Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Suicide
05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Suicide
Good Morning,

As you can see, I am new to your forum. I have a question regarding suicide and at what point a suicide-like act becomes a sin.

Recently, a family member took a large dose of medication. By the amount of medication taken and the actions taken afterward, it is reasonable to assume that suicide was intended. My family member immediately then went to another household member, advised them of what had happened, and sought medical treatment. The "why" of these actions is yet unknown. The treatments were unsuccessful and my family member passed.

My question is: If suicide is a sin, is it possible to realize one's mistake, repent (by taking action to correct the mistake or otherwise) and be forgiven? Does the forgiveness depend upon the success of the suicide attempt or the success of the treatments to remedy it? I would be pleased to hear (read?) the opinions of people of all faiths. Thank you.

Ted
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
RE: Suicide
The place that you have to get too to commit suicide is such a horrible, horrible place, it's a place beyond all hope, the person in that situation is no longer in control of his/her thoughts or capacities. If your God condemns such a person, then I'm sorry but you need a new God.
I'm really sorry for your loss, I hope that you can find some peace and I hope that your family member found the peace they sought.
Good Luck

????????????????
05-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Of course suicide is not a sin, it's simply suicide. Why attach unnecessary labels to things? Is masturbation a table? No, it's masturbation! If you want to get into the implications of suicide, well that's a completely different matter and there are two sides to it:

1. Suicide is an act of desperation and hopelessness where the urge to die far outweighs the urge to live. It is hard to judge a person that is so clearly finished with life, except...
2. Suicide is one of the most selfish acts a human could ever engage in. Taking away one's own life at the expense of pain and sadness of those whom love that person is unforgivable until you take into account the sheer hopelessness and desperation of the person committing suicide...

It's one of those circular arguments that can never really be solved. To your story. I can not believe that you are actually concerned with whether or not the passed family member will be "forgiven." You just lost somebody and you are concerned about that?! Let me get this straight: are you asking whether or not a person can be forgiven for attempting to seek medical assistance? Since there is no such thing as God or gods, the real question is this: Do you forgive that person? Does your family forgive that person? That's all that matters here. And look at it this way, since I am assuming you are religious, if God was good and loving, He would understand the pain and desperation your family member was experiencing, since it was your "loving" God that caused that pain in the first place that resulted in him/her dying. I would be angry at God for allowing him/her to suffer in the first place, and twice as angry for letting him/her die. Therefore, your God is evil. Thankfully for you, God does not exist so don't worry about your family member burning in hell; that God awful creation of your loving God does not exist either. Grow up, mourn the death, support your family, and stop worrying about forgiveness.

We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake
05-11-2010, 12:41 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2010 12:50 AM by TheJackel.)
You want to know what changed my life away from suicide? It was a rather simple roughly 18 minute speech that made me realize why I wasn't happy.. I needed to start doing things that I believe in, and follow those things that which makes me happy.. When we follow life and what others want from us all the time we spiral into depression because we are made to feel like we ought to conform and meet the expectations and standards our society and culture.. This has driven me to find out how the real world works because I believe truth comes from it's true source of origin.. I am driven by my own direction to which leads me in a path that give me purpose worth living for.. And I find this in realistic observation of myself and the world around me.. Hence I want to Know why I am really here, and why am I doing the things that I do.. So I will link you to this speech, and it may very well Change your mind on many of the things you conform to vs things you follow because you believe in the essence of why you follow the things you truly believe in..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0HIF3Sf...r_embedded
05-11-2010, 12:48 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2010 01:12 AM by Venedi Sporoi.)
In Lithuanian pre-Christian belief, it has been said that suicide accomplishes literally nothing. No one leaves this world early. If you try to leave early, you just come back in another form or body until you serve your allotted time. Then you might find Dausos, which is essentially heaven. It achieves nothing but making other people unhappy- but I suppose most people already know that part, which is what I think deters a lot of would-be suicides. Sometimes people don't realize the connections they have with other people when they're troubled. This isn't something that someone would be punished for ideally- ideally it would be something they get a chance to work past, and never do again. A number of beliefs, not just Hinduism, have taught that one gets more than one chance. Pythagoreanism, for one. Just my two cents on exotic, rarely-mentioned theology.
07-12-2010, 09:56 PM
(05-10-2010 10:37 AM)kevlar Wrote:  The place that you have to get too to commit suicide is such a horrible, horrible place, it's a place beyond all hope, the person in that situation is no longer in control of his/her thoughts or capacities. If your God condemns such a person, then I'm sorry but you need a new God.
I'm really sorry for your loss, I hope that you can find some peace and I hope that your family member found the peace they sought.
Good Luck

