Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Some questions for the faithful
06-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Question Some questions for the faithful
I am not a believer myself, but I have always been fascinated with theology. So, I had a few questions that I was hoping some of the believers here could answer. Many of them may be specific to Christianity, but all opinions are welcome.

1. Religions are defined by their religious texts...nothing more than books. So, what makes your chosen religious text more believable to you than say, the vague deities from Gilgamesh, the Greek or Roman pantheons of gods, or even Harry Potter?

2. There are thousands of separate denominations of Christianity. Why is something typically referred to as the absolute truth, as passed down by an omnipotent, omniscient being, so vague as to allow this much variety in interpretation?

3. I see a lot of hypocrisy in some of the high profile Christians in America...like Pat Robertson, Jim Baker, etc. Yet I'm sure every one of these people believe they are going to Heaven when they die. Has anyone met a believer (of any faith) that truly feels they are NOT getting whatever reward is promised by their faith when they die?

4. Muslims seem to have a penchant for violence whenever anyone slights their faith, like the Danish cartoonist that drew Mohammad. Why is the violence necessary? Can you not be content that you have your faith, and let others have theirs? Does the Koran really instruct you to kill/maim/torture any that violate your religious rules, even those that do not belong to your faith?

These questions highlight just a few of the problems I have with organized religion. Again, any response would be appreciated. Smile

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2008, 10:46 PM
RE: Some questions for the faithful
1.only one book we have and its the bible , bible that was inspired by God imself
2.because he is are creater that give is son for are sins.god is the absolute truth
3.if u have faith u cant NOT beleive that u wont go somewhere but are u in the right place to beleive that u can go to heaven.
4.in our church we are against violence its against god and its a sin if one comites sins we leave the jugement to god and of course we respect and follow the laws of the world bcuz they are put to bring justice.we respect all other religions and belief of other.but we do not follow there belief.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalajara...ernational
06-26-2008, 10:48 PM
are church named :The Light of the World
06-27-2008, 09:19 AM
lldm Wrote:1.only one book we have and its the bible , bible that was inspired by God imself
This isn't an answer. WHY do you believe this book is actually inspired by god? It is just a book. What makes it any different than countless other books that have been written?
2.because he is are creater that give is son for are sins.god is the absolute truth
Again, you didn't answer the question. YOUR interpretation of the absolute truth of god is going to differ from that of say...catholics, protestants, or lutherans, yet you all use the SAME book. If it's the absolute truth, why is it so open to interpretation?
3.if u have faith u cant NOT beleive that u wont go somewhere but are u in the right place to beleive that u can go to heaven.
But all people of faith (that I've met) believe they are going to Heaven (or their faith's version of it), and none of them believe they are going to Hell. Yet many of them are incredibly hypocritical in their actions...why do they still believe so firmly that they are going to Heaven?
4.in our church we are against violence its against god and its a sin if one comites sins we leave the jugement to god and of course we respect and follow the laws of the world bcuz they are put to bring justice.we respect all other religions and belief of other.but we do not follow there belief.
Violence is against god? Have you read the Bible? God himself is incredibly violent through the entire old testament. He encourages his followers to strike down the non-believers. In the new testament, Jesus often says similar things. Matthew 10:34 - "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." That was Jesus speaking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalajara...ernational

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
07-14-2008, 04:10 PM
damian.hoffman Wrote:I am not a believer myself, but I have always been fascinated with theology. So, I had a few questions that I was hoping some of the believers here could answer. Many of them may be specific to Christianity, but all opinions are welcome.

I might be inclined to believe you don't mean that or you wouldn't have 'appreciated' lldm's reply to your post as you have. You asked for opinions. Each person has differing opinions. That doesn't mean right or wrong ... it simply means opinions.

damian.hoffman Wrote:1. Religions are defined by their religious texts...nothing more than books. So, what makes your chosen religious text more believable to you than say, the vague deities from Gilgamesh, the Greek or Roman pantheons of gods, or even Harry Potter?

My religious text happens to be the Bible. I happen to have several translations: KJV, NIV, NIV Study, Living and a couple more. The foundation of Christianity is faith. FAITH. I take it on faith that the Bible, from the first word to the very last is true. I take it that every word in the Bible is true and inspired and that the more than 3000 promises in my bible have been, are currently being and will continue to be bestowed on those that follow the teachings.

