Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
THE END IS COMING SOON
03-31-2009, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2009 09:40 AM by cornflakes.)
THE END IS COMING SOON
foretold thousands of years ago in the bible - it is not too far off in the future - i reckon no more than about 5 years away

i have seen it in a dream a few years ago

WHEN U SEE HEXAGONS OF LIGHTNING FILLING THE WHOLE OF THE NIGHT SKY KNOW THEN THAT THE TIME HAS COME!!

http://www.wordsfromjesus.com

http://www.medjugorje-online.com/forum

http://www.medjugorje.org

http://www.fatima.org

http://www.garabandal.org
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2009, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2009 10:10 AM by clarence clutterbuck.)
RE: THE END IS COMING SOON
Quote:THE END IS COMING SOON

A good thing too. Hopefully after the end comes, there'll be no more laptop computers so I won't have to read this kind of bunk.

I wonder what's on the box?...
03-31-2009, 09:59 PM

Not soon enough.

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah
03-31-2009, 10:57 PM

Hmmmmm....Not again Tongue

monk
Episcopal/Anglican/Religion Community
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2009, 04:04 AM
When the rapture comes, can I have your car? Smile

"Humanity invented religion initially to overcome the permanent loss of consciousness that occurs at death and it was then taken over by groups who use it to control other groups" - Innuendo, from Def-Logic forums.
04-01-2009, 04:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2009 04:50 AM by Anglican.)
(03-31-2009 09:37 AM)cornflakes Wrote:  foretold thousands of years ago in the bible - it is not too far off in the future - i reckon no more than about 5 years away

Sadly you could be right. We came to the very brink of nuclear war in 1983, when the Soviet early warning system mal functioned. We are only here now because a Russian general realised that it was probably a mal-function, and disobeyed an order to unleach Russia's nuclear arsenal. Given that he had saved the world from catastrophe by disobeying a direct order, they couldn't very well court martial him, but he was quietly demoted.

In the course of the coming century we are likely to develop a great many other ways by which we will be able to wipe ourselves off the face of the earth. One British scientist, the president of the Royal Society as it happens, gives us a no better than 50:50 chance of reaching the year 2100 intact. He even asks the question, I suppose anathema to most pure scientists, whether some types of research should simply be banned because they are too dangerous.
04-01-2009, 07:30 AM
First of all I want to point out that you're agreeing with the guy who cannot spell "you" properly.

Second of all, banning any actual technology from being researched is foolish. Methods of research that are immoral, yes, but the actual targets of research? It will be developed eventually. That's my main beef with TV shows and movies where the hero's solution is to "throw the plans into the sea so that such a thing can never be built again" or something like that. Some other scientist will develop it eventually, you're just delaying the inevitable.

Better to embrace the research, but branch it out into preventative measures. Scientists should be a bit pessimistic, for safety's sake, but they should also be realistic and realize that "stopping the research" only means someone else will discover it. Instead they should focus on things like, say, methods to survive a nuclear war, and strains of genetically engineered plants that could take root in an irridated planet's soil afterward.
04-01-2009, 07:09 PM
(04-01-2009 07:30 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  First of all I want to point out that you're agreeing with the guy who cannot spell "you" properly.

Second of all, banning any actual technology from being researched is foolish. Methods of research that are immoral, yes, but the actual targets of research? It will be developed eventually. That's my main beef with TV shows and movies where the hero's solution is to "throw the plans into the sea so that such a thing can never be built again" or something like that. Some other scientist will develop it eventually, you're just delaying the inevitable.

That all depends upon whether the case was considered urgent enough for an international treaty to be put in place.

Quote:Better to embrace the research, but branch it out into preventative measures. Scientists should be a bit pessimistic, for safety's sake, but they should also be realistic and realize that "stopping the research" only means someone else will discover it. Instead they should focus on things like, say, methods to survive a nuclear war, and strains of genetically engineered plants that could take root in an irridated planet's soil afterward.

How about growing human beings who were able to survive on an irradiated planet? You unbounded belief in the omni-competence of science probably means that you think even that is on the cards.
04-01-2009, 10:11 PM
(04-01-2009 07:09 PM)Anglican Wrote:  How about growing human beings who were able to survive on an irradiated planet? You unbounded belief in the omni-competence of science probably means that you think even that is on the cards.

http://www.harvardscience.harvard.edu/an...-radiation

Shows that some animals are capable of impressive resistance to radiation.

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/2-28-2005-66375.asp

Shows the successful combination of human and animal cells.

Sure, it's unpleasant but surely better than the extinction of humanity? And I, personally, will happily believe in science's capability to deal with problems.

"Humanity invented religion initially to overcome the permanent loss of consciousness that occurs at death and it was then taken over by groups who use it to control other groups" - Innuendo, from Def-Logic forums.
04-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Besides, we wouldn't need to necessarily be genetically engineered. We would need shelters capable of helping us survive the original radiation, and we would need medicine to help us tolerate the enhanced radiation until the Earth went back to something approaching normal.

But that's just one example. Other examples include talking about the ethical and moral issues behind things like genetic engineering, cloning, greatly increased lifespans, etc. NOW, while those technologies are being developed, instead of stubbornly trying to stop them until it's too late.

Another thing is that we expect genetically engineered superbugs to be created at some point. We should be using some of that research to learn more about diseases, so that we can stop these bugs when they are created.

But banning certain kinds of research does absolutely nothing, except leave us unprepared and helpless when the technology is discovered.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Second Coming Dan2can 9 1,578 08-20-2016 05:49 PM
Last Post: Herminator
Exclamation The Second Coming? nabeelfarooqui98 3 662 03-30-2014 06:12 PM
Last Post: Sue D.
Exclamation Coming into existence EqualAtheist 30 4,613 11-21-2010 11:49 AM
Last Post: StarStuff
  The End is Coming, then Paradise (videos) The Word 175 18,417 09-10-2010 11:40 AM
Last Post: The Word
  The Second Coming of Jesus......Was Last Week digipixel 86 7,309 08-12-2010 03:02 PM
Last Post: The Word
  the second coming of christ hillbilly 69 7,005 02-20-2010 09:01 AM
Last Post: biomystic
  End time. Will God fail again as in the end time of Noah‘s day? Greatest I am 16 3,291 10-24-2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: Greatest I am

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)