Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Singing in churches when you're not Christian
03-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Singing in churches when you're not Christian
Here's a topic I like to bring up to get various opinions on now and then, and considering today I've gotten two calls, it reminded me.

My father is a Christian (Lutheran) and a lot of my family are practising Catholics (Aunts, uncles, cousins, etc)

Ever so often, some church, usually my Da's or one of the others in town will call and ask me to sing something for a special service (Easter, Christmas, Ash Wednesday, Pentecost, etc). I almost always say yes, unless the service conflicts with something else (this last Christmas I spent six hours in church, four different services) I've agreed to do.

It's never bothered me, nor do I "get paid" to do it or anything like that. I have been offered, but I always do it as a volunteer, or as a donation of time to the church in question. They pick the music, I just show up and sing it.

Ever so often, someone will get a twist in their knickers about a pagan singing a Christian hymn, in a Christian church, for a Christian holiday. It happens on both sides, so I thought I'd offer it up here -- what do you think? Is it inappropriate? If so, why?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2010, 01:14 PM
RE: Singing in churches when you're not Christian
I see nothing wrong with it. My church often displays parts of secular movies or music videos that superbly illustrate theological and anthropological issues.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
03-15-2010, 01:14 PM
YOU GO FOR IT GIRL

????????????????
03-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Wow, you don't get paid, and some still have the balls to complain because you aren't Christian? How rude.

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah
04-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Bumping this: Easter is coming and the Methodist church as well as several others have asked me to sing for Easter services. I've no problems with the others, but the new pastor at the Methodist church doesn't really know me, and I know the last time I sang there (at Christmas) there was a lot of backlash from parishioners.

So, in your opinion, should I do it or not?
04-12-2011, 09:30 AM
If the pastor has asked you and you enjoy doing it I don't see why you wouldn't. Easter services are notorious for bringing in the psuedo Christians , here in Canada at any rate - the likelihood that a majority of attendees that day could most charitably be described as soft in their faith is very high. In other words, I can see no reason why anyone would object when the church would already be full of 'worhippers' of questionable resolve. For those who are strong in their faith surely they would see it as a chance to get the light of god shining on you in the hope of conversion or something like that.

As Kev said months ago - go for it.
04-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks Vis. I just hate when the 'drama' comes in because of me. It always makes me feel bad.
04-12-2011, 09:33 AM
I second the motion. I think the I's have it.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
04-12-2011, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 09:41 AM by kevlar.)
Aing, pay for my airfares and no-one will say a bad word against you, not with the ugliest man in the world beside you.........lol Smile

????????????????
04-12-2011, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 09:46 AM by Aingeal.)
(04-12-2011 09:33 AM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  I second the motion. I think the I's have it.

All right then, I better practice the Regina Coeli and Easter Hymn from Cavalleria Rusticana.

Quote: Aing, pay for my airfares and no-one will say a bad word against you, not with the ugliest man in the world beside you.........lol Smile

Aww, Kev, that's so sweet. Even if you were the world's ugliest man, you're beautiful on the inside.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Difference between churches of Christ rahikumar 0 470 05-31-2011 05:19 AM
Last Post: rahikumar

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)