Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scripture: Post a verse then explain it's meaning.
07-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Scripture: Post a verse then explain it's meaning.
I want to learn more about each of your respective beliefs so those of you with Scriptures, I was hoping you could post a verse and then explain what you feel that verse means.
For example if your Jewish post a verse from the Torah, if your Muslim post a verse from the Quran, if your Hindu post a verse from Hindu scripture and etc. etc. And then explain to us what you believe that verse means.

Some people take Scriptures to be literal while others take them to be symbolic or have a deeper meaning, when you explain what the verse means to you tell us if you feel your interpreting it literally or symbolically.

I will start with some thing from the New Testament:

"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."- Matthew 7:6

To me this is stating that their are some people who are so foolish and closed minded that they will not listen to reason when you preach to them or try to teach them, instead of listening to you and understanding what you are trying to tell them they will warp your words and attempt to destroy you.

Please be polite to one another.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2013, 01:12 AM
RE: Scripture: Post a verse then explain it's meaning.
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

By "Earth" is meant the physical Earth.

By "Heaven" is meant not the abode of God but the Earth's "heavens". When you look out at the sky, you see what astronomers call the celestial sphere. This is the meaning of "heavens". It begins with the lowest "heaven", the atmosphere, especially populated by the clouds. Then comes the outer "heavens" pertaining to the Moon, Sun, individual visible planets, and lastly the fixed stars. The true Heaven where God dwells is concealed from us, hence our sphere of concealment or "universe" is composed, from our Earth-based point of view, of the Earth and its heavens.

"To create" means to organize, not to bring into existence at the snap of fingers out of nothingness. That means there already were elements present and these got organized into the Earth. At the beginning the Earth's "heavens" were a thick layer of dense atmosphere, so from the Earth you could only see that thick dense layer of atmosphere. The thick layer then cooled and part of it precipitated to become the ocean of those days but the atmosphere was still dense enough. It cleared up only later. Once it did, the Sun, Moon, and stars became clearly visible in the clear skies of Earth. This is the way in which the "heavens" were organized rather than brought into existence. The fixed stars existed before the Earth did for sure, as astronomy proves, and the Sun is about as old as the Earth, not younger.

"God" here does not refer to a single person, but to a single unit made up of three persons, God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

"In the beginning" means the beginning of the Earth and its heavens, not the beginning of time.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
07-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Well for the sake of discussion I going to choose the first verse of the Torah as well.

Bereshit (Genesis) 1:1
"Bereshit barar Elohim et shamayim vet eretz"
or
" In the beginning of G-d's creating the heavens and the earth-"

-Bereshit (beginning) can only be associated with our physical realm because G-d does not began, so the term is for our physical universe and the beginning of its creation.

-Barar (Create) means that G-d is creator he creates materials and the universe.

-Elohim (G-d) this NAme of G-d is used here because He Ruler, Lawgiver and Judge of the universe.

-et and vet (cannot be translated) this puts significance to the heavens and earth in that G-d is sole creator and that it is His creation.

-shamayim (heavens) this is plural, implying all levels of the heavens up until G-d Himself were created by Him.

-eretz ( earth) this is the lowliest of the physical creation which G-d created for man to exist and so that through us He can dwell in the lowliest of the physical realm

"Torah's food for my brain let it rain til I drown, thunder, let the blessings come down!"
07-22-2013, 01:49 PM
So God created mankind in gods Image, in the Image of God they created them, Male and Female they where created."

God is both genders for we where created as male and female. This goes beyond just physical appearance our minds and spirits where also forged in gods image.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
07-23-2013, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2013 12:54 PM by IMtM.)
Quote:In this Universe there is
Either food
Or the consumer of food.
Soma is the drink,
Agni is the drinker.
This is the high Creation of Brahman
When he created the Gods
From his own Self
When he was mortal, as Sacrificer,
He created Immortals.
It is thus the highest Creation.
He who knows this lives
In his own highest Creation,
His own Self, as Consciousness.
- Brihadaranyaka Upanishad part 4, verse 6

There is perception and there is the thing perceived; Subject and Object; Verb and Noun. This is duality. The conjoining of these two aspects results in synthesis, or Union. Then there is Union and there is None.

