Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shinto?
11-23-2009, 02:26 AM
Shinto?
I would like to discuss the Religion of Shinto that comes from Asia more specifically japan, if I am not mistaken!

Shinto beliefs: http://www.religioustolerance.org/shinto.htm

The main belief I'd like to talk about is this:
"Ancestors are deeply revered and worshiped."

While I think souls exist and spiritual energy exist I do not worship my ancestors or any human for that matter. Now I do honor my ancestors and other important people based upon their actions and what is known about them. So I do value them, I just don't praise or worship them.
Such is the case with Jesus and the "holy spirit." I do not worship them but only God!
I am a melting pot of different beliefs and none of them contradict each other unlike most Christians and the Trinity. I do however consider myself a Christian of sorts. Though I share beliefs with quite a few different religions and philosophies.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2009, 02:33 AM
RE: Shinto?
(11-23-2009 02:26 AM)Azrael17 Wrote:  I would like to discuss the Religion of Shinto that comes from Asia more specifically japan, if I am not mistaken!

Shinto beliefs: http://www.religioustolerance.org/shinto.htm

The main belief I'd like to talk about is this:

While I think souls exist and spiritual energy exist I do not worship my ancestors or any human for that matter. Now I do honor my ancestors and other important people based upon their actions and what is known about them. So I do value them, I just don't praise or worship them.
Such is the case with Jesus and the "holy spirit." I do not worship them but only God!
I am a melting pot of different beliefs and none of them contradict each other unlike most Christians and the Trinity. I do however consider myself a Christian of sorts. Though I share beliefs with quite a few different religions and philosophies.
Oh, so you're not Shinto, you're just respective.
11-23-2009, 02:36 AM
(11-23-2009 02:33 AM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  Oh, so you're not Shinto, you're just respective.

Quite correct!

Would you care to comment about how you feel about Shinto and it's beliefs?

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
11-23-2009, 02:40 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2009 02:41 AM by Holy Babylon.)
I think that all people should honor the accomplishments of others, even as if discovering the cure for all the world's diseases wouldn't have a gain on Heaven. People who help others whether in physical or spiritual ways deserve a special recognition. I also believe that some of these people can help us even when they are gone. In my church, we call them Saints. Although, not just spiritual accomplishments should be honored. There are non-religious people who make great contributions to the world who also deserve some amount of respect.
11-23-2009, 02:57 AM
(11-23-2009 02:40 AM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  I think that all people should honor the accomplishments of others, even as if discovering the cure for all the world's diseases wouldn't have a gain on Heaven. People who help others whether in physical or spiritual ways deserve a special recognition. I also believe that some of these people can help us even when they are gone. In my church, we call them Saints. Although, not just spiritual accomplishments should be honored. There are non-religious people who make great contributions to the world who also deserve some amount of respect.

Thank you,
Do you feel that people who do not belong to your faith are predetermined for hell?-Or Suffering-Or being separate from God!

11-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Nope, I do not believe that at all. In terms of Hell, I believe that it's not just some place that turn up in by accident, a person who goes to Hell knows his or her sins and not repent for them. For Purgatory, I believe that its a place for those who have had sins but do not know them. There are set times in Purgatory for each person, depending upon the intensity of the sins that they have not repented for or have not known about: this is where those who do not share the same beliefs as me go. They do not know that they are wrong, but they are wrong. They do not burn in Hell, but there is delay before they may reach Heaven. The suffering in Purgatory is separation from God.
11-24-2009, 09:19 AM
(11-23-2009 02:26 AM)Azrael17 Wrote:  The main belief I'd like to talk about is this:

My theory of the origin of religion is that it served to bind a community, facilitating the greater efficiency possible with division of labor and more effective defense against predators (including other humans), reducing wasteful internal strife by providing common standards of behavior and support for a central authority for dispute resolution, providing for the needs of the next generation, and otherwise fostering the well-being and continuation of the community.

The various shared ritual practices associated with a religion in fact serve to elicit a sense of an abstract entity outside the individual self. An obvious early candidate for such an entity would be the community itself – past, present and future. Deep reverence for ancestors and even worship of them seems like a possible evolutionary path from such a beginning. Many of the more primitive religions involve ancestor worship. The continuing involvement and importance of the spirits of the dead can be found in even more sophisticated religions, from the obsession with tombs in Egypt to the veneration of saints in Catholicism. It is all over the Orient, but then there is a generally much greater sense of community in the East than in the West.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)