Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Sins. (Please help)
01-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Wink Sins. (Please help)
hello. my name is sam. I am a university student writing a piece on religion and beliefs. I dont mean to offend anyone and i am here only for your help. I am in need on your thoughts of The Seven Deadly Sins. I have done a lot of research into them and know them well, however some first hand research would really help me to finish off my work.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me your views on them? a few questions just to help you out (Do you live in fear of them? if you commit a sin, are you destined for hell or will your religion forgive you?)
Also...if you are willing to help me further, it would be a massive help if anyone has commited a sin recently and wouldnt mind sharing it with me. obviously you can private message me. It will stay strictly private!

Thanks a lot for your time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2010, 09:07 PM
RE: Sins. (Please help)
(01-17-2010 06:06 PM)University Student Wrote:  hello. my name is sam. I am a university student writing a piece on religion and beliefs. I dont mean to offend anyone and i am here only for your help. I am in need on your thoughts of The Seven Deadly Sins. I have done a lot of research into them and know them well, however some first hand research would really help me to finish off my work.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me your views on them? a few questions just to help you out (Do you live in fear of them? if you commit a sin, are you destined for hell or will your religion forgive you?)
Also...if you are willing to help me further, it would be a massive help if anyone has commited a sin recently and wouldnt mind sharing it with me. obviously you can private message me. It will stay strictly private!

Thanks a lot for your time.

I view them as a Christian construct that have no bearing whatever on my religion or my life. My religion doesn't really have sin as such, though if you dishonour yourself you're just going to have to deal with the consequences life brings you, and possibly reincarnate again.
01-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Sin is to misuse a God given instinct or faculty. Proper use of all God given instincts is encouraged in Islam. That is why God gave those.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei

Extract your assignment from this short booklet, 'Philosophy of Teachings of Islam' and you will excel! It is a promise!

http://www.alislam.org/library/books/Phi...-Islam.pdf

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
01-17-2010, 09:41 PM
(01-17-2010 06:06 PM)University Student Wrote:  ...The Seven Deadly Sins...Do you live in fear of them?...

No, certainly not.

(01-17-2010 06:06 PM)University Student Wrote:  ...if you commit a sin, are you destined for hell or will your religion forgive you?

God is in the business of forgiving. That is why God came to earth as a man and died in our place, so we can be forgiven.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Sin in Vodou is interesting. Nothing is always a sin, extenuating circumstances are always taken into account by the lwa. Murder is almost always a sin, but done in self-defence, there's no issue. Abortion is widely considered a sin because it's not just your child, but that is not to say every abortion is a sin. Stealing is widely considered a sin, but if you're trying to keep others alive, it's negotiable.

Vodou is a religion that has it's people at it's heart. It has no book, no hard set rules, and there is no hell.

However, I can also answer as to how I felt when I was an active and devout Catholic.

Yes, I lived in fear of the seven deadly sins. Most often, the religion will forgive you, if you approach with sincere repentance and do penance.

However, I wanted to go to Hell when I was Catholic. Luckily, I was saved from that, and death.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
01-18-2010, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2010 06:53 AM by Venedi Sporoi.)
Well, I always though that these seven sins were not so much sins in and of themselves as potential motivations or causes to do something bad. For the most part, doing something bad is just hurting someone (not just physically) or inconveniencing them.

Someone who lived badly enough might end up in peklo, an unpleasant place analagous to hell. However, I think that is an atypical afterlife experience. If asked, I would say as the Rus said that people generally go to the garden of rai, and even that's just until transmigration back to Earth in another body.
01-18-2010, 07:06 AM
thanks for your help guys.

Still need more peoples views so if your reading please join in.

P.S. If god made these seven deadly sins as a set of rules to live your life by, then why would he forgive them? surely he made them so that if you ever commited one then that it. end of. I cant help think that society/religion in general has allowed you to believe that he will forgive you because in this day in age, the sins are very easily breakable to everyone everyday.

I dont know if you knew that the 7 sins have been written by the vatican a few years back. To be more modern, please tell me what you think of these and why they have re-written them:
1: BIOETHICAL - VIOLATIONS SUCH AS BIRTH CONTROL
2: MORALLY DUBIOUS - EXPERIMENTS SUCH AS STEM CELL RESEARCH
3: DRUG ABUSE
4: POLLUTING THE ENVIRONMENT
5: CONTRIBUTING TO WIDENING DIVIDE BETWEEN RICH AND POOR
6: EXCESSIVE WEALTH
7: CREATING POVERTY

also a note for 'CLEMENTINE' You said that when you were a devoute catholic that you did live in fear of them, why is this? if you knew he would forgive you then why whould fear them?