Christianity is a choice. It is free will. God wanted mankind to love Him of their own free will, not because He made them or forced them to. The chosen text of Christianity is God's Word. We believe in God. We believe in the virgin birth. We believe that Jesus is the Son of God. We believe that he died and rose again on the third day. We believe that there is a heaven and a hell. We believe that our Bible is the teaching tool that God gave us.

I'm sure that other religions believe that the things in their respective books, bibles, guides or whatever they are known as are true and inspired as well.

damian.hoffman Wrote:2. There are thousands of separate denominations of Christianity. Why is something typically referred to as the absolute truth, as passed down by an omnipotent, omniscient being, so vague as to allow this much variety in interpretation?

Denominations are man made, not God-given. Christians, true Christians, have asked Jesus into their hearts, asked forgiveness of their sins, to which they were born into, repented (which literally means to turn away from) and are doing their very best to live according to God's Will which is plain as the nose on your face in the Bible.

damian.hoffman Wrote:3. I see a lot of hypocrisy in some of the high profile Christians in America...like Pat Robertson, Jim Baker, etc. Yet I'm sure every one of these people believe they are going to Heaven when they die. Has anyone met a believer (of any faith) that truly feels they are NOT getting whatever reward is promised by their faith when they die?

Christianity is very clear. There is only one way to salvation. Once saved, always saved. Once you are saved, salvation cannot be revoked. Your name is written in The Lamb's Book of Life forever and cannot be revoked. We believe that forgiveness is given and given freely ... our Bible teaches that it is. We have faith that it's true.

damian.hoffman Wrote:4. Muslims seem to have a penchant for violence whenever anyone slights their faith, like the Danish cartoonist that drew Mohammad. Why is the violence necessary? Can you not be content that you have your faith, and let others have theirs? Does the Koran really instruct you to kill/maim/torture any that violate your religious rules, even those that do not belong to your faith?

I am not Muslim, therefore I cannot speak on their beliefs.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
07-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi there. 1) Religions are defined by their religious texts but also by the messengers of God, like Abraham(PBUH), Jesus(PBUH), and Muhammad(PBUH). We look at the history of our messengers. For example Prophet Muhammad(PBUH). we look at the way he behaved with his wives, orphans, the needy, poor. What he said and did is important. The deities made of stone have no power at all. One time Abraham's father left him incharge of his shop of idols made of stone. Abraham was against idol worship. But his father wouldn't listen. To continue with the story, when his father left, Abraham took an axe and destroyed all the idols made out of stone and placed the axe on the biggest one. When his father arrived he was shocked and asked Abraham who did this. Abraham replied the big one did it. His father said don't be stupid. These idols dont have any power. How can it destroy all the other idols. Abraham replied then why do you worship them.
2) If you look at the Quran, you will find out that its unchanged. its the absolute truth.
03-01-2010, 06:09 AM
1. Religions are defined by their religious texts...nothing more than books. So, what makes your chosen religious text more believable to you than say, the vague deities from Gilgamesh, the Greek or Roman pantheons of gods, or even Harry Potter?
We do not believe in religion
Religion it a theory which explain the universe and we believe in

4. Muslims seem to have a penchant for violence whenever anyone slights their faith, like the Danish cartoonist that drew Mohammad.
We do not kill him
Why is the violence necessary?
It is not but to defend your self is necessary
Can you not be content that you have your faith, and let others have theirs?
Okay
Does the Koran really instruct you to kill/maim/torture any that violates your religious rules, even those that do not belong to your faith?
No
03-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Quote:Religions are defined by their religious texts...nothing more than books. So, what makes your chosen religious text more believable to you than say, the vague deities from Gilgamesh, the Greek or Roman pantheons of gods, or even Harry Potter?
Don't have a religious text. Don't like them, think any religion with a text is asking for trouble.

As for the deities from Gilgamesh and the Greek and Roman pantheons -- I have no issues with these, I simply don't worship them. They're not less believable, they just aren't mine.

Quote:There are thousands of separate denominations of Christianity. Why is something typically referred to as the absolute truth, as passed down by an omnipotent, omniscient being, so vague as to allow this much variety in interpretation?

N/A

Quote:I see a lot of hypocrisy in some of the high profile Christians in America...like Pat Robertson, Jim Baker, etc. Yet I'm sure every one of these people believe they are going to Heaven when they die. Has anyone met a believer (of any faith) that truly feels they are NOT getting whatever reward is promised by their faith when they die?

