01-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Self-Contradictions of the Bible
I just found a book:

Self-Contradictions of the Bible
Author: William Henry Burr

It is available on
http://forgottenbooks.org

One contradiction that I became immediately convinced of was:

It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. (Exodus 31:17)

Thou hast forsaken me, saith the LORD, thou art gone backward: therefore will I stretch out my hand against thee, and destroy thee; I am weary with repenting. (Jer.15:6)

Opposed to:

Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. (Is. 40:28)

The reason why I bacame immediately convinced was that there is a verse in the Holy Quran similar to (Is. 40:28) but none to suggest that He needed to rest on the 7th day.

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2010, 06:22 PM
RE: Self-Contradictions of the Bible
And I just Googled and found this site:

CONTRADICTIONS IN THE QURAN

"How many angels were talking to Mary?

In Sura 3:42, 45 SEVERAL angels appear to Mary in the annunciation of the birth of Jesus.

In Sura 19:17-21 only ONE angel appears to the virgin Mary.

In Sura 22:47 and 32:5 Allah's day is equal to 1,000 human years.

Allah's day is equal to how many human years?

In Sura 70:4, Allah's day is equal to 50,000 human years.
In Sura 41:30 and 57:21 there is said to be only one garden in Paradise.

How many garden's are there in paradise?

In Sura 18:31, 22:23, 25:33, and 78:32 there are many gardens in Paradise.

How many groups will there be at the last judgement?

Sura 56:7 says there will be three distinct groups of people at the Last Judgment.

Sura 90:18-19 and 99:6-8 say there will be two distinct groups at the Last Judgment.

Who takes people's souls at death?

Sura 32:11 The angel of death

Sura 47:27 The angels (plural)

Sura 39:42 "It is Allah that takes the souls at death"

How many wings do angels have?

Sura 35:1 Angels have 2, 3, or 4 pairs of wings

The angel Gabriel had 600 wings. (Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 54, Number 455)

How many days did Allah need to destroy the people of Aad?

Sura 54:19 - One day

Sura 41:16 & 69:6,7 - several days

How many days did creation take?

Sura 7:54, 10:3, 11:7, and 25:59 all clearly state that God created "the heavens and the earth" in six days.

Sura 41:9-12, the detailed description of the creation procedure, add up to eight days.

Which was created first, the heavens or the earth?

Sura 2:29 says the earth was created first and then heaven.

Sura 49:27-30 says the heaven was created first and then the earth was created.

Sura 41:11 states that in the process of creation heaven and earth were first apart and are called to come together.

Heaven and earth ripped apart or called together?

Sura 21:30 states that they were originally one piece and then ripped apart.

Does Allah forgive shirk?

Sura 4:48, 116

No

Sura 4:153, 25:68-71

Yes

Jesus was born more than 1,000 years after Moses
Moses and the Injil

Sura 7:157 Allah speaks to Moses about what is written in the Injil (the book given to Jesus)

Who brings the revelation from Allah to Muhammad?

Sura 2:97 - The Angel Gabriel

Sura 16:102 - The Holy Spirit

Alexander the Great

Surah 18:89-98 says Alexander the Great was a devout Muslim and lived to a ripe old age.

Historical records show that Alexander the Great died young at 33 years of age. He believed he was divine and forced others to recognize him as such. In India on the Hyphasis River Alexander erected twelve altars to twelve Olympian gods.

Ezra the son of God

Surah 9:30 says the Jews believe that Ezra is the Son of God - the Messiah

This has never been a tenet of Judaism.

The Golden Calf
Surah 20:90-100 says a Samaritan helped the Israelites build the golden calf, and it mooed after coming out of the fire.

Samaritans did not exist as a people until at least 1000 years after the time of Moses and the Israelite exodus from Egypt."

Hey, Ahmadi, I notice you're not posting any opinions on the End of Abraham board. How come? Is the information about the Brahma/Sarasvati/Ghaggar-Hakra=Abraham/Sarah/Hagar too scary for Muslims to think about?
01-30-2010, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2010 07:48 PM by Stereophonic.)
(01-30-2010 03:51 PM)Ahmadi Wrote:  ...One contradiction that I became immediately convinced of was...

The single biggest problem with people who run around claiming "contradictions" in the Bible is they are using translations of an Old English that isn't spoken or well understood today. The best solution is to start using a modern English translation.

The second biggest problem is that many people mistakenly believe that the Bible is written in some sort of "scientific legalese." The best solution here is to recognize that the Bible is a literary work, not a legal work, and it uses a variety of literary devices, figures of speech, etc.
(01-30-2010 06:22 PM)biomystic Wrote:  ...CONTRADICTIONS IN THE QURAN...

You missed the one about whether or not Pharaoh was drowned in the Red Sea. But yes, I know, Muslims have an explanation for that one too.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
01-30-2010, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2010 07:08 AM by Ahmadi.)
(01-30-2010 07:45 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  The single biggest problem with people who run around claiming "contradictions" in the Bible is they are using translations of an Old English that isn't spoken or well understood today. The best solution is to start using a modern English translation.

The second biggest problem is that many people mistakenly believe that the Bible is written in some sort of "scientific legalese." The best solution here is to recognize that the Bible is a literary work, not a legal work, and it uses a variety of literary devices, figures of

So, you accepted the point that I was trying to make, that the Bible is not the literal word of God. But a collection of different authors from different times. So, contradictions are inherent in the process.

