Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sunni or shia
04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Sunni or shia
I am Muslim but am not sure weather i should become a Sunni or a Shia.

The reason why i am not sure is because i do not know the difference? Can anyone explain the difference to me?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2011, 11:54 AM
RE: Sunni or shia
You should just become a Muslim.

The shi'a are just a sect that diverged from the mainstream Muslim society over political issues (ie. who should or shouldn't have been appointed as the first leader of the Muslim community). Since those issues are not even relevant anymore, neither is their sectarianism.

Islam replaced monkishness by manliness. It gives hope to the slave, brotherhood to mankind..
(Isaac Taylor, Anglican Canon of York).
04-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Thank you for that information my friend.
04-19-2011, 09:31 PM
From the thread 'Is the burqa fashionable?', Abu's post #60:

"But the simple is (sic) that Shi'a are a minority, and they have some very different viewpoints from mainstream Muslims, and therefore it's not surprising they might have skewed experiences of Islam. "

Abu's post #62 from the same thread:

"given that 9 out of 10 Muslims are part of the mainstream, not the minority Shi'a, I think it's a little ridiculous to put them on the same level."

Abu's post #64 from the same thread:

" I don't think it's right to categorise someone's experience of Shi'ism with mainstream Islam, since it is vastly different."

Abu's post #41 from the thread Sunni/Shia dliemmas:

"That doesn't change the fact that ayatollahs in Iraq or Iran have nothing to do with mainstream Islam, they certainly do not establish that there's a leadership of "mullahs" there."

As Abu has said in his post here in this thread #2,

"The shi'a are just a sect that diverged from the mainstream Muslim society over political issues (ie. who should or shouldn't have been appointed as the first leader of the Muslim community). Since those issues are not even relevant anymore, neither is their sectarianism."

He could not be more plain it seems that he not only views Sunni as the only valid branch of Islam, but that he views Shia and their divergent views as irrelevant. The historical reasons behind the split between Sunni and Shia may not seem relevant to him any longer but they are certainly relevant to countless millions around the world. In my own post #23 in the thread Sunni/Shia Dliemmas I posed this question:

" If those who are Shia follow different hadiths that (sic) those who are Sunni then there is a difference in faith as interpreted by both groups, isn't there?"

Isa responded by saying yes that is true. There is more going on here than a simple political dustup from centuries ago. It is difficult to conclude anything other than that Abu is being entirely dismissive of a significant branch of Islam because it is different than his own.

Muhammad, if your question is genuine I would suggest to you that you might get a more balanced and useful answer elsewhere.
04-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Hello,

I you both don't mind I also want to give my view of things. I would agree with Visqueen that the view of Abu Rashid seem in post quite different from his view in other threads, which I don't find negative at all. It is also true that it is not entirely a political difference today. Historically it started with a mere political difference which you can still see in the term used. The term sunni is derived from the word sunnah which can be loosely translated as way to act or tradition while the word shia can be translated as party. The basic political dispute was if the leader of the muslim state should be determined by heritage or by qualifications. The later called shia were the opinion the leader should only be from the family of the prophet, on whom be peace, while the later sunni's argued the quality of the leader is independent of ones family. These initial political difference led with the time passing to various theological differences. What I would argue today is that most shia's today have not significantly different theological views compared to sunni's. It is true that if you study traditional shia theological books you find views like the imam's are incapable of doing mistakes, controlling every atom in the universe and having the right to overwrite commandments given in the Qur'an, but you find similarly strange views also from some sunni scholar's. Although this is the case most common shia's as well as sunni's are unaware of such theological teachings and would even reject it when asked about it. Most of the theological views seen as problematic are not hold by most common shia's as far as I can tell. Therefore I would not a reason why someone should condemn categorically shia's. On the contrary especially in the last decades I see that the views of both groups come closer and closer to each other.

From my personal experience I would advise you to get knowledge about Islam and learn from anyone who you think you can benefit from. Furthermore I would advise you not to readily accept anything that someone tell you about Islam, but rather be sceptical about it and try to get your own opinion what is islamic and what is not. I for my part asked myself which group I should join for a long time and always came back to where I began until I realized I don't have the need to join any group, but rather take knowledge from anyone whom I see fitting and decide then for myself what I believe is correct. It was a this time my view was also confirmed by several verses and ahadith which speaks against the parting of muslims into groups so that today I would refuse to label myself with any other thing than being a muslim.
04-20-2011, 05:36 AM
There is nothing contradictory about my posts at all, they are insignificant, as is the original dispute.

My view is not negative at all, I prayed next to a Shi'a just a few days ago in my local mosque, and have no problem with them at all, unless they engage in slandering of the noble companions of Muhammad (pbuh), then I would treat them as any non-believer.

