Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Suppose that God does not exist(case study)
07-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Suppose that God does not exist(case study)
Hi guys,

Suppose that God you believe in does not exist. To make this discussion more productive you really have to imagine that we somehow managed to prove that God is just our imagination, wishful thinking etc., and it has been proven to you. So just take it for the sake of this discussion as true and try to answer the following quetions:

1 How significantly would that fact change your life and what in particular?
2 What is the meaning of the life?
3 How would you account for moral values?
4 Where would you find the positive side of this fact or on what basis would you look at life with awe and inspiration. (Certainly you would look for motivation or somekind of counterpart in your life)

Next time I would like to take this challenge in reverse, however, it would has to be more specified since there is more than one religion, hence different kind of God.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2010, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2010 12:58 PM by StarStuff.)
RE: Suppose that God does not exist(case study)
I know that being an atheist, I'm not the sort of person at whom this question is directed, but I'll give my answers to these questions anyway, since your hypothetical matches what I already believe.

1. Obviously, no significant change to my life.

2. From a purely biological standpoint, our greatest purpose for existance is the attempted continuation of our own genes. In laymen's terms, we live to f­uc­k (with men having more psychological drive toward quantity of mates and women having more psychological drive toward quality of mates, as dictated by the role of each sex in the reproductive process).
As for emotional meaning, life has whatever meaning we choose to assign to it. For myself, I choose to define my life's meaning in terms of what I can do for my students -- if anything I do causes my students to have a better life than they otherwise would have, then my life has accomplished the purpose I have assigned to it.

3. Moral values are a product of psychological and social evolution.
Imagine two tribes of primitive humans. One tribe has specific moral code and ostracizes or executes members who fail to follow that code. The other has no such code.
Tribe #2 will murder, rape, and steal from each other until the tribe is torn apart. Humans cannot survive as well on their own as they can in a community, so it is very likely that this tribe would eventually die out.
Tribe #1, however, could continue to operate peacefully with each other. They could work together to obtain food and protect each other from harm, because they could trust each other not to stab them in the back. Thus, tribe #1 is more likely to survive in the long run.
It really doesn't matter to what extent these traits are genetic -- if they can't be passed through genetics, they can be passed to the next generation through teaching.

4. As somebody who believes that this life is all we get, that there is no afterlife, I consider each and every moment of my life to be precious. I consider life itself to be precious, because once it's done, it's done. That's it.
It seems to me this strongly encourages pacifism in society -- after all, as Bill Maher once said, a president who does not believe his soldiers are going to heaven will probably far less willing to get them killed.
07-12-2010, 01:46 PM
if this planet was without any religion ( god )...... i believe we would be far more peaceful with each other , then on the flip side of the coin......religion does not couse conflict......people do.... . the worship or belief of god(s) has been around from the begining .
06-30-2016, 09:55 PM
You will notice that theists will not even reply to this thread. That is telling.
06-30-2016, 10:23 PM
You will notice only two people at all replied, and then the thread was forgotten six years ago.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
07-01-2016, 10:20 AM
hi, i'm new to the forum and i'm a theist (muslim), i may be missing a lot of things around here since, but may i carry on?
07-01-2016, 11:38 AM
I am not a believer, but since there seems to be interest in the topic I will throw in my opinion.

It would not change anything in my life. I call myself a non-theist. I do not claim God does not exist. But considering the universe at large it is very plain that if there were a creator entity, that would have no bearing on the supposed authority of any religion that would require me to do anything. Beyond that my inquiries into the origins of the Judeo-Christian religions have convinced me that they are man-made.

2 What is the meaning of life?

‘Meaning’ is something that beings with enough intelligence to construct abstractions invent. The universe has no meaning. It is what it is. We create meaning. For me, the meaning of life is to do what I can to help make a world where my fellow humans, present and future, will have a chance to be fully human. This means to begin with that their lives not be overwhelmed by a struggle for survival while embedded in misery, and that the opportunity exists for everyone to appreciate and participate in the most enjoyable, the most enlightening, and the most ennobling aspects of society and culture. And for everyone to have those ambitions as well.