The Holy Quran says that if it had been word of anyone other than All-Knowing God there would have been contradictions in it. It is a book that has squeezed infinite message in finite volume. By its very nature, the ordinary humans, when they look at it with hostile mind, fail to gain any wisdom from this. The Holy Quran claims that only spiritually pure can gather profound insights from the Holy Quran. Let me link a Google - Knol that high lights several beautiful features of the Holy Quran:

http://knol.google.com/k/zia-shah/the-ho...umbuyp/55#

What sometimes with our limitations, we call a contradiction in the Quran, only has a different and a more profound meaning. By calling it a contradiction we only reflect our lack of knowledge. I also invite the readers to go to this link about a book by Dr Maurice Bucaille:

http://knol.google.com/k/zia-shah/the-bi...umbuyp/28#

If the claims in this book are established then the accusation of contradictions evaporates in thin air.

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
01-31-2010, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2010 07:08 AM by Stereophonic.)
(01-30-2010 10:27 PM)Ahmadi Wrote:  ...contradictions are inherent in the process...

Well, the example you gave certainly was no contradiction.

(01-30-2010 10:27 PM)Ahmadi Wrote:  ...The Holy Quran says that if it had been word of anyone other than All-Knowing God there would have been contradictions in it...

Yes, well, since there do appear to be actual contradictions in the Qur'an, it necessarily follows that it cannot be God's word...

But again, what purpose does all this book-bashing serve? Why not just present your views on what Islam teaches? Whenever you attempt to delve into Christian territory, you just advertise your ignorance on that subject.

01-31-2010, 07:14 AM
(01-30-2010 06:22 PM)biomystic Wrote:  And I just Googled and found this site:

By ignoring contradictions of Bible,and pointing towards others, do you agree that there are many contradictions in Bible?
01-31-2010, 07:19 AM
(01-31-2010 07:14 AM)TruthWon Wrote:  ...By ignoring contradictions of Bible,and pointing towards others, do you agree that there are many contradictions in Bible?

By ignoring contradictions in the Qur'an, and pointing towards others, do you agree that there are many contradictions in the Qur'an?

Come on now, you two. Let's agree to stop all this bashing and just discuss what our respective traditions actually teach. No acrimony, just mutual enlightenment--what a concept!

01-31-2010, 07:24 AM
(01-31-2010 07:19 AM)Stereophonic Wrote:  
(01-31-2010 07:14 AM)TruthWon Wrote:  ...By ignoring contradictions of Bible,and pointing towards others, do you agree that there are many contradictions in Bible?

By ignoring contradictions in the Qur'an, and pointing towards others, do you agree that there are many contradictions in the Qur'an?

Come on now, you two. Let's agree to stop all this bashing and just discuss what our respective traditions actually teach. No acrimony, just mutual enlightenment--what a concept!

Thats what I want to realize biomystic, that if the topic is started for Bible, concentrate on it, and answer the contradictions. forget about Quran or other books, if you or Biomystic feel that there are no contradiction in Bible, than answer the contradictions.
And if you want for Quran, start another post, we will answer for that. Agree?
01-31-2010, 07:48 AM
(01-31-2010 07:24 AM)TruthWon Wrote:  

Thats what I want to realize biomystic, that if the topic is started for Bible, concentrate on it, and answer the contradictions. forget about Quran or other books, if you or Biomystic feel that there are no contradiction in Bible, than answer the contradictions.

No. I actually have little interest in the subject. As I've stated before I am a Gnostic Christian and we Gnostics don't idolize the Bible, it's a main reference book for our beliefs but not the only one and we take what's in it with a grain of salt, i.e. it's loaded with tribal propaganda and often confuses God with the tribe's territorial agendas and desires for spiritual authority. I do have to laugh at the Muslim attempts to discredit the Bible (which is why I posted the countering contraditions in the Quran) as having so many contradicts and bragging that the Quran has none when the obvious reason for the Bible having more contradictions is multiple authors writing at many different times. One author would of course have more control over the final product than many would but this simple explanation seems to elude the Muslim mind that seems so mesmerized with Muhammad's way of thinking they forget common sense.
01-31-2010, 07:55 AM
(01-31-2010 07:48 AM)biomystic Wrote:  
(01-31-2010 07:24 AM)TruthWon Wrote:  

No. I actually have little interest in the subject. As I've stated before I am a Gnostic Christian and we Gnostics don't idolize the Bible, it's a main reference book for our beliefs but not the only one and we take what's in it with a grain of salt, i.e. it's loaded with tribal propaganda and often confuses God with the tribe's territorial agendas and desires for spiritual authority. I do have to laugh at the Muslim attempts to discredit the Bible (which is why I posted the countering contraditions in the Quran) as having so many contradicts and bragging that the Quran has none when the obvious reason for the Bible having more contradictions is multiple authors writing at many different times. One author would of course have more control over the final product than many would but this simple explanation seems to elude the Muslim mind that seems so mesmerized with Muhammad's way of thinking they forget common sense.

As you said that you believe in Bible, and you are still Christian, so it does;nt make sense at all.
Otherside when you say about Quran, you are most welcome to discuss the contradictions if you feel they are in Quran, but you have to start a seperate post, and I would certainly answer them 1 by 1. ok?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)