Absolutely, when I was a Christian, I was one.

Quote:Muslims seem to have a penchant for violence whenever anyone slights their faith, like the Danish cartoonist that drew Mohammad. Why is the violence necessary? Can you not be content that you have your faith, and let others have theirs? Does the Koran really instruct you to kill/maim/torture any that violate your religious rules, even those that do not belong to your faith?

N/A
03-01-2010, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2010 07:33 AM by vonason.)
First, let's think about, there are books written hundreds of years ago, why not say that these books sacred and fixed without distorting or changing? Answer is that these books did not find it saves or care about her, so it may happen by additions or deletions.But it's for the sacred books, it's different because these books were God Almighty, and therefore took great interest of people in the conservation and care. But here a question whether the Holy Scriptures (I mean the Torah and the Bible and the Koran) are these books kept without change, add or delete?
The answer is to go back to the history of the codification of these books, we find that the Bible was written after Moses(pbuh), peace be upon him more than 500 years,And the Bible written after Jesus(pbuh) was more than 50 a year but for koraan wrote in at the time of revelation and the friends of the Prophet Mohammed(pbuh), peace in collecting these manuscripts after his death in one book.And they were checking in copies. And therefore we find that there is one Quran in the whole world, in America, in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Australia, in England, in Germany ,........ Yes, there are translations of (the meanings of words of the Koran) and not for the words of the Koran Itself and also do not find the difference and not a contradiction, On the one hand the mind we find thousands of copies of the Torah and the Bible and may be contradictory.
But there is evidence that the stronger the Koran does not contain errors and it is saved and is one of the Koran itself

9. Verily, it is WE Who have sent down this Exhortation, and most surely WE are its Guardians.

"The question here is why we must revere the book (I mean the Koran)
1) because it is from Allah the Almighty
2) because God has ordered us to revere the Koran
3) because the Koran contains the way of human life and worship of legislation and laws
4) because who reads the Koran will find indulges his soul and relaxes the psychological
5) because the Koran contains the stories of the previous prophets without distortion or a change (as did the Jews in the Torah and curse the prophets, peace be upon them )
about this last question
come to see what the Koran say:

151. Say, `I will recite to you what your Lord has forbidden, that you associate not anything as partner with HIM; and that you do good to parents, and that you slay not your children for fear of poverty - it is WE who provide for you and for them - and that you approach not foul deeds, whether open or secret; and that you slay not the soul the slaying of which ALLAH has forbidden, save in accordance with the demands of justice. That is what HE has enjoined upon you, that you may understand.

and what about Mohammed, did he say to kill the others? what he did ?
come and listen:
The Messenger of Allah peace be upon him - stating primary purpose of the prophetic mission of the High Commissioner: - (I was sent to complete morals) ,and morals is the basis in the maintenance of the rights of others, and not abuse, community safety, thereby reducing the losses, including ensure co-existence of other human right image.
The Messenger of Allah peace be upon him - said that do not kill old people, women and children and a priest in a silo, do not cut down palm trees and do not and do not burn the plant, and do not betray .
these are some of Mohammed's morals.
Here a question , why Mohammed entered wars?
Muhammad, peace be upon him had not started the war and he went to war in defense of the religion and and for self-defense .But when Muslims are forced to enter the war (a result of invasions from abroad) were applied the previous orders of the Prophet in the war
There are many countries did not arrive in the armies of Islam, but entered Islam through the good treatment and advocacy of the good Muslim merchants (Indonesia, Malaysia ,.......). Islam is spreading and is now in the whole world, is now spread by the sword? I want to answer!
03-01-2010, 02:57 PM
No matter what you think the words mean in the Quran the facts of Muslim intolerance and violence is something we non-Muslims can see for ourselves most anytime we listen to the news coming from Muslim countries.

You can't sell a morally inferior religion in the West. We've been there, done that and don't want to repeat historical mistakes such as allowing another totalitarian ideology to overturn the slow and steady pace of democracy championing human rights over religious dogmas. Why on earth would any Westerner knowing about the hideous history of religious warfare inspired by totalitarian Christianity (Roman Catholicism before the Protestant Reformation) or the secular totalitarian varieties like Communism or Nazism, ever want to install another religious version of such ideologies and a very foreign one at that that seeks to not only make everyone live by ancient Arabic social rules but even speak Arabic as the only official language of religion. No thanks! We like our freedoms and Muhammad's Islam is an enemy to freedom.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)