I DO have a right brain. Tongue
09-16-2009, 10:40 AM
(09-16-2009 09:44 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Scientology in no way even attempts to court science. In fact, its followers often reject things like modern medicine in favor of their own brand of "spiritual healing."

The church of Scientology is a reprehensible organization. Their demands that their constituents pay them money for further teaching put the worst televangelist to shame. Their belief system is so ridiculous that South Park felt the need to put a disclaimer, "This is really what Scientologists believe", at the bottom of the screen as they showed it.

This in itself would not be so bad. But the Church of Scientology is involved in shakedown schemes, intimidation, and plain and simple thuggery to such a degree that it qualifies as a criminal organization, in my humble opinion.

I'm generally harsh on religion, but I reserve the title of "worst religion I am aware of" for Scientology, which from its inception to the present day has been nothing more than an organized attempt to gain its leaders money and power through any possible means.

I don't even like to give Scientology the title of being a religion. I have read Dianetics, and I do believe with some of the stuff that is said in there, but not all of it. Scientology does offer insight to things that you would not have seen otherwise. It also has some things that are completely insane and ridiculous.

I believe that one of the biggest issues that people have with Scientology (and with any religion), is that they don't know how to separate the good from the bad. You have to be able to set aside the good things, and disregard and hopefully forget the meaningless nonsense. A lot of people see a bible, and automatically believe that EVERYTHING inside of it is right. That is not the case. People that truly understand the bible, know that to be true. They understand that not everything in the bible make sense and that a lot is open for interpretation. The same goes for Scientology and Dianetics.
09-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Even Aleister Crowley thought Hubbard was dodgy; if the 'wickedest man in the world' thinks you're up to no good, then that's a bad sign.

I've not read Dianetics yet, though I do own a copy, but from the research I've done on scientology it is a has quite a dark side to it.
09-16-2009, 01:58 PM
(09-16-2009 01:48 PM)Zagreus Wrote:  Even Aleister Crowley thought Hubbard was dodgy; if the 'wickedest man in the world' thinks you're up to no good, then that's a bad sign.

I've not read Dianetics yet, though I do own a copy, but from the research I've done on scientology it is a has quite a dark side to it.

It does get kind of dark at times. You just have to take it for what its worth. And LOL to the Crowley comment, funny stuff.
09-17-2009, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2009 05:48 AM by Raphael.)
(09-16-2009 01:58 PM)theinfinatemind Wrote:  It does get kind of dark at times. You just have to take it for what its worth. And LOL to the Crowley comment, funny stuff.

Crowley who was a Freemason and Golden Dawn member?

Just like the pentagram (connected to phi), and the swastika (key of all keys*), Crowley is dissed and thrown into the 'occult' heap...

Is this the pile of ancient rubble where the truth can be found?

namaste

* the swastika is the key of all keys?
That is a Freemason quote taken from the book called The Royal Secret Wink written BEFORE the swastika was adopted and sullied by Hitler.

NATURE cannot be HIDDEN only VEILeD with NARRATIVES that defy NATURE

CodeX4 and the Reconciliation of Science and Religion

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)