We are a species dependent on social relationships. For most people, survival in the absence of a society would not be a viable option. It is natural that personal survival and survival of those who share our genes would be important concerns. Yet survival requires a larger society than just immediate family. To get along with those outside ourselves and our immediate circle requires rules of behavior that reduce the natural urge to treat others as dangerous competitors and induce cooperation. The rules that we call morals are exactly those that foster such an environment. They are the result of natural selection on the social plane. Societies that followed beneficial rules and penalized violations tended to survive and prosper.

4 Where would you find the positive side of this fact or on what basis would you look at life with awe and inspiration. (Certainly you would look for motivation or some kind of counterpart in your life)

Understanding how the world works – physical, social, mental – is quite awe inspiring and inspirational. That understanding can be leveraged help to create a better world for everyone, putting them in a more favorable position to be filled with awe and be inspired.

Hi shafri and welcome. If you have something to say on the topic, join in! As had been said elsewhere recently, necro-mining should be no obstacle to a good topic. Smile

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan
07-01-2016, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 11:45 AM by shiverleaf15.)
1. Not that much. There would be less commitments for me to follow, and I'd lose some restraints, that's all.
2. Seek for truth, seek for justified belief, and do the morally right things. Avoid the morally wrong things. Seek aesthetic excellence. Avoid mediocrity.
3. Kant's categorical imperative. Or something comparable like that.
4. Truth, rationality, moral goodness, and aesthetic beauty are worth my awe already.

Hope this satisfies renegade as well, since now we've got a theist reply (after three atheist ones).

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
07-01-2016, 02:47 PM
(07-01-2016 11:44 AM)shiverleaf15 Wrote:  Hope this satisfies renegade as well, since now we've got a theist reply (after three atheist ones).
How about an agnostic theist reply. Smile

Not much on a day to day basis. Some of my overall views and beliefs would change, but they are already flexible enough to take into it account.

2 What is the meaning of the life?
To serve my wife ... Sad
Seriously I determine the meaning of my own life, it is primarily about my family and friends with a healthy dose of learning.

I hold closer to Humanism values.

4 Where would you find the positive side of this fact or on what basis would you look at life with awe and inspiration. (Certainly you would look for motivation or somekind of counterpart in your life)
As now, mainly my family and friends. I personally don't need a counterpart in the terms of a "god replacement", but I do get inspiration from many sources such as hiking and camping. This year I have been going back and renewing my passion for archaeology and anthropology, I find find it very inspiring to see how humans have faced challenges and overcome them.
07-01-2016, 05:01 PM
(06-30-2016 09:55 PM)renegade Wrote:  You will notice that theists will not even reply to this thread. That is telling.
To a Hebrew that is a nonsensical thing to even speculate about, there simply would be no existence, no you, no me ,no earth, stars or universes, no forum so what is there to discuss about non existence?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Another "God does Exist Here's Why" shafri 182 3,153 09-14-2017 09:02 AM
Last Post: Alexa
  How you prove god doesnt exist? = yes SimpleQuestions 159 11,618 09-05-2017 07:15 PM
Last Post: Imprecise Interrupt
  Does God exist? AnjaliS3 744 21,092 08-24-2017 06:33 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  Why I am Glad God Does Not Exist Secular Hobbit 40 5,134 06-02-2017 08:01 PM
Last Post: Imprecise Interrupt
  Does God exist? Huitaca 296 33,978 04-11-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: Caesar Saladin
  Does God exist? Becky28 263 17,668 07-24-2013 11:48 PM
Last Post: Visqueen
  Is there a case against God? chucknance 12 1,725 04-03-2012 06:01 PM
Last Post: Satyros
  Does God exist? Sensei 260 26,001 07-19-2011 06:06 AM
Last Post: S-word
  do God exist ? derprinz 92 10,386 01-22-2010 12:05 PM
Last Post: hillbilly

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)