Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stop being so competative with religion vs religion
02-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Stop being so competative with religion vs religion
Not to name any specific threads, but I have come across many posts which is more or less competing religions against one another, yes you heard me right, and I am not just talking about discussions were people just have strong/deep views, people actually being very competative with their religion/belief/faith and I find it quite sad so I felt I must say something.

First of all let me just say that generally speaking, more people than less in here are probably righteous - they have deep feelings, morals, beliefs, religion, faith, curiosity and good intentions and are probably in some respects are on the right path irrespective to beliefs/religion/faith they follow.

Now also generally speaking (and I've looked into many) religion is their as a guide/faith/belief and they will generally have the right intentions whether you believe in one or another and you should usually respect others religious views whatever they may be whether you agree or not. This doesn't mean don't have an opinion or discuss them etc but I certainly think competing religions is kind of defeating the object, and it's a shame people do this.
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2010, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2010 10:17 PM by biomystic.)
RE: Stop being so competative with religion vs religion
(02-02-2010 06:38 PM)CraigFox Wrote:  Not to name any specific threads, but I have come across many posts which is more or less competing religions against one another, yes you heard me right, and I am not just talking about discussions were people just have strong/deep views, people actually being very competative with their religion/belief/faith and I find it quite sad so I felt I must say something.

First of all let me just say that generally speaking, more people than less in here are probably righteous - they have deep feelings, morals, beliefs, religion, faith, curiosity and good intentions and are probably in some respects are on the right path irrespective to beliefs/religion/faith they follow.

Now also generally speaking (and I've looked into many) religion is their as a guide/faith/belief and they will generally have the right intentions whether you believe in one or another and you should usually respect others religious views whatever they may be whether you agree or not. This doesn't mean don't have an opinion or discuss them etc but I certainly think competing religions is kind of defeating the object, and it's a shame people do this.

Every idea, every new thought, every religious belief system will invariably go through trial by fire. It is hardwired into our human behavior to judge the worth of things by seeing what happens when to something is put under stress--that's how you tell the weak parts--they don't hold up under stress. This is why all efforts at ecumenical comraderie and "why can't we all just get along" never work. When push comes to shove, each believer retracts to the core of what they believe in and defend it come hell or high water. Otherwise, people would have no loyalty to anything.

The Muslims have it right with their concept of Jihad but very wrong in their ideas of what constitutes a "winner". Jesus Christ proved one can "win" a bigger win by sometimes losing by refusal to play out the trial by combat or competition, but still what Jesus did was combat, only combat in a different way--moral combat and at moral standards he won the competition even though he lost in the human arena, i.e., the court of Pilate and Sanhedrin.

It will always be this way, the judging of the worth of things by throwing them into combat or competition with each other in a public arena. But it is good to have rules that govern how the combat is done, e.g. the Muslim rules for warfare which sadly do not include the Christian option of refusal to participate in violence. But there it is, if we look around us objectively we see that all the conferences of world religious leaders publicly endorsing each other's beliefs in a spirit of religious tolerance continually break down when the followers start talking to each other about their cherished beliefs, because each of those beliefs was originally accepted through trial by fire one way or another. It's not a bad thing, really, because putting beliefs on trial eventually will weed out the ones that are inappropriate responses to existing conditions, e.g. the Jewish Torah's commandments whittled down to the Two Greatest Commandments in Christianity because no one today can practice the 613 Mizvot Laws, e.g. stoning one's disobedient son, without landing in prison!
Find all posts by this user
02-03-2010, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2010 11:17 PM by Venedi Sporoi.)
I've often seen that one must perform a sort of balancing act between loyalty to one's own particular belief and inclusion of other religious ideas. I try to lay emphasis on similarities, and I do believe that all Gods exist- perhaps not literally as portrayed- but at least exist to hear the prayers of those who believe in them. I certainly do not exclude the one who has held sway in Europe for over a thousand years now, when I include so many others. That however, is theory; in practice, I believe one thing. My boundary line is drawn where practice ends and theory begins.

At the same time, religions compete independently for us. There will always have been some mental weighing of options and the forming of a rationale behind anyone's proclaimed belief, and the simple sharing of that logic is not the same as not having respect for someone. I have respect for many people on this forum whom I sometimes explictly disagree with.
02-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I kinda feel the same way about this, so more then often I don't get involed, okay ocassionaly I do. But still. People like to trade veiws and it helps many understand a topic better. Basically it is a way of learning more so then of hatin and debatinSmile
02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I'd have to agree with this too, and it's a little why I'm keeping out of conversations at the moment (as well as not having as much time to read everything here as I'd like).

There's almost a sense of getting one up on other people's faith sometimes, which is fine in its place, but does not necessarily make for the most pleasant reading for an outsider.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What led me to question my religion? Japle 288 5,635 12-06-2017 04:49 PM
Last Post: Amememhab
  Religion Nurisadisaae 22 472 10-22-2017 07:25 PM
Last Post: KAYSER
  Religion AseeSah 51 1,350 10-22-2017 06:06 AM
Last Post: ajay0
  QUESTIONING A GOD AND RELIGION secretagent 68 1,957 10-19-2017 04:22 AM
Last Post: Amememhab
  Isn't it time to upgrade your religion? %mindless_detector% 0 99 10-14-2017 07:50 PM
Last Post: %mindless_detector%
  Can religion lead to world destruction? curlsandjeans 50 1,599 08-03-2017 01:51 PM
Last Post: Caesar Saladin
  "What am I?" Religion quizzes Caesar Saladin 14 515 07-03-2017 09:50 AM
  How do you pick a religion? jd01 94 6,912 06-23-2017 10:09 AM
  Will God's plan destroy religion? solewatchman 20 879 06-23-2017 09:41 AM
Last Post: Mark51
  Religion vs Science Scientist 29 1,099 06-18-2017 05:17 AM
Last Post: PeterPants

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)