08-03-2013, 02:12 PM
"When people see some things as beautiful,
other things become ugly.
When people see some things as good,
other things become bad.
Being and non-being create each other.
Difficult and easy support each other.
Long and short define each other.
High and low depend on each other.
Before and after follow each other." - from Tao Te Ching

We create concepts by organizing our world into categories, and when we label some thing a label other things take on the opposite of that label in contrast to it. Each and every thing or idea which exists, exists in balance with it's apparent dissimilar and could not exist without it.
For example we could not understand good with out evil, nor evil with out good, yet these are concepts we have arrived at and who save god can say for certain what is good or bad or if the whole world is simply shades of grey instead.

08-06-2013, 08:40 AM
34 Women[f] should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

I think this one kind of speaks for itself.

A woman[a] should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man;[b] she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

I think this one does too.

Discussion resumed.....

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
08-06-2013, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 11:42 AM by Yefet.)
Deuteronomy 16:18 Judges and officers shalt thou make thee in all thy gates, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, tribe by tribe; and they shall judge the people with righteous judgment
seems straight forward, but one must delve into it just a little deeper with the simple understanding of what is the difference between shoftim and shotrim and what is the Gates that guard the entrance to our little cities and what possible function they act upon the Jew in general
with only little Talmud study one know's that Nedarim 32 says that the body is also referred to as a small city, the Gates are what connects our comprehension of something to our emotions, they are known as the 50 Gates of Understanding
Everyday decisions that we make is in advance of a physical action, In Kabbalah it is known to come from the Rosh or head of the Partzuf or the Rosh or head of the Neshama or soul. It is the desire in its purest form, The judges at these Gates are the first to judge the people with righteous judgment in other words the early determination of what is the correct way to handle the desire so that it is good for everyone and not just for one's ego, But being the ego is what it is, and we are slaves to it, we as humans tend to go in the opposite direction and want the entire Desire for ourselves totally, what is mine is mine mentality disregarding the ruling of our Judge so we need policeman or shotrim, so that we don't go against the Judges ruling on how to handle the desire, it is then known as the Guf or body of the Partzuf of the Neshama. This process is called making a Mitzva, and we have 613 of these, in other words you should think before taking action, is your actions ruled by your judge as law of the land,for the good of others in general or is it a selfish or egotistic action disregarding the law of nature and your common sense.
Of coarse it could just mean to place Human Judges and Policeman at every entrance to a city?
08-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Didn't prophets reprove at the gate?

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
08-06-2013, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 12:41 AM by Yefet.)
Amos 5:10 They hate the one who reproves in the gate; they abhor the one who speaks the truth.
The prophets like Jeremiah Cursed the day he was born, Nevi’im is full of these type of sayings
And I bet my Judges are not to fond of my ego as well because I know my Ego reprove at the gate so much so it will not even listen to my shotrim, thus is our current attitude while in Golus

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can Bible Errancy Exist? The Scripture of Time says yes todd_vetter33 12 2,205 11-29-2012 01:19 PM
Last Post: todd_vetter33
Rolleyes So how do christians put a spin on this verse Turbo SS 10 2,112 01-31-2012 02:50 PM
Last Post: Yefet
  Which verse in the Bible prohibits/condemns polygamous marriages? Stonecold 0 327 03-23-2011 10:01 AM
Last Post: Stonecold
  New Gap Theory might explain everything we see from evidence ChristIsKing 25 3,161 01-10-2011 12:23 AM
Last Post: Aups1115
  How do the Religious Explain Noah's Ark? Secular Hobbit 64 13,577 05-10-2010 05:46 PM
Last Post: prdamico
  Scripture devine1001uk 12 2,289 05-09-2009 08:21 AM
Last Post: devine1001uk

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)