I absolutely agree with your statement. Suicide is definitely a sin because it is not a free accident that could happen. God knows where you can meet your end.

Medical Alert
07-13-2010, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2010 08:15 AM by digipixel.)
(05-10-2010 10:37 AM)kevlar Wrote:  The place that you have to get too to commit suicide is such a horrible, horrible place, it's a place beyond all hope, the person in that situation is no longer in control of his/her thoughts or capacities. If your God condemns such a person, then I'm sorry but you need a new God.
Good Luck

I 100% agree with kevlar on this one! I have known both a family member, and one friend who commited suicide. In fact, one of those friends was a fundamentalist minister.

Suicide in NOT a sin. It is a final act of desperation to relieve mental anguish and suffering that must be both unimaginable and unbearable.

I partially agree with another poster that suicide appears to be a very selfish act, because the person who commited suicide is totally disregarding the feelings of those around him or her. However, any person who is suicidal is NOT thinking clearly. They probably realize what they are about to do is selfish, but their own psychic pain is go great they don't fully comprehend the devastating emotional effect their suicide will have on family and friends.

The best those of us who are left behind can do is deal with our own loss and pain, and do our best to forgive the one who decided to leave us.

Another caution - suicide (and especially depression) tends to run in families, so if you or another loved one appears to be at risk, please seek professional help!! Counseling and medical treatment are available!!
07-14-2010, 03:02 PM
If they immediately sought medical help then they never had any real intention of committing suicide, although it was most certainly a desperate cry for attention/help. It's a great shame that they lost their lives in this way.

The way you talk about sin I would say that you're Christian or Muslim, either way it is said that God knows what is in your heart and is merciful and forgiving, so if you repent your actions but die anyway then God should forgive you.

I don't believe in sin, so I don't think it is a problem in that regard. I think if people are contemplating suicide, or taking pills then immediately calling an ambulance then something is clearly very wrong. If there were such a thing as sin then in this it would be the sin of others not noticing that this person is in great emotional pain.

The greatest strength is in resisting provocation.
07-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Suicide is mostly frowned upon, but many cultures have their own interpretations of it. In Japan for hundreds of years seppuku--relieving a samurai's family of the dishonour the samurai brought by having him disembowel himself--was normal. Suicide is the final act of desperation for any animal, human or not. (We know, since a dolphin once committed suicide)
It is only considered a sin by the Abrahamic religious texts; whether it is against the possible God is uncertain. I think that, although suicide harms those around you emotionally, it is your choice and it isn't sinful. It's sad and terrible, but it isn't sinful.

make a wish: http://www.real-wishes.com
07-16-2010, 10:25 PM
(07-16-2010 06:19 PM)vociferous Wrote:  Suicide is the final act of desperation for any animal, human or not. (We know, since a dolphin once committed suicide)

After I read this I googled "Do animals commit suicide" and was shocked at what I had read. I always knew animals had a deep emotional side and carried strong bonds with others, but to read stories of them suiciding was very interesting. But it is hard to say whether or not suicide in animals is a conscious decision. Most of the stories I read were about animals denying food and later starving to death after a loved one passes, which seems like a severe case of depression.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suicide- Is It OK Sometimes mack22 40 1,730 04-04-2017 08:16 AM
Last Post: KAYSER
  Was Jesus a victim of self aggrandizing suicide? Greatest I am 6 832 06-05-2011 10:50 AM
Last Post: Painkiller

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)