Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Some good arguments against Xianity
06-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Some good arguments against Xianity
What are your favorite arguments to use against Xianity/ or other religious delusions? I find philosophical and historical arguments fascinating, as well as the documentation of contradictions and inaccuracies in the Bible. Back when I believed, reading about and listening to these arguments helped me start questioning things.

I also found the argument (presented in Zeitgeist and other sources) that states that Xianity is based on earlier Pagan religion quite interesting. For those interested, here's a partial list of things which were stolen from earlier Pagan sources:
http://see_the_truth.webs.com//Old%20Testament.html

What arguments do you find particularly effective/interesting/enjoyable?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2017, 05:42 PM
RE: Some good arguments against Xianity
(06-28-2017 04:21 PM)200mileswest Wrote:  What arguments do you find particularly effective/interesting/enjoyable?

Nothing from your crummy conspiracist hate site. The third line of the page you linked quotes from "The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion", which is a fabricated antisemitic tract:

Quote:The Protocols of the Elders of Zion (Russian: Протоколы сионских мудрецов) or The Protocols of the Meetings of the Learned Elders of Zion is an antisemitic fabricated text purporting to describe a Jewish plan for global domination. The forgery was first published in Russia in 1903, translated into multiple languages, and disseminated internationally in the early part of the 20th century. According to the claims made by some of its publishers, the Protocols are the minutes of a late 19th-century meeting where Jewish leaders discussed their goal of global Jewish hegemony by subverting the morals of Gentiles, and by controlling the press and the world's economies.

Henry Ford funded printing of 500,000 copies that were distributed throughout the U.S. in the 1920s. The Nazis sometimes used the Protocols as propaganda against Jews; it was assigned by some German teachers, as if factual, to be read by German schoolchildren after the Nazis came to power in 1933,[1] despite having been exposed as fraudulent by The Times of London in 1921. It is still widely available today in numerous languages, in print and on the Internet, and continues to be presented by some proponents as a genuine document.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protoc...rs_of_Zion
06-28-2017, 08:23 PM
The article you linked to is simply nonsense. As clarence noted it is a bunch of conspiracy theories that have all been extensively debunked. There are sound reasons for why I gave up belief. Nothing in that article had anything to do with it.

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan
06-28-2017, 08:34 PM
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...-director/

~~~

when we enter a discussion on matters of discordance, we should search for truth not victory, In this manner we always win, there are no losers.
06-28-2017, 10:00 PM
(06-28-2017 08:34 PM)PeterPants Wrote:  https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...-director/

Nice Smile

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan
06-29-2017, 10:25 AM
Bottom line: If Jesus is God, then God is dead. The God of Israel is the living God, and earth is called the "land of the living". God will be incarnated on earth and will live forever here as King of the Universe. He will be executed, but will conquer death and return from Heaven on the mount of Olives with the entire host of Heaven.
06-29-2017, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2017 12:03 PM by shiverleaf15.)
You can't say "I find philosophical and historical arguments fascinating" and then start citing Zeitgeist (the movie). No academic historian and no academic philosopher takes that movie seriously, it's full of bad reasoning (you need good reasoning for good philosophical arguments) AND bad history (it misrepresents and lies, and real historians have not been slow to point that out)

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
06-29-2017, 06:27 PM
(06-29-2017 12:02 PM)shiverleaf15 Wrote:  You can't say "I find philosophical and historical arguments fascinating" and then start citing Zeitgeist (the movie). No academic historian and no academic philosopher takes that movie seriously, it's full of bad reasoning (you need good reasoning for good philosophical arguments) AND bad history (it misrepresents and lies, and real historians have not been slow to point that out)

How is it any worse than the belief that Jesus came to North America and mingled with the natives?

It's funny when someone argues history when they believe equally whacky ideas that are also without evidence.

----------------------
Does anyone know where the love of God goes
when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
06-29-2017, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2017 08:08 PM by shiverleaf15.)
Zeitgeist presents itself as research based. Therefore it is bad history.

Revelation-based claims may contradict academic history but they do not present themselves as research based.

Can you scrutinize the claims of a revelation if there's no historical support to back them up? Sure. But it's not really pretending to be research based. Whereas Zeitgeist is, which is where I find fault in it.

A person who believes in revealed "history" can be an academic historian for a reason, same with being an academic scientist. They will recognize that research-wise there's not sufficient support for the revealed claims.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
06-30-2017, 03:06 PM
I remember back in 2009 that there was a trend on forums for people to quote that film "Zeitgeist" and act as if they were privy to some kind of hidden secret (tautology!!), quite often sharing what they felt the rest of us deserved in a not-less-than-nasty manner. Good times, debating them. Cool

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)