Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shhh, Fundamentalists
05-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Shhh, Fundamentalists
I've been wondering to myself if the world was really created in an amount of just a few days? I mean, that's a small amount of time, and some say it has been disproven.

Well, recently in a religious class I am taking the subject of "God's Time" came up. I learned that what may be years and years for us may be nothing for God, and as God is eternal time is nothing to Him. Alright, so what may be that short amount of time for God may be 4.3+ Billion Years for us.

So, do you guys think this aids religion, or are the fundamentalists "right" in terms of religion?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2009, 04:30 PM
RE: Shhh, Fundamentalists
Personally, I don't think the fundamentalists are right about very much, but that's just me. Big Grin

I can't remember the exact scripture, but the Bible teaches that a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day, so I (again, personally) believe that it very well could be ages and ages, rather than the limited 24 hours.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
05-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Problem with that is you're still stuck with the order. Not only is the time in Genesis too short, but the order is inaccurate as well. Either way you read it, the Bible still says that the sun was made after the ocean, and the ocean was made before land.
05-06-2009, 08:43 PM
(05-06-2009 03:24 PM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  I've been wondering to myself if the world was really created in an amount of just a few days? I mean, that's a small amount of time, and some say it has been disproven.

Well, recently in a religious class I am taking the subject of "God's Time" came up. I learned that what may be years and years for us may be nothing for God, and as God is eternal time is nothing to Him. Alright, so what may be that short amount of time for God may be 4.3+ Billion Years for us.

So, do you guys think this aids religion, or are the fundamentalists "right" in terms of religion?

I think Genesis is theology, not science, and "a day might be a billion years" just sounds like hogwash to me. Read Genesis for what it says about God and man, and leave physics to the physicists.
05-07-2009, 04:45 AM
In term of religion, the fundamentalists are incorrect. But there are many fundamentalists.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-29-2009, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2009 08:57 AM by Stereophonic.)
(05-07-2009 04:45 AM)George Wrote:  ...there are many fundamentalists.

Not really. The Catholic Church is over one billion strong, and the Catholic Church is not fundamentalist. The Orthodox Church is not fundamentalist either. Mainline Protestants are not fundamentalists. Even most Evangelical Protestants are not fundamentalists.

The fundamentalists are an extreme minority, though the media likes to play them up because they make for a good story line--and that, in turn, helps the media to sell their advertisements.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
06-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Look on a map of the Republican primary election results for the United States, for 2008. That chunk of country in the southeast that all voted for Huckabee? Fundamentalists. We're swarming with them down here.
06-02-2009, 02:56 PM
(06-02-2009 02:43 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Look on a map of the Republican primary election results for the United States, for 2008. That chunk of country in the southeast that all voted for Huckabee? Fundamentalists. We're swarming with them down here.

You're confusing "fundamentalists" with conservative evangelicals. They're not the same, though evangelicals are often slandered as such in the media and by anti-Christian fundamentalists.

A "fundamentalist" is one who interprets the Bible in a flat, noncontextual fashion. Evangelical do take genre and context into account when interpreting Scripture; fundamentalists refuse to do so, and therein lies the difference.

06-02-2009, 03:02 PM
No, I'm talking literal seven-day creation, Intelligent Design, dinosaurs are either there to test our faith or were buried in the flood Fundamentalists.

I live in the south, Stereophonic. I know whereof I speak. Check out the Kansas school board and that whole flap.

And, incidentally, your definitions are wrong. Fundamentalists believe in a literal Bible. They can take it in cultural context, but the Bible remains literally true. Indeed, the fundie church where I grew up made context its own course of study. I credit my pastor with my eventual turn toward Atheism, since he was the one who taught us that we had to test and try everything. Of course, he intended the veracity of the literal Bible to be the one exception, but occasionally the student does surpass the teacher.
06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
(06-02-2009 03:02 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  ...I'm talking literal seven-day creation, Intelligent Design...

These two are in no way connected. Seven-day creationists despise ID proponents.

(06-02-2009 03:02 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  ...your definitions are wrong. Fundamentalists believe in a literal Bible. They can take it in cultural context, but the Bible remains literally true...

Cultural context is one thing; literary context is quite another thing; and truth is yet another thing.

I will grant you that there are many biblically illiterate evangelicals who simply haven't thought much about Biblical interpretation. I distinguish between fundamentalists and evangelicals on the basis of their best representatives, rather than their worst. Every evangelical seminary works very hard to teach their students the pitfalls of fundamentalism.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)