Islam replaced monkishness by manliness. It gives hope to the slave, brotherhood to mankind..
(Isaac Taylor, Anglican Canon of York).
04-20-2011, 07:46 AM
(04-19-2011 10:25 PM)Hamza Abdulhakim Wrote:  Hello,

I you both don't mind I also want to give my view of things. I would agree with Visqueen that the view of Abu Rashid seem in post quite different from his view in other threads, which I don't find negative at all. It is also true that it is not entirely a political difference today. Historically it started with a mere political difference which you can still see in the term used. The term sunni is derived from the word sunnah which can be loosely translated as way to act or tradition while the word shia can be translated as party. The basic political dispute was if the leader of the muslim state should be determined by heritage or by qualifications. The later called shia were the opinion the leader should only be from the family of the prophet, on whom be peace, while the later sunni's argued the quality of the leader is independent of ones family. These initial political difference led with the time passing to various theological differences. What I would argue today is that most shia's today have not significantly different theological views compared to sunni's. It is true that if you study traditional shia theological books you find views like the imam's are incapable of doing mistakes, controlling every atom in the universe and having the right to overwrite commandments given in the Qur'an, but you find similarly strange views also from some sunni scholar's. Although this is the case most common shia's as well as sunni's are unaware of such theological teachings and would even reject it when asked about it. Most of the theological views seen as problematic are not hold by most common shia's as far as I can tell. Therefore I would not a reason why someone should condemn categorically shia's. On the contrary especially in the last decades I see that the views of both groups come closer and closer to each other.

From my personal experience I would advise you to get knowledge about Islam and learn from anyone who you think you can benefit from. Furthermore I would advise you not to readily accept anything that someone tell you about Islam, but rather be sceptical about it and try to get your own opinion what is islamic and what is not. I for my part asked myself which group I should join for a long time and always came back to where I began until I realized I don't have the need to join any group, but rather take knowledge from anyone whom I see fitting and decide then for myself what I believe is correct. It was a this time my view was also confirmed by several verses and ahadith which speaks against the parting of muslims into groups so that today I would refuse to label myself with any other thing than being a muslim.

Hamza, another calm and thoughtful post from you.
04-20-2011, 03:56 PM
(04-19-2011 10:25 PM)Hamza Abdulhakim Wrote:  ..several verses and ahadith which speaks against the parting of muslims into groups so that today I would refuse to label myself with any other thing than being a muslim.

Agreed upon! Abu said as much also. We shouldn't become shia's or sunni's or salafi's or ismaeli's or sufi's etc, we should become MUSLIMS or those who submit to God.
04-20-2011, 04:12 PM
(04-20-2011 03:56 PM)isa_muhammad Wrote:  
(04-19-2011 10:25 PM)Hamza Abdulhakim Wrote:  ..several verses and ahadith which speaks against the parting of muslims into groups so that today I would refuse to label myself with any other thing than being a muslim.

Agreed upon! Abu said as much also. We shouldn't become shia's or sunni's or salafi's or ismaeli's or sufi's etc, we should become MUSLIMS or those who submit to God.

You may agree with that and Hamza may but Abu has made it very clear that Shia are 'skewed', their views are 'vastly different', they are 'not on the same level' and finally 'irrelevant'. None of that sounds like someone who is warmly accepting of all branches of Islam. Does it to you?
04-20-2011, 05:58 PM
(04-20-2011 04:12 PM)Visqueen Wrote:  None of that sounds like someone who is warmly accepting of all branches of Islam. Does it to you?

No .. I don't warmly accept all branches of Islam either! I don't consider my self to BE in a branch of Islam.
Those people who love to say they are the only ones that are right etc, and call themselves by some group title (other than Muslims), are not following the advice that Almighty God teaches us in the Qur'an .. but then, I'm not surprised.

Sometimes it's a lack of knowledge .. sometimes its tribal pride .. sometimes its corruption ..

I believe the correct religion is in following the Bible & Qur'an .. there doesn't exist a reliable detailed account of Jesus' life, yet there does of Muhammad (peace be with them) .. the books of hadiths clarify the intended meaning of many verses in the Qur'an, and God has told us to listen.

There is no god but The God. Muhammad is His messenger.

There is no need to add anything (innovation), particularly in the name of religion!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Shia vs. sunni? Kraz1992 5 844 05-15-2014 11:29 PM
Last Post: behrooz747
  Who are the Shia - Rajabali Lecture Hamza 0 383 04-30-2013 07:41 PM
Last Post: Hamza
  Sunni/Shia dilemmas Stonecold 42 5,191 03-23-2011 06:07 PM
Last Post: muslim girl
  Shia Suni brothers zulfiqarali 4 1,080 08-12-2010 02:34 AM
Last Post: PhoenixDawn

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)