Thanks again guys, your all very helpfull
01-18-2010, 08:49 AM
(01-18-2010 07:06 AM)University Student Wrote:  If god made these seven deadly sins as a set of rules to live your life by, then why would he forgive them? surely he made them so that if you ever commited one then that it. end of. I cant help think that society/religion in general has allowed you to believe that he will forgive you because in this day in age, the sins are very easily breakable to everyone everyday.

The Seven Deadly Sins did not come directly from God. They were developed over a period of time as classifications of serious (mortal) sin. But sin is sin regardless of which pigeon hole it gets stuck in.

Here is a brief discussion of the development of the list.

The idea of forgiveness goes back to Old Testament days and is repeated frequently in the New Testament as well as in the majority of Christian theologies since then. The only significant exceptions are the hard-line predestination ones, where the idea of sin itself becomes meaningless. Forgiveness was not introduced in modern society.

(01-18-2010 07:06 AM)University Student Wrote:  I dont know if you knew that the 7 sins have been written by the vatican a few years back. To be more modern, please tell me what you think of these and why they have re-written them:
1: BIOETHICAL - VIOLATIONS SUCH AS BIRTH CONTROL
2: MORALLY DUBIOUS - EXPERIMENTS SUCH AS STEM CELL RESEARCH
3: DRUG ABUSE
4: POLLUTING THE ENVIRONMENT
5: CONTRIBUTING TO WIDENING DIVIDE BETWEEN RICH AND POOR
6: EXCESSIVE WEALTH
7: CREATING POVERTY

The most accurate article on this is here. As with most news coming out of the Vatican, most of the media has no comprehension of what was really said.

A brief extract:

Quote:Fifteen hundred years after the Roman Catholic Church introduced the original list of seven deadly sins, a Vatican official last week suggested an updated roster for a new age.

Although it doesn't reflect a change in official doctrine, the expansion of sins brought on by technology and science aligns with Pope Benedict XVI's emphasis on communal rather than individual piety, observers say.

In an interview with L'Osservatore Romano, the Vatican's official newspaper, Monsignor Gianfranco Girotti said priests must take into account "new sins which have appeared on the horizon of humanity as corollary to the unstoppable process of globalization."

Not a replacement of anything. Not even new doctrine. Just a suggested expansion of categories to keep in mind when considering one’s actions.

(01-18-2010 07:06 AM)University Student Wrote:  also a note for 'CLEMENTINE' You said that when you were a devout catholic that you did live in fear of them, why is this? if you knew he would forgive you then why should fear them?

Clementine may have her own answer. But I was raised Catholic and understand the mindset.

Forgiveness of mortal sin requires either:

. Absolution by a priest in Confession, not necessarily an easy thing in the case of mortal sin

Or

. Perfect contrition. You have to be really genuinely completely sorry and ask forgiveness with all your mind, heart and soul. Not an easy thing to do. But you still have to go to Confession as soon as you can or you did not really mean it.

And the penalty for blowing it is eternal hellfire.

The same thing applies to venial sin, but the penalty is only temporary hellfire.
01-18-2010, 06:31 PM
When I was a devout Catholic, I felt a lot of guilt for every tiny little sin I committed. I tried to live my life in contrition and obedience, but no one is perfect, and I would messs up. It wasn't so much the knowing I would be forgiven, it ws the feeling that I didn't deserve it, that I didn't want to be forgiven.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
01-18-2010, 06:35 PM
(01-18-2010 06:31 PM)Clementine Wrote:  When I was a devout Catholic, I felt a lot of guilt for every tiny little sin I committed. I tried to live my life in contrition and obedience, but no one is perfect, and I would messs up. It wasn't so much the knowing I would be forgiven, it ws the feeling that I didn't deserve it, that I didn't want to be forgiven.

Clementine

How did it change with the change of religion? I hope and pray that your father is well and safe.

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sins Lost soul 24 1,634 06-03-2014 09:55 AM
Last Post: Lost soul
  What Sins, cause what disasters EqualAtheist 34 2,113 03-16-2013 08:04 PM
Last Post: URAVIP2ME
  Jesus died for our sins? thomasj6299 168 11,186 04-16-2012 03:17 PM
Last Post: Satyros
  Mortal sins god1 0 428 04-11-2010 02:38 PM
Last Post: god1

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)