Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Street Preachers
03-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Street Preachers
My college has recently been visited by a street preacher one who calls himself brother mathew and according to him nazism is caused by darwinism and evolution is disproved by skippy peanut butter of the lighter side of his rants, on the darker side though we have god hates fags and he running up to every female student and calling them a [censored]. I must ask is this the kind of fanaticism intensive bible reading produces? Is this the message of God?

heres the idiots webpage for reference its filled with nothing but hate and fear. http://www.officialstreetpreachers.com

"Perhaps you've seen them only then you've just believed
And when they're fleeing then you feel you've been deceived
But in that feeling something ancient's been retrieved"
-Jack Hardy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
RE: Street Preachers
Well, it's the message of what he believes to be God. But keep in mind, it's always easier to unite people if you give them something to hate. It's true, evolution was used as an excuse for fascist propaganda, but it was really just hand-waiving. If there had been no theory of evolution, they would have found another excuse, because it was their hatred of others that united the people.

Homosexuals are the current whipping boys of fundamentalists especially, because by hating homosexuals, Muslims, and others you create a powerful allegiance to the church.

The History channel recently did an expose of inside the KKK. In today's society, you think, how could anyone join such a backwards society? But it was fascinating to listen to the speeches given at rallies and protests, and to hear the points that they hit. Fear, hatred, brotherhood, and "traditional" values pepper the speeches. Other groups are painted as criminals, ne'er-do-wells, and agents that will destroy the fabric of society.

Now, I use fascists and the KKK because they're obvious examples, but these methods of propaganda are extremely effective. After 9/11 the appeal to fear and patriotism was so powerful that many laws were passed with minimal review of Congress. It is the solemn duty of all who wish to avoid the atrocities of the past to look beyond claims to fear, hatred, brotherhood and tradition, and look toward claims of hope, goodness, kindness, and virtue. (By "tradition" here I mean "the way things have always been." Obviously some traditions are there for a reason, but never forget that they are there for that reason. The moment people forget the reasons, or the reasons vanish, the tradition is worthless and in fact dangerous).
03-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Quote:I must ask is this the kind of fanaticism intensive bible reading produces? Is this the message of God?

I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question... Tongue

But yeah, I pretty much agree with GTseng. I've seen the shouting type visit our campus before as well, and they're mostly just nutters. Somewhat entertaining, though, until the hate speech starts up.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
03-12-2009, 09:51 AM
The squeaky wheels always get the grease ... or in this case, the press. For every right wing nut preacher there are a thousand who preach the truth ... as the Christian bible teaches. These days, it seems that everyone has an agenda and the freedom of speech that Americans have is a fantastic platform. It bothers me that the ranting street preachers that spread hate and fear are what so many people believe Christianity is all about.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
03-12-2009, 11:06 AM
(03-12-2009 09:51 AM)Alison Wrote:  The squeaky wheels always get the grease ... or in this case, the press. For every right wing nut preacher there are a thousand who preach the truth ... as the Christian bible teaches. These days, it seems that everyone has an agenda and the freedom of speech that Americans have is a fantastic platform. It bothers me that the ranting street preachers that spread hate and fear are what so many people believe Christianity is all about.

I'd have to disagree with you there. Your "thousand" often still preach hate, just in a more subtle manner. Also, they contradict each other, cannot agree on the basics of their faith, etc.

The infighting of Christianity is one reason (and only one of many) why I find God unlikely. If there really was a God, wouldn't the truth of him be made a little clearer? I mean, I'm not asking for everyone to believe it, but at least some direction?
03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
(03-11-2009 04:48 PM)Urthred Wrote:  My college has recently been visited by a street preacher one who calls himself brother mathew and according to him nazism is caused by darwinism and evolution is disproved by skippy peanut butter of the lighter side of his rants, on the darker side though we have god hates fags and he running up to every female student and calling them a [censored]. I must ask is this the kind of fanaticism intensive bible reading produces? Is this the message of God?

I would have just agreed whole-heartedly and pointed him in the direction of the closest gay bar or feminist rally for people to convert. Big Grin

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
03-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Had a guy like this roll through my college campus when I was there. Called himself Brother Jed and launched himself freely into similar tirades and offensive accusations. There was another group with large signs and placards with slogans like "Pre$byterians," "God hates: Catholics, sports nuts, feminists, homosexuals" and so on.

Thing is, I wouldn't consider this hate speech. Sure, it offends our modern sensibilities of gender equality and so on, but I doubt the people spouting this nonsense truly hate feminists or homosexuals. Rather, they make such outlandish statements in order to grab peoples' attention and direct them to what they believe to be truth and salvation. Misguided? Sure. Hate speech? Might be going a bit far.

That's the consequence of freedom of speech. Everyone gets their platform. To regulate it, I feel, would not be in anyone's best interest.

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah
08-03-2009, 08:06 PM
"2 Timothy 2:24-25: And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth."
haha i think these are the people who at general general conference this year where screaming at little kids that they where going to hell...
using megaphones to express religious belief should be banned

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)