Poll: Is Jesus literally the son of God ?
Yes, because poligamy is not a sin
Yes, and so was Adam
No, he was created like Adam
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Son of God ? What ????
08-10-2017, 11:54 AM
RE: Son of God ? What ????
(08-08-2017 07:03 PM)Caesar Saladin Wrote:  I get the sneaky feeling- just a felling, you know- that in the whirlwind of deciding what is and isn't 'god-inspired' the primary reason for Christianity itself- the study of Jesus and his personal message- get quite lost.

People agonize over what Paul writes and what this book means and what's the context of this other thing, but there seems to be very little effort to reconcile the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) with each other in order to nail down just who it is we're dealing and just what it was he said. In this respect, if we accept the Gospels as 'mostly' true (minus the supernatural aspects), then I believe Jefferson comes closest to that mark in his editing and combining the Synoptics into one narrative. It certainly doesn't suit everyone's purposes, but I believe it distills the essence of Jesus' life and message into one remarkably coherent tale.

The Jefferson Bible, as it is called, is an interesting work. It presents the moral philosophy of Jesus in the context of his life as presented in the gospels. These are mostly pretty good rules of thumb for how to live and since the supernatural aspects pertaining to Jesus are absent they need not be any more binding than that. Notice that Jefferson did not remove all references to the supernatural, just those that would lend divine authority to Jesus. For example, references to God and eternal life remain.

But uncovering what Jesus was really about requires deeper analysis of the text and uncovering what was genuine early tradition and what later accretion by the authors, all in the context of the time of Jesus and of the times of the authors. But that is another story. Wink

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2017, 01:16 PM
(08-10-2017 11:54 AM)Imprecise Interrupt Wrote:  The Jefferson Bible, as it is called, is an interesting work. It presents the moral philosophy of Jesus in the context of his life as presented in the gospels. These are mostly pretty good rules of thumb for how to live and since the supernatural aspects pertaining to Jesus are absent they need not be any more binding than that. Notice that Jefferson did not remove all references to the supernatural, just those that would lend divine authority to Jesus. For example, references to God and eternal life remain.

But uncovering what Jesus was really about requires deeper analysis of the text and uncovering what was genuine early tradition and what later accretion by the authors, all in the context of the time of Jesus and of the times of the authors. But that is another story. Wink

I think Jefferson got to the essence of Jesus' teachings- albeit dispensing with the 'divine' aspect as you noted- and presented his life story rather well. Of course one can claim 'divine inspiration' or 'editorial license' in doing such a thing, but either way it reads the same. I look at Jesus' message and example the same way- whether he is 'divine' or not, it makes absolutely no difference with regard to the lessons he brought.

I rather like Jefferson's approach to religion in that he's not opposed to it necessarily, but he's not going to tie himself down in a specific community where his thoughts are straightjacketed. I also like Paine's approach to the Church, but Paine is a bit harsh- and unnecessarily so- at times. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
08-10-2017, 04:33 PM
(08-10-2017 01:16 PM)Caesar Saladin Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 11:54 AM)Imprecise Interrupt Wrote:  The Jefferson Bible, as it is called, is an interesting work. It presents the moral philosophy of Jesus in the context of his life as presented in the gospels. These are mostly pretty good rules of thumb for how to live and since the supernatural aspects pertaining to Jesus are absent they need not be any more binding than that. Notice that Jefferson did not remove all references to the supernatural, just those that would lend divine authority to Jesus. For example, references to God and eternal life remain.

I think Jefferson got to the essence of Jesus' teachings- albeit dispensing with the 'divine' aspect as you noted- and presented his life story rather well. Of course one can claim 'divine inspiration' or 'editorial license' in doing such a thing, but either way it reads the same. I look at Jesus' message and example the same way- whether he is 'divine' or not, it makes absolutely no difference with regard to the lessons he brought.

I rather like Jefferson's approach to religion in that he's not opposed to it necessarily, but he's not going to tie himself down in a specific community where his thoughts are straightjacketed. I also like Paine's approach to the Church, but Paine is a bit harsh- and unnecessarily so- at times. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.

Here is a discussion of Jefferson's religious beliefs including a number of long quotes.

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan
08-10-2017, 04:53 PM
(08-10-2017 04:33 PM)Imprecise Interrupt Wrote:  Here is a discussion of Jefferson's religious beliefs including a number of long quotes.

Even in that short list of quotes, Jefferson says quite a lot. As much as I am an admirer of Theodore Roosevelt on the 'Man of Action' level, I think on the intellectual level Jefferson is someone whom I would very much like to have known and learned from in person.

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."- T Jefferson, 1789

BAM! Nailed it, Tom Big Grin

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
08-11-2017, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2017 01:53 PM by IMtM.)
(08-10-2017 04:53 PM)Caesar Saladin Wrote:  "Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."- T Jefferson, 1789
Hmm. He does raise a good point about hedging one's bets.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)